* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: First Attempts at Balancing  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Gold

• Beginning Trainer
  • 10 geek points if you know the spell is Ereshkigal
    • View Profile
First Attempts at Balancing
« on: August 17, 2010, 01:11:53 AM »
I was working on some pokemon balancing. Mostly turning OU into UU pokemon.

I think that they are alright but I am unsure. Please be as critical as possible.

Kingdra [/u]

So to change Kingdra from an OU to an UU I just lowered the stats.

New stats:
Hp: 70
Atk:85
Def:90
Sp.Atk:85
Sp. Def: 90
Spd:80

This one pretty basic so I don't think it is amazing.

Next...

Scizor[/u]

For scizor I lowered some stats, raised others and mostly just tried to balance him. New stats are:

Hp: 70
Atk:100
Def:105
Sp.Atk:55
Sp. Def: 65
Spd:75

So, lowered the Attack strength from the over powered 130 to a reasonable 100. Defense is increased to make up for the lowered strength to continue some tanking abilitiy. Sp. Def is lowered to allow some chink in Scizor's armour. Speed increased to be able to beat other tanks to first hit.

Major change is removing bullet punch from Scizor's moveset.

I may do more like this. But first i would like some feedback. There is not point doing more if im doing it wrong.

~A New Life~

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
Re: First Attempts at Balancing
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:55:15 AM »
Let's rock this party.

Firstly, you should give more insight into your changes. "I felt like it" or "I think this would work better" really won't cut it when it breaks down the math behind all our current changes. How will this effect his attack specifically? (In regards to Scizor.) Who won't he be able to OHKO now? What will the improved defense save him from? How will the decreased Sp. Def allow for a 'chink' when rarely anyone hits him on the special side outside of a fire move?

Posting damage calculations from a damange calculator would really be an improvement. This is the one I use.
->http://cherubi.com/tools/calculators/damage/

Next, if you want my advice:

Kingdra - You lowered all his stats. That is a bad idea all on its own. Most Pokemon are not consider OU just because of their stats, but because of their movepool and typing as well. (OU is actually all about usage, but that is neither here nor there.) I honestly think that Kingdra is mostly fine where he is. Probably a few points out of his attacking stats. (6-8 from both stats) followed by a measly couple from speed would be more than enough to drop him down a notch. Seeing as his speed (In the rain) and his overpowering STABS (Draco Meteor) are what really make him powerful.

Scizor - His attack stat is fine. A few points from it would be the minimal to take. Honestly, in competitive play, Scizor is OU for one reason alone: Bullet Punch. The access to STAB'd, technician'd priority is what makes him. Without Bullet Punch, he would fall in usage rapidly. Even then, it's not as powerful as you would like to think. It's mostly due to the fact that Steel isn't resisted by some of the most common sweepers and that Scizor can take a hit in return.

If you want some proof of this, look no further than our favorite rat, Raticate: Scizor's Bullet Punch has a small chance to not even OHKO him with Choice Band and 252 Attack EV's. That's not as powerful as many would lead you to believe.

But, in the end, we work as a team. It's definitely give or take. So, you can work with what I said, or try something else. Either way, I'd like to see more of your ideas. (Either here, through PM, or on IRC) That way Pidgey, Gammal, and I could better evaluate it. If you have any previous experience with competitive battling, that is a major plus as well.
Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Daily awesomesauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4uonU_uj0
I have a proud tradition of failure to uphold.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline Gold

• Beginning Trainer
  • 10 geek points if you know the spell is Ereshkigal
    • View Profile
Re: First Attempts at Balancing
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 05:11:44 AM »

Sp.A -20
Spd - 10
HP +15
Def +10
Sp.D+5
So, with this gengar is not totally nerfed, he lost a bit of Special Attack but is still able to do a good amount of damage (about 114 with max evs, iv using shadow ball) but the increased hp and defense mean that  Gengar can now take more than one hit.(can now survive more than 1 psychic attack by an alakazam)  Speed was also lowered a bit to keep him fair.

Gengar is notably a special sweeper he still has high special attack and speed but now he is more durable and less powerful.

What do you think, is this better?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:04:13 PM by Gold »
~A New Life~