* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Stacking [Different status ailments]  (Read 5322 times)

Offline xISmokesIx

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Stacking [Different status ailments]
« on: December 21, 2010, 11:48:41 PM »
Browsing around the site I've seen tons of neat ideas, and I'm aware that the game will incorporate many things from Nitendo's releases; as well, a few great ideas such as quests which no mmo should be without.

(Note: I apologies if this has been mentioned in the forums already, didn't see anything here in suggestions. I browsed and took note of the neat concept of stacking the same ability.)

But

How about some opinions on stacking different abilities?

[Ex:] Hypnosis + Toxic would make for a nasty touch, and really throw some major curve balls in the modern concept/stradegy.  8)

Obviously certain status ailments would just be illogical while others would serve for a great purpose. I myself chose the example of H+T because in my experiences though toxic is a 100% I've often found times where Hypnosis often failed at crucial points, my own point being that you could see the balance, possibly work a percentage value?

[EX.2] Percentage value, fairly self explanatory but this is what my heads currently wrapped around.  Say that T is a given, as is toxic in all games you tend to get that 100% gurantee, set and done. Now from there you have a +1 status ailment to lets say a max of 3. The first of the 3 and thus the easiest. From that point generic [acid] trainer will attempt to stack hypnosis on top of this. Being the attempt at status ailments +2 the success rate will decrease by, lets say 20%? From +2 to +3 a major or minor jump, for the examples sake doubling it would easily seem reasonable. Giving it that real balance and feeling of fair chance.

Or perhaps this may very well throw to much a lean towards those who already develop teams focused on slowly breaking down their opponent? Or just possibly take the fierce edge off those [sweepers] and broaden the potential of a [acidic-(and yeah I use that term because I never really got that hardcore about pokemon)] trainer.
  :o

Love?
Hate?
We already talk about this daily but Smokes was to fail to actually read (every) single suggestion past the title?

Hit me up.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:58:38 PM by xISmokesIx »

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
Re: Stacking [Different status ailments]
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:17:06 AM »
No

That screws with alot of the pokemon mechanics, and teams

Offline xISmokesIx

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 12:26:36 AM »
So many ideas have popped in my head since I've posted this, theres so much to work with on small to large scale. I think I may have even come up with something that maybe even Mr Dark would care to hear about.

I can see your perspective on long term large scale work that I have no understanding of really. Can also see, in my opinion of course, by your trainer card that such  would be a absolutely horrid idea to ya. =o Just a thought, no tough love.

[Updated:] And yeah that would really flip the mechanics around a bit, on large scale terms that is.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:29:02 AM by xISmokesIx »

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 06:32:21 PM »
I think that the way the status ailments are right now are as they should be.

Poison, bad poison, paralysis, burn are permanent for a reason and sleep and freeze are temporary for a reason.

This and then, the game will more likely turn into a 'first-stat-inducer-winner' if you see what I mean.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline xISmokesIx

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 06:02:04 AM »
Yeah I follow you Jerry, though in my defense it can be easily balanced. From my point of view I just don't see it that way, having been playing pokemon online the last couple days I've made an incredible evasion team because I can minimize first. And like I said in the example you could balance it percentage wise.

Hell, you could balance it in so many different ways my eyes spin, ability limiters, certains can not stack, percentage, some skills can only be rank 3,..etc...etc.   

So actually I take it back, first stat inducer-winner I just don't see being possible if logically thought out. But regardless, obviously there isn't much interest seeing as only two people bothered to reply.

Still I agree with Viper; however, if you go ahead and shorten the concept to something like a addition to the different battle methods like doubles and triples or even on a tournament/quest based events I think it could be really fun.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 06:17:43 AM »
I mean like sleep, paralysis and burn might be the most deadly combination... the opponent cannot attack, has atk and spd halved... only a matter of time until it faints, unable to actually put up a real fight.

Having only one stat ailment prevents the 'over-nerfing' of the opponent. It's either of cannot attack, or half speed, or half attack in my example. If you yourself were put in such situation, do you think that you would stand a chance against a healthy pokemon? This is another reason why stat changing moves can boost/reduce for a maximum of 2 stages (in the exception of Memento and Belly drum which have their own drawback on the user), but can be restored by simply switching (easiest) or using Haze.

This is also why some other status problems can be stacked. You can remove them easily: Confusion, Attraction, Disable, etc.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 07:37:30 PM »
Having only one stat ailment prevents the 'over-nerfing' of the opponent. It's either of cannot attack, or half speed, or half attack in my example.

Unless you want to see every support Pokemon in the game at a severely nerfed level of play, this would be a bad idea.

If you play any amount of competitive battling, you would also know that not only would this change be crippling (And no, there wouldn't be a fair way of balancing it without completely gutting and changing the entire way battling works) but it would be an almost guaranteed death sentence to any Pokemon trying to set up a sweep.

I would rather not have my matches drag on for twenty minutes each, because all twelve Pokemon are Poison, Paralysed, and Burned.

Note: Evasion teams are banned in competitive play because they introduce a massive luck factor into the game and do nothing but prolong a match for no specific reason.
Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Daily awesomesauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4uonU_uj0
I have a proud tradition of failure to uphold.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 01:16:44 PM »
About stacking effects.
This is something me and Pidgey discussed while back starting the balance project.
we also considered making changes to the sleep mechanic.

After looking at the problem for some time, and talking with the rest of the staff we came to this conclusion:

1. It would take A LOT of time and effort to make such a system balanced
2. The old system works great, and is balanced, why change it?
3. The use of "stacking status" would decrease the usage of pokemon that cant use status move dramatically.
We whant to make a game where you can use whatever pokemon you want without having to suffer (to much) for it!

I hope that clears things up.

//Gammal 

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 06:02:18 PM »
About stacking effects.
This is something me and Pidgey discussed while back starting the balance project.
we also considered making changes to the sleep mechanic.

After looking at the problem for some time, and talking with the rest of the staff we came to this conclusion:

1. It would take A LOT of time and effort to make such a system balanced
2. The old system works great, and is balanced, why change it?
3. The use of "stacking status" would decrease the usage of pokemon that cant use status move dramatically.
We whant to make a game where you can use whatever pokemon you want without having to suffer (to much) for it!

I hope that clears things up.

//Gammal

In reference to the sleeping system, are yall leaving it the way it is? Or are yall adding some kind of a sleep clause

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 11:00:56 AM »
In reference to the sleeping system, are yall leaving it the way it is? Or are yall adding some kind of a sleep clause

I have always felt that, yes we should have a sleep clause, the fast pokes with sleep powder will rule the game otherwise.
Have we decided anything yet? no.
But im doing my best to convince everyone.

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »

I have always felt that, yes we should have a sleep clause, the fast pokes with sleep powder will rule the game otherwise.
Have we decided anything yet? no.
But im doing my best to convince everyone.

Ah, k im jw because i have a breloom on my team and without a sleep clause its possible for me to spore the entire team if the trainer isnt smart. We gotta give them some sort of a chance right?