Pokémon Universe > Jobs

Mapper job request.

(1/3) > >>

stephenkill2:
I believe I sent an email at one point to which I never received a response. Right, Essentially I believe I have what it takes to be a mapper for PU , I am dedicated, on here almost 24/7 , active in the IRC chat, and also I am not bad at making maps. I am 19 and located in the United States.
I am assuming that my email was never responded to mostly because I did not submit a sample of work, hence I shall do that here.

Swampy deal

Tropical pass

Summer Mansion

Overgrown Route (Sorry, there isn't much for bridges in this tileset.)

Mining area

So, Yeah, I would love to give it a shot  ;D

Also, I can submit more samples upon request, and I have been practicing my pixel art in tutorials to try and get a tad better so I can do some tile work myself.

Thanks for reading,

Stephenkill2

Level5Pidgey:
A slight flaw to me is the little areas of grass and wildlife around the town that haven't been paved - such as between the town and the bridge.
You need a more natural transition from the field to the town.

Similarly, I don't really like the look of the field areas - while it does not seem man made (there is randomness, which is good), the entire thing does not look good (which symmetry affords), and thus, doesn't really look natural either (remember, even natural dispersion is based on a mathematical pattern).
Read up on how to make natural-looking maps, there needs to be a balance between randomness and non-randomness, symmetry, and non-symmetry, etc. that makes the map look natural and good, but not manmade.

Anyway, good work - I'm picking you apart cause I know you will improve. :)

stephenkill2:

--- Quote from: Level5Pidgey on March 14, 2010, 12:37:43 PM ---A slight flaw to me is the little areas of grass and wildlife around the town that haven't been paved - such as between the town and the bridge.
You need a more natural transition from the field to the town.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I was thinking that too, but I didn't like the options the tile set had to offer, therefore I tried to make it more natural due to the fact that this is an adventure MMO and just paved things everywhere really offsets the feeling I was trying to go for, but I completely understand what you mean.I do agree the transition needs improvement.

--- Quote from: Level5Pidgey on March 14, 2010, 12:37:43 PM ---
Similarly, I don't really like the look of the field areas - while it does not seem man made (there is randomness, which is good), the entire thing does not look good (which symmetry affords), and thus, doesn't really look natural either (remember, even natural dispersion is based on a mathematical pattern).
Read up on how to make natural-looking maps, there needs to be a balance between randomness and non-randomness, symmetry, and non-symmetry, etc. that makes the map look natural and good, but not manmade.

--- End quote ---

I shall look into it and try to improve my balance thanks   ;D

--- Quote from: Level5Pidgey on March 14, 2010, 12:37:43 PM ---
Anyway, good work - I'm picking you apart cause I know you will improve. :)

--- End quote ---

Thanks Pidgey , I really appreciate the tips you've provided, and thus I will try to improve based upon them in the next one  ;)

Jerry:
While I'm not experienced at all in mapping, I find the two or three storey building in the first one a little strange. Does it have 2 doors?

stephenkill2:

--- Quote from: Jerry on March 14, 2010, 02:24:36 PM ---While I'm not experienced at all in mapping, I find the two or three storey building in the first one a little strange. Does it have 2 doors?

--- End quote ---

It has one. The building looks fine when actually close to it, this map is so big I actually had to zoom out to 1/2 size to fit it all in a full screen shot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version