* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: trainer card swapping  (Read 5252 times)

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
trainer card swapping
« on: June 24, 2010, 06:33:58 PM »
Yes, mi proposal involves swapping those lame useless trainer cards, in-game. Instead of only being able to view (and admire) one's own trainer card, i figured that sharing your team, stats, and name with the world of PU wouldnt be too hard to implement. But mi idea goes a little deeper than that.

The player would begin with 5 trainer cards of him/herself and swap with any other player in the world of PU; then that player swaps with another player and that player swaps with another.. etc. (similar to trading cards.. these cards would not have any monetary value tho) All trainers would have the option of disabling (and enabling) and updating their team, badges, on their cards at any time.

But wait, there's more..

I've been logging on to the pre-beta on and off lately, wondering about what to do when none of your friends are online.
How will you get that extra "training" in you werent able to get because of a friend's 7 o'clock bed-time? ???

Just as most racing and fighting games gives one the option to participate in fights/races against ghosts (A CPU that utilizes same/similar stats, tendencies, and abilities of a real life player against real life players).

I figure that something similar can be used in PU.

Im proposing that a machine (or magical evil alien wizard), of some sorts, can be used in which the player inserts a trainer card and it emanates a ghost of the corresponding player and his/her team that's featured on the card.

meaning, you'd be able to battle the ghost of the player and his/her team, by collecting his/her trainer card and going to the designated area to battle.

Of course there would have to be limits on the number of battles and number of trainer cards a player can hold at once.. and of course.. restrictions on amount of EXP gained during ghost battles but this is something that would definitely separate PU from any "run in the mill" Pokemon RPG.

Now that I have this all typed out, i've started thinking.. and is pretty sure this wont be implemented. If it were, this would be a good alternative to training and could just be something to do when there is nothing to do.

Just throwing is out there. Im sure it's bound to get shot down.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:38:34 PM by ghostman50 »
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
Re: trainer card swapping
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 07:53:05 PM »
Not really shot down, as it's a feature I hope to see later in the game. It's just something I doubt will be implemented early on in the Open-Beta. Honestly, mixing records was one of my favorite things to do with my friends. It added extra depth to the game.

As to the "ghost" suggestion, I'm all for it. I actually remember back when Megaman Battle Network 4 first came out. It had a feature where you could acquire a ghost of your friend. This ghost had the same battle characteristics as them. Their movement, speed, chip selection, etc. You could then start a tournament with multiple friend ghosts. (My friends could never beat me, lol.) But yes, it was great fun and all of us enjoyed it. So, I hope it's something everyone can see later on in PU.
Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Daily awesomesauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4uonU_uj0
I have a proud tradition of failure to uphold.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:53:45 PM »
Now, that's an idea.

Provided that NPCs can be battled only once in the game (except if they are meant to appear multiple times in the game for rebattles), this would give a boost to training. And having the ghosts will definitely be cool. And you already tried to see the possible consequences, that is abuse of this feature, so, you restrict the amount of EXP and the number of battles per day, which is good!

I have to say, great idea! I hope too that this would be implemented in the game. I'll be a little like in Emerald where you can battle a rival in your secret base, except that it can be done anywhere, or do you plan to make it possible only in certain places (pokemon center, or the hologram building like in HGSS)? That too can minimise the abuse.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:11:23 PM »
I would say, to completely abolish abuse, it should award no experience. It could either be done in special rooms in the Pokemon Centers, or some kind of hall at the center of most larger towns. Experience wouldn't be necessary anyway. It would simply be a fun way to test your skills.

EDIT: Well, I thought of a few issues. Space and data would be one thing. Trying to do a ghost for each player would no doubt be impossible. So, instead, we could do a little "Hall of Fame" type deal. Tournament winners, people who have caught the attention of a mod or GM, or players that have excelled in a certain aspect. We could make ghosts of their teams at level 100 (or their respective bracket) and have other trainers test their mettle against them.

Quite a bit different from the original suggestion, but a lot easier to implement, imo.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 09:17:35 PM by Raikt »
Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline neokills

• Normal Trainer
  • "I'd rather die on the feet than live on my knee's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:23:21 PM »
i like this idea and maybe even the trainer could get a card everytime he beats a gym leader or wins a tourney. it would be the trainer card and then the 6 pokemon use in the particular fight. and you can choose which one you want to use as your "title" when people look at ur stats. just another idea, i thought it would be cool.
***Thanx to lucariox for this great signature***

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 09:26:38 PM »
I would say, to completely abolish abuse, it should award no experience. It could either be done in special rooms in the Pokemon Centers, or some kind of hall at the center of most larger towns. Experience wouldn't be necessary anyway. It would simply be a fun way to test your skills.

EDIT: Well, I thought of a few issues. Space and data would be one thing. Trying to do a ghost for each player would no doubt be impossible. So, instead, we could do a little "Hall of Fame" type deal. Tournament winners, people who have caught the attention of a mod or GM, or players that have excelled in a certain aspect. We could make ghosts of their teams at level 100 (or their respective bracket) and have other trainers test their mettle against them.

