* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Professions  (Read 11383 times)

Offline Annafu

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Professions
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 06:09:28 AM »
I actually love this idea and think it would be really cool if implemented correctly. I especially love the pokeball, hold item, and tailor ideas. Shame my profession of choice wouldn't really be feasible to be implemented.

Offline Wendigo7

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »
Right thought I'd put my 2 cents on this. We appear to have some professions. Can't really change that. Let's look at OTHER areas which although I don't want to turn to Warcraft.. it's revolutionised alot of things that are good about MMOs, and we can Nitpick some things of it that makes it good:

Make all areas accessible except Beginner areas

Skillsets - aka Non Profession Skills - PvP, Exploring, PvE (3 set in stone sets).. maybe 1 more called attachment (this means instead of training in the other skills, it allows you an extra 1 or 2 slots per level in Profession training in stead to make up for this loss...

Gyms used as LIMITERS. Here's an interesting idea off the top of my head. You have to have MORE than 8 gyms in the game, that seems a universal idea on here. If say, you fight the first gym at a fire gym, you cannot fight a "fire type gym" again. Therefore you have to play against 8 different types of gym at varying levels. Within this, each gym has a separate secluded area for catching pokemon if you beat that specific gym, and the pokemon in THAT area cannot be caught anywhere else in the game. Also, specific items could be bought from the shop in the gym itself.

This brings the trading and selling elements into the game, meaning there's not 1 set path.. you could link this to quests as well... Aka, if you beat your second gym at the Ice Type Area in "XXX Town" it unlocks a specific set of quests... This gives the game variation.. meaning there's NO RIGHT PATH - That's Key.

It would limit what you could do, but not feel restricted as you have access to all of the game. Just make it aware to players that going in certain areas there are MUCH stronger pokemon in grass...

Make some quests profession based.. So if your an explorer.. you can do an exploring quest XXX... And this has a leading quest following on etc.

"REMEMBER" - Make the Gym battles very hard. If they are Limiters or if we follow this idea.. They should be routes to unlocking new parts to the game (I dont mean land areas either..) The rewards to match it. Aka, if you beat your first gym.. your allowed more than 3 pokemon, they will obey you to X Level, and your pokemon can learn more than 2 moves. It also opens open "XXX Shop" and "XXX Training/Capture Area".. you have earned X Amount.

These might already have been said. But just a few ideas I'd put in.

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 11:40:12 AM »
 Thank you for your input, although it doesn't really say much about the Topic.

- Why would Gyms be good as limiters? I don't see a reason for certain type of Pokémon being catchable only if you beat a certain type of Gym. That's not really what Pokémon is about.

- I believe there will be a Gym for each type of Pokémon, so your idea about having more than 8 Gyms has already been mentioned.

- Profession based Quests? If there will be Professions, there will be quests attached.
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Wendigo7

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 11:39:31 AM »
Thank you for your input, although it doesn't really say much about the Topic.

- Why would Gyms be good as limiters? I don't see a reason for certain type of Pokémon being catchable only if you beat a certain type of Gym. That's not really what Pokémon is about.

- I believe there will be a Gym for each type of Pokémon, so your idea about having more than 8 Gyms has already been mentioned.

- Profession based Quests? If there will be Professions, there will be quests attached.

I saw that only in a thread this morning so apologies for not seeing that.

Hmm, what I meant was not beating a certain type of gym limited you to catching certain pokemon, you're right there. I meant each Gym was built in with a shop and a patch of grass. Nearly all pokemon we're catchable, but since, there's 8 badges or gym's (even though I know now you guys have taken a certain route with this it won't matter :) ), each gym had a pokemon (2 or 3) which couldn't be caught in the wild.

IE for example. Beating the electric gym for example, meant that, you had access to a grass area which had the pokemon: Electabuzz, Mareep, Pichu. These pokemon were only catchable here, so only if you did this gym for example could you catch these specific electric pokemon, but everywhere else electric pokemon (obviously within the region where they are catchable) are obtainable normally. Trying to put a meaning into choosing the right gym for you as you had a favourite pokemon in that specific area.

I'm just not sure it's very smart making all pokemon accessible and everyone being able to have them all. I've played alot of MMOs and when things are accessible for everyone, it takes away from the game rather than adding value to it. There's less work etc. It would mean people having in theory if they were all accessible, people just going into grassareas and hoarding new pokemon, and there would be no reason to trade items or pokemon with people as we would all have them kind of thing  :-\.

It's hard to know what has and hasn't been outlaid on here  :-[. I've seen sections which have been set in stone but there's no finite page of what has and hasn't been set in place. If I knew that (hope I haven't come across too brash and arrogant, just thought I'd add a few ideas more than anything) I'd look at those ideas and add something to them, rather than just spout rubbish like this on here  :-\

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 07:26:19 PM »
Oh, about the 'no reason to trade', I see many reasons to trade.

- Some pokemon will be rare, and others accessible only through quests.
- IVs are an important part of the competitive play. I'm sure a lot of trainers would like to trade a pokemon with better IVs.
- Favourites? People do love some particular pokemon and would trade to get them early instead of later in game.
- Some pokemon might be tournament exclusive, or some specific pokemon be, and sometimes, the one getting the pokemon for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 10th time might want to trade it to please a friend.
- Event pokemon? One might want to trade an event pokemon which one got plenty of and don't find anything particularly special about that pokemon while another trainer might be eager to trade it.
- Some people want other people to train their pokemon...
- Some pokemon evolve through trade. I doubt that they will be much different in PU.

And probably more.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...