* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Author Topic: Weekly development updates  (Read 35829 times)

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
Weekly development updates
« on: November 29, 2009, 03:23:06 pm »
As some of you might have noticed: We've got a new layout for Pokemon-universe.com. In fact this is not just a new layout. It is a fresh board start.

And as promised at the previous website, we will be keeping a weekly update for you guys at every monday to sum up the last week's updates, so you guys can keep track of the progress.

If you have got any questions regarding the updates, feel free to join us at the chat and discuss the subject of interest. However, the old rules still applies: No asking for release date since we do not have any.

Enjoy.

Note that all development update topics will be locked, so it will not be possible for guys (and girls) to comment on it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:14:55 am by Kamaran »
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly development updates
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 12:21:01 am »
Well... It is time for the first development update and there is not much to say.

It has been a rough week with the new website up and running and such. However we are still progressing in the game development.

Urmel and Mr_Dark have along with Bakagringo spent the last couple of days trying to improve the Pokemon Battles; from coding to interface. Making it nice for you to play while keeping some drama in the battles.

On the mapping side, it is currently on hold due to editor-updates from Wkter's side. It will hopefully help the mappers and the quest/storywriters with their work in the future. Furthermore we are playing with the bytes, so you can have as smooth game play as possible with an average of 60 frames per second ingame.

Shashi, a norwegian guy, joined the team. Not as a developer, but as the community manager. So behave out there or else  :D

Unfortunately, we have had to remove the PokeShout shoutbox on our homepage due to immaturity and abuse. You can still talk to us via IRC (indeed it is much better to contact us there as we are available to talk very often). Webchat IRC or join us directly at #pokemon-universe on irc.rizon.net .

Finally we are going to decide where to put our american server. So if you havn't already voted at the poll I kindly ask you to. You can find the poll HERE.
In addition, we are dicussing/investigating Victory's question (link) about the same matter.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:27:44 am by Kamaran »
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:50:09 am »
One day late. And for that I am sorry.

But we had some things to finish...

The battle user interface is just comming out nicely. A few days ago, each and every team-member were ingame battleing against random pokemons found in the grass.
But there are still many things to add before any releases.

We still need to add the following:
  • Items button
  • Switch Pokemon button
  • Flee button

And of course improve the battle UI a little bit more.
I'll upload a screenshot when the battle concept has been finalized.

The mapping can once again begin.
Wkter and Raiden are however, still working on the editor as we develop the maps and are in need of new features. We are planning to release a "light-version" of the editor, so all those who have a little mapper in their stomach got some free tools.

A final little surprise. Some time ago we made a wikia. Well... started it. But we felt that something was wrong since a wikia is normally made by the fans.
We are hereby giving you the chance to develop the pokemon-universe wikia at wikia.com

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 04:08:03 pm »
week 3 and we have some exciting new updates for you.

First of all, CounterBug joined as mapper on trial. We will see how he will do under the PU command.

The PokÉditor 3.0 is of course still in progress and we will make it public as soon as possible. Meaning that everyone who have a slight interrest in mapping can now try it out - for free. The public editor will not contain as many features as the one the PU-team members will use.

Please remember that the editor is still in development.

The BattleUI is comming out nicely. We have got ourself some floating text now and Mr_Dark is currently checking all (467) attacks for special stuff like multiple hits and so on. (list).
Please notice that the move Fling will not appear in the beta due to major work.

Urmel have changed the convo system to the one Bakagringo designed months ago and NPCs now have more functionalities like; give/take money and quest suppert has been added.

As some of you might have noticed, the karma has changed. You can read the thread about "why" here.

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:31:55 pm »
One more week has passed and once again the karma system was a major subject.
We chose to entirely erase the function. It has been too much trouble and it took a lot of our time. Time that we could have used on the game itself.

Spirit, who joined on trial as quest/storywriter some days ago, is making a lot of quests for your entertainment. It is a harsh and long process since we don't have a fully functionally questsystem yet.

Furthermore Sakaa a vector artist joined on trial - today actually. 5 minutes ago.

CounterBug is still on his trial.

The mapping is as always, progressing slowly. I am adding new questhubs for Spirit and altering some terrain. I am also waiting for Sakaa to finish some updated mountain tiles and we'll have nice mountains that fits with everything else.

Since this has been a "sleepy" week for most of the team members due to real life stuff there is only one more thing to say: Join us at the chat

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 05:43:21 pm »
Private Pre-Beta 2.0 announced last tuesday.
We have invited active chat and forum members to join us at testing and so on.
You can find the list of who we have decided to bring along HERE.

Due to the same thread we have been experiencing lots of unneeded and unfinished posts from several players. Please, if you have a question, read the [FAQ] TAUT and then use search application.

We also kicked CounterBug off the team of his immatureness and rudeness on the forum.

Hiteryan was so kind to provide me with some music updates. But we felt that it needed a topic of its own. (link)

Finally we have been lurking around and have come up with some information: As many of you know, a generation 5 is on the way and the first pokemon from it should star at the latest movie. Word goes that it should be an electric type. (maybe even electric/ground). We, the PU-team, thinks that the japanese name of this new pokemon is: Mojanpo.
We'll be glad if anyone can confirm this.

And I almost forgot; Pokemon-universe now supports LINUX!

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 07:17:59 pm »
First of all sorry for the late post. Atm. Kamaran is on vacation in Sweden so someone else has to make this post :D I'm not really good with long story's so I'll keep it short ;)

PokÉditor 3.0
Raiden spent the last weekend fixing our new map editor, it should be ready for public release within a month or so.

PU Client
Urmel made a start with the item UI and he fixed some weird bug which caused the client to crash on start-up.

PU Server
Mr_Dark (me) added more attacks to the battle code. I have checked around 50% of the attacks now.

Donations
Last month we've received a lot of donations from certain people and we would like to thank them again very much! We really appreciate it.

Again.. I'd want to say that it's not mandatory to donate, Pokemon Universe will be 100% free to play and we will NEVER ask you for money. If you like to support us and you're still wondering what we're doing with the donated money; we use it to pay the server hosting bills.

We've created a separated topic where we keep a list of people who ever donated.

Chat/IRC
There are more and more people joining our IRC channel, most of the time there's always someone to talk with (PU or non-PU team).

It's too bad not many people join our chatbox. Almost all the PU Team members are in there most of the time. We talk about what we're currently doing/making, discuss things about the game etc. Now and then we even post screenshots that never make it to the site. I think the people in the chat are much more up-to-date regarding the development.
I think it's because most people see the chat as the place where you should only come when you want to chat. However, it's perfectly fine to just hang in there and lurk.

tl;dr:
1. download and install mIRC
2. type /server irc.rizon.net
3. type /join #pokemon-universe
4. ? ? ? ?
5. profit!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:21:45 pm by Mr_Dark »
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 10:53:41 pm »
I'm back! Missed me? :D

Let's start out with some official news;
First generation 5 pokemon revealed. Read the topic HERE.

And at Pokemon-Universe we're having quite some progress at the following areas:
  • Moves and abilities
  • Client and server-wise
  • Maps with improved makeovers
  • Generel User interface (e.g. bagpack)

However, regarding the mapping and with a pixelartist aspect attached, we are struggling to make the "encountergrass" work. It is a rather small issue, and I can not promise that this will work in the beta. (proper grass that is - you will be able to encounter)

Furthermore we have started a new game. It is called; "Guess the type". (link currently deleted)
Please note that the icons are not final.

Small addition; We've got 2000 members :D

Member #2000:
Username: Ilyusha

And there was THIS <-- CLICK!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 08:07:39 am by Kamaran »

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 10:35:23 pm »
We have two major subjects this week.
One being the Balancing project and the other the EV replacement system.

Balancing Project:
This is a project not by PU but by Gammal and Level5Pidgey.
It has nothing to do with PU, what so ever, at this stage.
However, since they talked highly of their course we gave them unlimited time to improve balance in pokemon battling. If, and only if, it turns out to work we will take a look at it and deside then.
As for now, it will stay "unbalanced".

EV replacement system:
We are currently talking a replacement system for the EV system, which in our eyes have been a boring, but important part of the latest games. We think that it can be replaced with a less boring system that is just as effective and we are thus currently discussing our options.
More on this later when a conclusion have been made.

In other news:
Phosphorous managed to get himself banned at our chat. Let us all give an applause.

And Mr_Dark has found the ultimate girlfriend but she lives in Texas (Dark Edit: Tymid <3)

-------
Thank you for 1000 views ^^

In honor of Victory (who had the exact 1000 view.)

--
Oh and Bakagringo is in love with a very complicated gurl

AND you forgot that I worked on the Pokemon switch UI concept yesterday. (Baka) D:
BUT you didn't finish it damnit! (Urmel) :<
lol im just typing stuff (Hiteryan) :3
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:50:08 pm by Hiteryan »

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 08:01:02 am »
The Balancing Project and the EV replacement system has been merged.
Thus the Balancing Project is also an official part of PU as of now.
Instead of the current EV system we thought of something similar and yet totally different.
As for Pokemons they will get a unique ability tree within their own evolution-lines. (one common during pre-beta and beta). This way Gammel and Level5Pidgey have the opportunity to revamp pokes as they feel like it and they will have more tools to balance them.
It will be point-wise "merged" with a stat-buffer.

I can, for a longer period of time, not work on PU due to college/uni and preps to the same. However I will stick around for the "just incase scenario" and for social reasons on the chat. I will also keep making the development updates since the other team members have other things to take care of. Now also including mapping, which I have heard that Urmel and Alais will do when they have time. (Alias has a lot)

Furthermore:
AND you forgot that I worked on the Pokemon switch UI concept yesterday. (Baka) D:
BUT you didn't finish it damnit! (Urmel) :<
lol im just typing stuff (Hiteryan) :3
"Chansey" stop putting comments in the thread! please.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:51:54 pm by Hiteryan »

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 08:29:28 pm »
With the pre-beta testing date comming up soon the team is more busy than ever.
However it is manageable - even with my "break", as some of them call it.

Spirit took innitiative. ME LIEK.
He started the "Write a Quest Contest", as the final 3 open pre-beta spots will be chosen from there.
We still encourage already pre-beta signed members to participate, but if they win Spirit will have to change the reward.

The rewards is as following:

1st place:
  • get your quest in the game
  • get on pre-beta (if you're not already)
  • surprise (I will reveal this one at a later date, but I think you will like it)

2nd place:
  • get on pre-beta (if you're not already)

3rd place:

If you would like information on how to write a quest. please click HERE

In other news. Mr_Dark & Urmel are still working hard to finish the server and client. Almost all attacks are implemented (finally :'() in the server.

Everywhere else, everything is going as planned.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:42:59 pm by Kamaran »

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 08:02:27 am »
A series of major events happend this week. There were the Oscars and even bigger; My 20th birthday. I would like to thank everyone, once again, for the nice replies. (especially Spirit and Alice) ^^

The new movie trailer was also released from Nintendo's side. (link)
Our beloved, and Spirit's next first GF, Kuhns joined the team as a pixel artist
You can see the whole team HERE.

In more serious news;
the search function is currently broken. Meaning that if Google Search will be the search function until it is fixed.

As always we encourage members to come join us at the chat, as more information pass through there than I update here. You can also play the PKMN-trivia with other members.

HEY! You forgot that I finished the Pokemon Switching GUI. :p
There...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:25:51 am by Mr_Dark »

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 08:39:07 pm »
The first of April is comming! IT IS COMMING!

... and we have had some additions to the team this weak.
I am proud to present the following;

• DeCeaseD - Pixel artist (Alais' slave)
  • Stephenkill2 - Mapper (My slave)

Stephenkill2 might also help the balancing team out if needed later on, as most team members (non-leaders) have multiple functions within the team.

In other news of awesomeness, we have established a server location in the United States of America, Kansas City. (link)
As stated in the thread, this is entirely thanks to the donations we have received over time.

Further more, the search function is now working again and Mr_Dark and Urmel are still very busy implementing items for the pre-beta.
As for now, the pre-beta will still be avaible, on the 1st of April, for those who are invited.

On a side note: we have more than 3400 members as this point. (that is an increase of ~500 members on a week)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:11:09 pm by Kamaran »

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 07:45:17 pm »
Many of you should have realized the PU-team was interviewed by
Scorephoiria. If you havn't then you can read the interview HERE.

As the mapping is progressing so is the quests.
Spirit have finally chosen the three winners;

3rd: ChaoticXSinZ
2nd: Declan_23
1st: Jerry

Congratulations.

As far as I know the prizes has been changed due to the fact that the winners already were signed for the private pre-beta.
You can read the entire topic HERE.

For the implementing of items, Mr_Dark is ~98% finished and the Pokemon catching features is almost working too.

Next week will consist of a weekly in two part. The first part will be updated monday as usual and the 2nd on thursday (1st of April) due to Private Pre-Beta release.

- We hope to see those who are invited, ingame!

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 05:14:46 pm »
Considering the private pre-beta I have sliced this weeks weekly in two. The second will be on the 1st of April as I also stated last time.

Pokemon-universe have a lot of unpayed job positions open.

As always there are some requirements. Read more at the job describtions.

Regarding the game, Urmel and Dark have finilized some features and testers will now be able to:
  • Send private messages to each other
  • Battle other players
  • Look up information about their Pokemon
  • Open and close their backpack
  • Keep an eye on their Pokemons status
  • Listen to awesome music while exploring
  • Get their Pokemons healed by our Male Nurse Joys
  • Catch and train Pokemons
However, do not expect indoor maps to be finished for Private Pre-beta.

Simple quests are being finilized by Spirit and hopefully they will work too.

If all goes right (no problems from now on), we might be able to release the private beta on wednesday.

And by the way:
Over 4000 members and 9000 posts!

Part 2

We made it! The private pre-beta was released in the last hour of the last timezone. Which means 2nd of April for some of you. Mr_Dark & Urmel went to bed around 6AM (+1GMT) -_-'

Some of the pre-beta testers started to think that it was an April fools joke. They were wrong and the team members are dead-tired from yesterday. We will, while testers are able to test, update regularly.

This has been, or are going to be, added:
  • Female Nurse Joys (instead of males)
  • Choose starter
  • Paperdoll system

As for April fools jokes. Yes we had one.
The: "[Official news] Gen5 starter-silhouettes revealed" was fake :)
We had a good laught at you guys who believed it ^^

Futhermore in the same section I had planned one more. I don't think you shouldn't be allowed to see it, even though April the 1st is over.

Public pre-beta

As the private pre-beta is running smoothly, we, the PU-team, have opened for Public pre-beta testning.
However, there will be some features you will not have as the private testers does.
  • Can't catch pokemons
  • Can't make your own character
  • Can't choose your own starter
  • Can't explore beyond the first area
DOWNLOAD HERE

In other news:
Spirit and Kuhns have announced their PU-comic. I think you should take a look here.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:31:32 pm by Kamaran »