Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction & Writing

The Legend Of Miltank

<< < (2/3) > >>

Miss Wednesday:
Yeah, that was rude, what if her native language isn't English? Mean! >:U

GrizzlyEatsKids:
Yeah, I'm not fussing at you or anything like that, because while it may have been hard for you to read due to a lack of proper grammar, you could have addressed it a bit more politely. Just please be a bit more careful on how you talk to others, and always check over what you wrote before you post to ensure that your tone isn't insulting or aggressive.

Miss Wednesday:

--- Quote from: foodonfloor on April 01, 2014, 04:37:16 PM ---Yeah, I'm not fussing at you or anything like that, because while it may have been hard for you to read due to a lack of proper grammar, you could have addressed it a bit more politely. Just please be a bit more careful on how you talk to others, and always check over what you wrote before you post to ensure that your tone isn't insulting or aggressive.

--- End quote ---
This. ^

Tickles:
Short and cute. Grammar aside, I happen to like it. Just keep practicing, and I want to see more elaborate stories  later on.

TrainerX:
I honestly don't see how I was being rude :|

Okay, maybe the kindergarten thing was unnecessary, but I didn't mean it as an insult. That was just a comment about the length, it didn't really have much to do with what I thought of the quality of the story. That's why I gave my opinions and criticisms below that.

It may seem like my post has a negative tone, but that's not how I intended it. When I give criticism, I get straight to the point. Sugar-coating my opinions is a waste of my time, and a waste of the other person's time.

The tone is what you interpret it as, unless the poster let's you know what they intended it to be. As a general rule, if I see a post that seems like it's meant to have a negative tone, I read over it a few more times to make sure I'm interpreting it correctly. It's important to do this on the internet, since there's no body language or tone of voice to go off of. If I'm still not sure, I simply take a neutral approach. By neutral, I mean that I disregard the "tone" entirely. So if I'm being criticized on something, I just look at the criticism on a basic level and move on. For example, if somebody says that I have to work on my spelling, but they say it in a way that seems like they may be trying to be insulting, I just forget about anything other than "You should work on your spelling."

I probably did too much explaining there, but I want to make sure this doesn't turn into one of those threads that goes on for three pages where everyone is trying to explain exactly what they meant.

--- Quote ---Just please be a bit more careful on how you talk to others, and always check over what you wrote before you post to ensure that your tone isn't insulting or aggressive.
--- End quote ---
But how do you ensure that? A comment can be interpreted in too many different ways. For example, I could interpret the comment as an honest request, or I could interpret it as a comment intended to offend me. The latter interpretation is extreme, but I have met people that I could actually see interpreting it that way.

Cincy can choose to listen to my criticism or ignore it if she feels that I'm wrong, or if she feels like she's being insulted. This shouldn't be a big deal. I offered my opinion, but I'm just some random guy on the internet that can easily be ignored.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version