Quite a bit different from the original suggestion, but a lot easier to implement, imo.

Yes.. you're right. I overlooked this part. Maybe we could have a selection of ghost trainers every week/month so that we have a range of level of trainers in the 'Hall of Fame' which would then be accessible to a lot more players.

But then, that is sort of off the main idea of ghostman50 :( the swapping of cards...
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 09:31:37 PM »
I'm  for swapping trainer cards and it would be relatively easy to implement.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 03:45:05 AM »
*cough cough*

Hope this isn't Necroing.

Yea, you're right. Hadnt thought of the server space involved in doing the ghost idea and impossible would be rather generous. But Im all for using select players (with high PU rep and an extreme team)  as a ghost instead. This way, players arnt beating up on weaker teams for easy exp... and the idea of not issuing any Exp is a good idea too. But no one's gonna ghost battle without any kind of perk. Making the ghosts unlockable through quests and having a monthly reward or somthing like that could be something the pu team could look into.

Making this a periodical event, as Jerry suggested, isnt a bad idea either.  It would be that unique "time of the month" we would all look forward to.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:49:29 AM by ghostman50 »
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 07:33:22 AM »
So long it's still in the subject, I think it's okay :)

I think I'll add something else too, following my idea of making the ghosts available to a range of trainers instead of only the 'high ups'. What about... Making a team for each trainer level. And then, put restrictions.

Eg.
If you have trainer level 'X', then, you can only battle the ghost level 'X', no more, no less.

Of course, now, the level 'X' ghosts should be slightly better than the level 'X' trainer if EXP is involved so that abusing of the system is reduced.

Offline Sora

• Normal Trainer
  • Nothing is as dear and precious as time~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 06:02:38 PM »
About the cards.
5 (or more maybe) would be restricted number of cards you could have of totall strangers, wich you can give on.
But cards of your friends/buddies could be visable to you all the time, you wouldn't be able to trade them, just check out.
The cards should be sorted in categories like;
-Trainer cards (cards of fellow players, possible for trade)
-Friend cards (cards of those on your buddy list, not possible for trade)
-Leader cards (cards of gym leaders you have beaten, showing pokemon each of you have used, not up for trade)
-Elite cards (like cards of gym leaders, just that these would be from elite 4 and the champion)
-Brutal Cards (Cards of the brutal 5, extremely reare, same info as the leader and elite cards)
*When you would fight all of brutal 5, there would be like special qests avalible for you.

There should allso be ab option to lock your trainer cards for some people.

Example (made-up people):
PersonA is my hated rival. PersonB who is PersonA's friend has my card. PersonA will probably ask B for it, so he'll come up with tactics and a team, that could totally beat me. But I don't want it, so I lock my card from PersonA.

Still, there would be a problem, because PersonB could tell PersonA about my info.
I think info given on trainer cards should restricted.
My siggy just got attacked by zubat.

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 05:49:50 PM »
So long it's still in the subject, I think it's okay :)

I think I'll add something else too, following my idea of making the ghosts available to a range of trainers instead of only the 'high ups'. What about... Making a team for each trainer level. And then, put restrictions.

Eg.
If you have trainer level 'X', then, you can only battle the ghost level 'X', no more, no less.

Of course, now, the level 'X' ghosts should be slightly better than the level 'X' trainer if EXP is involved so that abusing of the system is reduced.

Once an actual scale/formula has been made with player leveling, that sounds like a good idea, but it owuld be interesting to see who/what exactly the ghosts would be modeled after. Especially since it would be nearly impossible to ghost every player in PU.

Because it's only training, and not training with an actual NPC or player, would it be weird to suggest that ghosts give a fraction of experience? That way, abuse would be almost entirely out of the question.

About the cards.
5 (or more maybe) would be restricted number of cards you could have of totall strangers, wich you can give on.
But cards of your friends/buddies could be visable to you all the time, you wouldn't be able to trade them, just check out.
The cards should be sorted in categories like;
-Trainer cards (cards of fellow players, possible for trade)
-Friend cards (cards of those on your buddy list, not possible for trade)
-Leader cards (cards of gym leaders you have beaten, showing pokemon each of you have used, not up for trade)
-Elite cards (like cards of gym leaders, just that these would be from elite 4 and the champion)
-Brutal Cards (Cards of the brutal 5, extremely reare, same info as the leader and elite cards)
*When you would fight all of brutal 5, there would be like special qests avalible for you.

There should allso be ab option to lock your trainer cards for some people.

Example (made-up people):
PersonA is my hated rival. PersonB who is PersonA's friend has my card. PersonA will probably ask B for it, so he'll come up with tactics and a team, that could totally beat me. But I don't want it, so I lock my card from PersonA.

Still, there would be a problem, because PersonB could tell PersonA about my info.
I think info given on trainer cards should restricted.

There should be an option to update one's trainer card. And if that option is available, I dont see many people hiding too much information. Because if someone were to really have a hated (or friendly) rival, it would be tons more beneficial to interchange one's strongest poke's or real team with "dummy" poke's so a player wont be able to scalp or scout one's team during a tournament or friendly get together.