* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Quest: Identify this Pokemon.  (Read 7556 times)

Offline Hakurin

• Beginning Trainer
  • Blue over Green? Never!!
    • View Profile
Quest: Identify this Pokemon.
« on: June 30, 2010, 09:48:01 AM »
For new starters:
After acquiring the Pokedex, Professor (Oak, or whoever it is for PU) asks the  trainer to identify a certain Pokemon that he has a picture for, but no name on it. Or perhaps have the trainer identify a few (around 5-10[does not have to catch all of them]) Pokemon in a certain area.
Pika~sneeze!!!

Offline TrainerReacts

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: Identify this Pokemon.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 06:03:30 PM »
Not bad. Simple and fun. Makes good use of the pokedex.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 06:29:32 PM »
But would it be called a 'quest' so to say? I feel it's more like a 'quiz' ::)
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 02:41:21 AM »

Since you use the Pokedex to answer him, its more like a Mini-quest
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline Monzta

• CharlesedickNB
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Effectively.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 09:16:39 AM »
Is it like the footprint matching in Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness that you're talking about, but it's Pokemon matching? or am I just lost?

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 11:41:17 AM »

Lol, it's even less than a quest if you are allowed to use the pokedex (note that the OP didn't mention the use of pokedex). But tell me, people are being able to identify the shadow and footprints of pokemon... this one will be easier still!

And, there wasn't a mention of the aim of the quest... why would someone feel compelled to do it?
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »

Lol, it's even less than a quest if you are allowed to use the pokedex (note that the OP didn't mention the use of pokedex). But tell me, people are being able to identify the shadow and footprints of pokemon... this one will be easier still!

And, there wasn't a mention of the aim of the quest... why would someone feel compelled to do it?
If it was required, that would be great, I am a Trainer that doesnt usually catch many Pokemon until later in the game. This exercise encourages Catching Pokemon.

Beside the fact you might have to do it, ie. its Required, Not much. Although, if you want to progress through the game, that would be the perfect reason to do it.
Assuming Its required.

Im sure there are plenty of people that would like doing this quest, me being one. A lot of people probably wouldn't need the PokeDex to solve the puzzle, but you are looking for them in the wild, its Harder, because you arent guessing, you are looking for the Pokemon
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline Hakurin

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 03:47:25 AM »
It's funny you would ask: "why would someone feel compelled to do it?"
Jerry, usually when I post idea's, I leave the "reason" or quest "rewards" to the higher ups. Why? Well, first off, I have no idea how they plan to work out the game. Nor do I understand what they plan. Hence, why I leave that in the open.

Also, Monzta.
I would say that it's close to the "Explorers of Darkness" except that its being done outside a dungeon. Aside from that, this quest utilizes use of items, and hopefully all would feel compelled to do such a quest (even if not required) as Unbreakable seems to be. xD

And thanks for the addition there Unbreakable. I too, would feel that way. (:
Pika~sneeze!!!

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
  • I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »
...usually when I post idea's, I leave the "reason" or quest "rewards" to the higher ups.
But... how could you leave out the reason? The reason the trainer feels compelled to do something is essentially the backstory of the quest, which, as explained in the 'how to write a quest' thread, is deliciously important. Without explaining why your trainer wants to do something, you might as well strip any quest idea input down to "You walk in a forest and fight some pokemon", or, "You walk in a canyon and fight some pokemon," or... you get the idea. Reason and backstory are things that you need to have prepared before you give a quest idea. So... why does your trainer decide that he should do this little quiz? Maybe you get a plush doll of that pokemon that you can put in your apartment, if you decide to buy one?

Offline Hakurin

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 10:56:05 PM »
If it makes you feel better... I can do reward idea's. As for a back-story... No thanks, I really don't enjoy reading lengthy paragraphs that end up being really pointless, so I won't write them either. I mean, people usually scroll through if the quest giver (the Professor) goes on forever...
Anywho, here you go:

Recommended Level: Any
Reward: Plush Toy (for display in your in-game home), Pokeball, 100poke (if that's the currency in PU)
NPC: Professor (First one you meet in the beginning of game, kind of like the one in Pallet town [Pokemon Red/Blue/Green])

~.~
Pika~sneeze!!!

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
  • I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 02:31:46 AM »
I mean, people usually scroll through if the quest giver (the Professor) goes on forever...
If by 'people', you mean all the kids who don't care about plot and story. And no length of storyline pokemon can dish out would be able to hold a candle to the hours of cutscene in Metal Gear, which I believe most of the players watch.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 09:05:24 PM »
Quote from: Unbreakable
If it was required, that would be great, I am a Trainer that doesnt usually catch many Pokemon until later in the game. This exercise encourages Catching Pokemon.

Beside the fact you might have to do it, ie. its Required, Not much. Although, if you want to progress through the game, that would be the perfect reason to do it.
Assuming Its required.

Im sure there are plenty of people that would like doing this quest, me being one. A lot of people probably wouldn't need the PokeDex to solve the puzzle, but you are looking for them in the wild, its Harder, because you arent guessing, you are looking for the Pokemon

Well, the thing is... PU will be designed to contain many quests, but none of them will be 'required'. I mean, you can by-pass any quest if you want. This was done because the team didn't like the fact that the games were linear. There were too much 'do that before you can continue' in the hand held games.

Jerry, usually when I post idea's, I leave the "reason" or quest "rewards" to the higher ups. Why? Well, first off, I have no idea how they plan to work out the game. Nor do I understand what they plan. Hence, why I leave that in the open.

This is why the Quest & Plots is put as a sub forum of Ideas and Suggestions. You can suggest the reason/rewards and the PU Team will try to see into them. If it can be implemented then it's good, if not, the Team will make the necessary modifications to suit the game. Of course, all these happen after having deciding whether the Quest in question will be implemented or not.

And to add to Frenchfry's comment, I can safely say that half players read the entire thing, and half don't pay the slightest attention to it. This is why in PU they decided that you can skip the 'lengthy story' if you like, so that those who are interested in the story can read them, and those who don't want to read, can skip the 'boring part'.

Offline Hakurin

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 03:59:44 PM »
I see, well thank you Jerry. I'll keep that in mind if I come up with anything else.
Pika~sneeze!!!

Offline Fergal

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 02:36:28 AM »
I think it could work if it's done slightly differently.
In the games you only get the pokedex after you've went on a journey to deliver or retrieve something. so maybe when you get back to the professor's lab he/she could ask you to name or point out pokemon that they've seen around the town. The pokemon they describe would be one that you fought on the way. The professor might say something then like:
"You seem to have a good eye for pokemon and your starting pokemon likes you a lot. Maybe I should give you a pokedex."

Offline TrainerX

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 12:59:43 PM »
Well, the thing is... PU will be designed to contain many quests, but none of them will be 'required'. I mean, you can by-pass any quest if you want. This was done because the team didn't like the fact that the games were linear. There were too much 'do that before you can continue' in the hand held games.
This kind of reminds me of The Elder Scrolls.