Off-Topic Discussions > Other Chat

The name game: How your name says how attractive you are

<< < (2/6) > >>

CelaGhost:
You've definitely fallen for movie "propaganda".   :D

Tickles:
So have you. It's not that you're doing it blatantly, your brain is the one doing it to you.

Allow me to tell you of a friend of mine named Troy. He is a tall person with curly brown hair and braces. He is not that great to look at, as some women have told me. Well, not only would woman talk to him, they would give him their number. Me, being unlucky with women, asked him how he did it. He told me he simply said, Hi, I'm Troy, and the conversation would go from there. I decided to run an experiment. I got a picture of just his face and talked to about 20 women, They took one look at the photo and basically said eewww followed by who is that. I told them his name was Troy. 16 of them went from eeww to well, he does seem charming.  I did the same thing, 20 different women, and used my name instead. Only 2 had a small change in view, while the rest seemed to be more disgusted.

And it was all because of a slight change in name. You will never do it consciously, you brain will do it on its own.

Aquashin:
myname doesnt appear there.

Tickles:
Alright, no one say their name does not appears there anymore, because I gave you an experiment you can run on your own using your own name. Obviously, the scientists can't do every name in the freakin world. Even if your name is not on that list, it still doesn't exclude you. It just means you name isn't as common as those, because the article states that those are the most popular first names.

How to determine where you fit in all of that

1. Get a picture of a friend of yours you believe to be attractive to the opposite sex, and one you determine to be the least attractive to the opposite sex.

2. Ask a set amount of people to look at on of the pics. They may ask who is that, if not continue on anyway.

3. Simply say, this is "......".

4. See if they have a change in reaction, like saying something different, or if they still have the same point of view.

5. Write down you result until you reach your control number.

6. Repeat steps 2-5 with the same pic, except using your name the next round with different people. If you want to continue, use names from that list as well. Don't forget to do the same thing for the otehr pic

The experiment will cost no money to do, and all you need is just a little free time. Have some friends join in on it as well to get and compare results.

CelaGhost:

--- Quote from: Cortex J. on June 11, 2012, 07:16:36 PM ---So have you. It's not that you're doing it blatantly, your brain is the one doing it to you.

Allow me to tell you of a friend of mine named Troy. He is a tall person with curly brown hair and braces. He is not that great to look at, as some women have told me. Well, not only would woman talk to him, they would give him their number. Me, being unlucky with women, asked him how he did it. He told me he simply said, Hi, I'm Troy, and the conversation would go from there. I decided to run an experiment. I got a picture of just his face and talked to about 20 women, They took one look at the photo and basically said eewww followed by who is that. I told them his name was Troy. 16 of them went from eeww to well, he does seem charming.  I did the same thing, 20 different women, and used my name instead. Only 2 had a small change in view, while the rest seemed to be more disgusted.

And it was all because of a slight change in name. You will never do it consciously, you brain will do it on its own.

--- End quote ---

haha.. yes, very well-spoken. Although .. I'm not saying that I don't stereotype people. It's a 99.999% given that everyone will stereotype in some way. It's a pretty profound effect that society has on an individual.

But usually people don't stereotype due to a name but the appearance of someone.

Sure your story with Troy may be evidence for this name stereotyping phenomenon but women could like your friend because of his personality. Maybe they liked that he approached them and used his secret pick up line.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version