* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Things to avoid and things to look forward to.  (Read 7346 times)

Offline Hyakko

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Things to avoid and things to look forward to.
« on: January 18, 2010, 01:09:32 PM »
ok this thread is going to be about things that should be avoided and what can be done to make things fun but not get too easy.

first thing, the day time and night time should have shorter transitions and shorter durations.
Reason; because if we put in alot of pokemon at different time periods it should give us more leeway. I would say like Rune factory only that timeis always on the move even inside houses and buildings. 1 hour ingame shour be like 2minutes in real life.
Things to avoid; using real time as in 1 hour ingame = 1 hour in real life)

2.Catch rate of pokemon is fixed even with legendaries, but make the pokeballs and specialized balls actually work on catching it more easily rather than frustrating the players with hundreds of bals wasted on one pokemon.
Reason; 3 rules should be respected at all times, one the amount of HP left is an influencial factor, the other than conditions should make life alot easier espescially with paralyze and sleep. No way a pokemon should ever be even capable of resisting capture if asleep or paralyzed.
Then its up to the ball you use to capture, in certain conditions you should be able to capture with minimal difficulties. 10-20 bals is bad but bearable.
Things to avoid: forcing players to waste all their balls for each pokemon they want to capture. legendaries should also be much tougher to defeat as it have more HP but not tougher to capture if the player does what he knows should work for any pokemon.

I'll post more if i get comments on this thread...

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
Re: Things to avoid and things to look forward to.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »
ok this thread is going to be about things that should be avoided and what can be done to make things fun but not get too easy.

first thing, the day time and night time should have shorter transitions and shorter durations.
Reason; because if we put in alot of pokemon at different time periods it should give us more leeway. I would say like Rune factory only that timeis always on the move even inside houses and buildings. 1 hour ingame shour be like 2minutes in real life.
Things to avoid; using real time as in 1 hour ingame = 1 hour in real life)
There will be no day/night system in the first beta's. When we implement a day/night system it'll be like 4 hours IRL = 1 day in-game.

2.Catch rate of pokemon is fixed even with legendaries, but make the pokeballs and specialized balls actually work on catching it more easily rather than frustrating the players with hundreds of bals wasted on one pokemon.
Reason; 3 rules should be respected at all times, one the amount of HP left is an influencial factor, the other than conditions should make life alot easier espescially with paralyze and sleep. No way a pokemon should ever be even capable of resisting capture if asleep or paralyzed.
Then its up to the ball you use to capture, in certain conditions you should be able to capture with minimal difficulties. 10-20 bals is bad but bearable.
Things to avoid: forcing players to waste all their balls for each pokemon they want to capture. legendaries should also be much tougher to defeat as it have more HP but not tougher to capture if the player does what he knows should work for any pokemon.

I'll make a good catching system, no worries.

Trainers will not be able to catch legendary pokemon. Period, we're not going to discuss this, we have other plans.
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline The Fireball Kid

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 05:51:22 PM »
Hmmm, what pokemon that needs to be traded to evolve?

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:37:02 PM »
Thing to avoid:

Making the Game too simple.

IN the anime, it took Ash about 10 years to catch, roughly, 70 pokemon. With the newest generation coming soon, no telling how many pokemon there will be.

If you dont make the catch-encounter rate somewhat difficult, there will be players looking to take advantage of the system.

Im not saying that I want a super tough catch-rate system, but I want one to where it doesnt take 3 months to catch them all. Im hoping to finally play a mmo that doesnt lose me after day 5.

I think that one way to make the game more in line with the quests is to make some pokemon unlockable. (not just the rares) It will force players to get involved in the story-line. It will help make the game a little more realistic as well.

Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 07:36:32 AM »
Thing to avoid:

[..]

I guess that what we could do, is that you have to complete a rather long series of quests that unlocks the entrance to the local pokemon gym.
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 12:52:56 PM »
Thing to avoid:

[..]

I guess that what we could do, is that you have to complete a rather long series of quests that unlocks the entrance to the local pokemon gym.

NO

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 05:30:28 PM »
Thing to avoid:

[..]

NO
yeah...please no

Offline DayStar

• Beginning Trainer
  • Live Life To The Full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 07:29:50 PM »
I dare say Mr_Dark has covered this one up quite well! :) I agree totally!
+1 Post
----------
Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad!
Everybody do the Kirby dance!!!
<( "<) <( " )> (>" )>

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 09:36:45 PM »
Thing to avoid:

[..]

NO
yeah...please no
To be perfectly honest, I don't really dislike this too much. As long as the quests arent too long, I'd prefer this to the way the pokemon games worked meaning that you normally have to defeat a gym before you can progress further with the game.

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 10:13:59 PM »
To be perfectly honest, I don't really dislike this too much. As long as the quests arent too long, I'd prefer this to the way the pokemon games worked meaning that you normally have to defeat a gym before you can progress further with the game.

NO!

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 10:19:22 PM »

NO!
OKay, I'm sorry I spoke :(
*goes and sits in dark corner

Offline Eslin

• Beginning Trainer
  • Ware wa meshia nari!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 02:32:06 AM »
What about pokemon that need to be traded to evolve? These pokemon are scam-vulnerable.

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 11:09:42 AM »
Hopefully you'll be able to make friends ingame with people.
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 05:31:14 PM »
Thing to avoid:

[..]

NO

I understand your disdain for linear games Mr_Dark. (You mentioned it in another thread somewhere). There are many ways to make the game non-linear and non-simple without having to do too too much work.

Having to unlock pokemon after travelling to certain areas or speaking to certain NPCs is one way.

Access to certain PVP arenas could be limited to those that do an introductory quest (like one that Kuhn came up with a while back with the Evee that belonged to another trainer)/tutorial or something simple like that.

The knowlege of a particular type of pokemon (legendary or wishing pokemon like jirachi) would be learned after a certain character lvl and /or speaking to NPC.

Or possibly Speaking to a certain NPC to get the knowledge of the location of a gym.

Doing this would add to the "mystique" of PU. instead of randomly walking around skipping NPCs just to battle, a player would have to take some initiative to explore certain areas.. talk to certain NPCs and  play the game..

Thats what i meant by not making it too simple.

Not sure if this was on anyone's to-do list.. but something like this woud be nice to have.

Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld