* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Playing styles over the years...  (Read 7992 times)

Offline Roko

• Normal Trainer
  • Enjoy the little things.
    • View Profile
Re: Playing styles over the years...
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 05:51:58 PM »
I tended to catch Pokémon I liked, then carry on with them.
I believe my FireRed team was:

Blastoise
Pidgeot
Dugtrio
Mr Mime
Arcanine
Electabuzz

But since then I've learned why stats and moves are important, and thus have started thinking strategically. The team in my signature is the PVP team I plan on using in PU, and I have a moveset thought out already for each of them. However, for the gym leaders, I will just use starters and Pokémon I catch early in the game.

zylonnick

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »
I tended to catch Pokémon I liked, then carry on with them.
But since then I've learned why stats and moves are important, and thus have started thinking strategically. The team in my signature is the PVP team I plan on using in PU, and I have a moveset thought out already for each of them.

You can still use your favourites if you plan a good moveset and strategy. I've remade my dream team's moveset because of that. So I might be able to use them in battle.

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
  • The name's Fox, Mr. Fox
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 10:35:42 AM »
my fav pokes are too "weak" to make a team out of... they share too many double weakness, i like the team in my sig... works very well...

Offline Roko

• Normal Trainer
  • Enjoy the little things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 02:15:17 PM »
Agreed with Darkness. My favourite Pokémon just aren't the best for competetive gaming.
My ideal team of favourite Pokémon would probably be:

Raichu
Pidgeot
Typhlosion
Steelix
Dragonite

Dragonite's in my team, obviously... but the rest just aren't good enough for competative battling.
I suppose I could breed the perfect Def. Wall Steelix... but I'm lazy, and Skarmory will serve just as well, if not better.

zylonnick

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 07:55:58 PM »
My favourites:
Lucario
Arcanine
Dragonite
Gengar
Metagross
staraptor
blastoise
charizard

the team I made out of it (with a kingdra, for making it more competitive):
Lucario
Arcanine
Dragonite
Gengar
Metagross
kingdra

I just like these pokémon alot!!! With the right moveset, they can work.
I agree that some of your favourites are jest not good enough, but I try to use them as much as possible, with the right pokémon to support them.
an example: you can give steelix this set (when your team has a trick room user) earthquake, curse, gyro bal, explosion. This is great late-game!!!

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 12:10:06 AM »
when i look at your team i only see that you have 3 pokemon weak to ground... that is how i think. I don't like having too many pokes that share a weakness, to easy to lose to some one who is pakning that type... that is how i see it. i use pokemon who work well together, like a hippowdon and the new mole pokemon...

zylonnick

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 06:58:16 PM »
but when I switch metagross for togekiss (I like him, but he isn't in my top 10), I have only a 2 time weakness. Then I still got 4 favourites in my team.

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 10:00:11 PM »
true, but then you give me a reason to add a pokemon with either ice punch or ice shard...

zylonnick

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 07:01:37 PM »
but I'm not the only one with that weakness. Your pokémon white team has that weakness too.

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 10:52:31 PM »
yes i know, but like you said with the right move set you can counter your weakness, the faster half of my team has moves that ko ice types, the other half can 2hko them with their bulk. my mole is the fastest pokemon i have at over 500 speed, he WILL hit first and he usually kills... but i get your point, my other team has a few overlapping weakness, but not as severe as this one...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:54:22 PM by Mr._Rex »

Offline Juno

• Beginning Trainer
  • Black FC: 2580 2446 7184 Message me for a battle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 01:54:15 AM »
New here... Moving on What I like to do is just make sure that I have to counter that specific Poke's weakness/s' so that way it is a bit less worrisome.
Some wisdom that I have stumbled across or figured out would go great here... Too bad I just live life to have fun with friends and family. I don't worry about fights or money, I just live. No wisdom there just a way to get by.

Offline Gigalith

• Beginning Trainer
  • Boo, Gigalith is coming for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »
Hello,

i started playing pokemon at pokemon yellow and even got poke mon green red blue silver gold ruby sapphire and some illegal pokemon black (bought in turkey).
at first i didnt understand a thing and started to make tactics with friends, that i went to giovanni then trade all my pokes and the masterball (did that like 100 times), then found out about massingo, i was about 8 then. did the massingo thing for days. raised a ghastly from 12 to 100 without rare candys (became a beast gengar). i played very aggresive never had 1 non combat move because then i would get another pokemon and raise it another way. but nowdays i know that non combat mover can really help u out at some times, i havent found out about EV and IV's till 4 months ago (16 now ). i got pokemon black and those pokemons are frauds lmao U need non combat moves to win. well thats me over the years (Y) pce