* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: PvP battles, please make them fun....  (Read 18488 times)

Offline Kuhns

• Pixel Artist/ Part-Time Lurker
  • Normal Trainer
  • I'm (almost) back! And Sexier than ever! >:D
    • View Profile
Re: PvP battles, please make them fun....
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2010, 03:47:53 AM »
Guys please. One of you thinks that a few items should be allowed, and the other thinks they shouldn't. If you don't like someone else's idea, say exactly what part of it would be bad for the game. Don't resort to cheap shots like mimicking. In a game that will involve a lot of PvP I personally think they should be allowed with the multiple use penalties.

It is a valid point about not wanting to answer a questionnaire about the battle every time you are challenged, and to that end I think the rules should either be fixed or be set by the challenger. This way once the challenge is made, it's just a matter of clicking accept.

Yes ma'am! :P

Im astonished by your ability to argue against my suggestion by completely avoiding my arguments and not adding any of your own.

So to help you out a bit here, im going to re-frace my response into a question.
Why should there be items allowed in battle?

My suggestions are a couple posts up if you didn't see them before.

Why not? Players use them all the time in battles with NPCs. If restricted right, items can add a new twist and layer to PvP battles. Although, yes, I wouldn't want to debate on what items to use/not use before the battle. My thought was banning the use of some items altogether, while continuous use of others raises the chance that those items will fail.

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2010, 04:05:39 AM »

Why not? Players use them all the time in battles with NPCs. If restricted right, items can add a new twist and layer to PvP battles. Although, yes, I wouldn't want to debate on what items to use/not use before the battle. My thought was banning the use of some items altogether, while continuous use of others raises the chance that those items will fail.

Yes I have read them, but I think in my personal oppinon that they are very vauge, however you might be on to something.
How about making a totally new set of items designed to work in pvp battles?
Or something in the line of "talents" as you level up, some once in a battle usable cooldowns.
For example: lvl50; Pokemon crusade; Used instead of a pokemon ability.
Boosts the morale of your pokemon making the next attack to have 50% chance to critical hit.
Something in that along that line.
This would remove the whole "no items/more items!" argument and still adding a bit of extra depth to the PVP in PU.
This could ofcourse also be an item that you obtain ingame, but a PVP designed one.
But I still strongly belive that adding potions and other items normally obained through questing and grinding would destroy the fun in pvp.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 04:07:14 AM by Gammal »

Offline Kuhns

• Pixel Artist/ Part-Time Lurker
  • Normal Trainer
  • I'm (almost) back! And Sexier than ever! >:D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2010, 04:11:16 AM »

Yes I have read them, but I think in my personal oppinon that they are very vauge, however you might be on to something.
How about making a totally new set of items designed to work in pvp battles?
Or something in the line of "talents" as you level up, some once in a battle usable cooldowns.
For example: lvl50; Pokemon crusade; Used instead of a pokemon ability.
Boosts the morale of your pokemon making the next attack to have 50% chance to critical hit.
Something in that along that line.
This would remove the whole "no items/more items!" argument and still adding a bit of extra depth to the PVP in PU.
This could ofcourse also be an item that you obtain ingame, but a PVP designed one.

Oh, I like that one about cooldown timers. Based on turns? ;) New Items have been discussed before, but I don't think for PvP specifically. It might be a cool idea to post a brainstorming topic for the other members to fest think on.

Offline The Fireball Kid

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 04:13:35 AM »
In the end (PvP) battles will be as fun as you make them ;)

That has to go both ways.

I'd prefer no items allowed in tournaments and be an option with regular duels.

Offline Gingimon

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
  • TUSP [] [] NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2010, 09:24:28 PM »
I dont think there should be ANY items appart from hold ones in pvp.
If someone is using a curse lax, cursing, cursing, cursing, down to very low hp, you can kill it since you are faster... But wait.. FULL RESTORE! GREAT! GG... NOT FUN

exactly, this would be very very unfair.
Support PU!

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
  • legenadaries are just too OP... just too OP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 01:36:14 PM »
/agree

no items in pvp!
"Call me Tom."

Offline Pericles

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2010, 07:29:24 AM »
"Or maybe it should be the other way around - 1 pokemon = 6 items; 2 pokemons = 5 items... etc.

This would make casual battles more fair since different players may have less then 6 Pokemon in their party during more early parts in the game.... in a nutshell, it would be like a handicap in golf."

But usually when people have 1 Pokemon it is much higher level than someone with six because they have focused on training that one Pokemon. In Pokemon, when I only level my starting Pokemon it has already evolved by the second gym leader.

Offline Chaoseth

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 08:29:46 AM »
Doesn't the fact that you get to battle with other people, not just video game created ones, automatically make PVP battles more fun?

If your use to game-boy's or Nintendo video games then the PVP battling should seem very fun to people who never played MMO's or games on DS..and even so it's a different game meaning the experience you'll get once you start playing will be new and that will make the battling fun in its own way.

Offline Hiteryan

• Music Composer
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • Oh gawd awesoem.
    • View Profile
    • Hitey's YouTube
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 01:36:04 PM »
"Or maybe it should be the other way around - 1 pokemon = 6 items; 2 pokemons = 5 items... etc.

This would make casual battles more fair since different players may have less then 6 Pokemon in their party during more early parts in the game.... in a nutshell, it would be like a handicap in golf."

But usually when people have 1 Pokemon it is much higher level than someone with six because they have focused on training that one Pokemon. In Pokemon, when I only level my starting Pokemon it has already evolved by the second gym leader.

I have to say I agree with this post. Pretty much it would be that, and a few select items would not be allowed, such as Full Restore/Full Heal/whatever.
Pokémon Universe Music Composer Guy Dude Person!
Hiteryan on YouTube - Vimeo (I'm a filmmaker too!) - last.fm

Offline baralai15

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2010, 01:42:23 PM »
I agree with no Full Restores or heals. Maybe minor potions could be allowed but full restores will piss the crap out of people. Say you have a snorlax or steelix and they have really high defenses and it takes soo long to get their health down and you only have 1 hit left to KO it. Your opponent uses 'full restore', i dont know about everyone else but that sure will be hell.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2010, 01:46:32 PM »
But some gym leaders (NPC) and elite 4 members do use two full restore at times ::) (Limited to two for them, and the champion often has about 5 of them when their pokemon are weak)
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Hiteryan

• Music Composer
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • Oh gawd awesoem.
    • View Profile
    • Hitey's YouTube
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2010, 03:17:42 PM »
But some gym leaders (NPC) and elite 4 members do use two full restore at times ::) (Limited to two for them, and the champion often has about 5 of them when their pokemon are weak)

Well yes but that's one of the things that make Gym Leaders and Elite 4 mainly even harder :b which they are supposed to be.
Pokémon Universe Music Composer Guy Dude Person!
Hiteryan on YouTube - Vimeo (I'm a filmmaker too!) - last.fm

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2010, 04:45:34 PM »
If it were up to me, I would have said limited full restores and other items the way Pericles stated, which is a good idea by the way. Then forbid the items which revive pokemon (revive, max revive, revival herb and the dangerous sacred ash!)
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2010, 06:21:03 PM »
I like the idea of having the players toggle which pvp options they would like (i.e. unlimited potions, unlimited revives, etc). And have the player to agree to what would be prohibited and permitted in the battle.

And have a standard template for pvp tournaments (like no items, no exp, etc.)
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld