* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Shadow Pokemon, with a solution to the new gen 5 dreamworld abilities :)  (Read 8017 times)

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
Shadow pokemon as in the type of pokemon that were in Colosseum and Gale of Darkness. If they were to be added i would say that they should be similar to the designs to the games listed previously, were as the player would gradually purify the said shadow pokemon until it eventually became "pure".
I believe that if that would be implemented it, it would most likely be an expansion. It would give players an opportunity to do something aside from gym battles or mini games if they're implemented, purifying shadow pokemon could become a sort of job, similar to how crafting works in fantasy mmorpgs.
The reward to taking the challenge of purifying such pokemon would be none other than the purified pokemon having different abilities than the pokemon one would catch normally, this could compensate for the new feature in black and white, called dream world abilities.
Also the sprite for a shadow pokemon wouldn't be that difficult to make, all one would have to do it make a dark looking aura that would work universally for all shadow pokemon and then have it be put onto the original pokemon's sprite, also a shadow pokemon could either look like its normal counter part when following the player or not be able to follow at all, this would save on the troublesome editing of Overworld sprites.

An example would be the following:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:01:07 AM by Amphi »
Never Underestimate the Kindness of other Humans.

Offline xhizor8201

• Normal Trainer
  • I'm on a boat!
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Pokemon, with a solution to the new gen 5 dreamworld abilities :)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 02:49:29 AM »
I think this is a pretty good idea. Shadow pokemon are pretty cool, but they're are only about 18 different kinds of shadow moves (and all the attacks are super effective with unlimited PP) but we cant really choose them because they dont level up.Where would the purification process take place though. Would there be various locations where it would be possible to purify them?

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:54:38 AM »
I think this is a pretty good idea. Shadow pokemon are pretty cool, but they're are only about 18 different kinds of shadow moves (and all the attacks are super effective with unlimited PP) but we cant really choose them because they dont level up.Where would the purification process take place though. Would there be various locations where it would be possible to purify them?

there probably would be a "purification" machine in every major city somewhere, possibly in a pokemon center

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 04:59:52 AM »
As far as Dream World abilities go, I think we're probably just going to have them in the random generation pool.
It's just easier for everyone :)
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 05:06:18 AM »
As far as Dream World abilities go, I think we're probably just going to have them in the random generation pool.
but that would just make it easier for people to get the abilities that could possibly be better for a pokemon

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 05:22:08 AM »
but that would just make it easier for people to get the abilities that could possibly be better for a pokemon

Precisely. We don't want people spending all their time jumping through hoops to get an ability that they want/that is passable. ;)
Bear in mind that all Pokemon are balanced to their maximum potential, and that we do factor in Dream World abilities when balancing Pokes.
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 05:23:36 AM »

Precisely. We don't want people spending all their time jumping through hoops to get an ability that they want/that is passable. ;)
Bear in mind that all Pokemon are balanced to their maximum potential, and that we do factor in Dream World abilities when balancing Pokes.

awwuh ok, well aside from the dream world ability my shadow pokemon idea is good

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 06:28:02 AM »

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 12:01:26 PM »
I need to talk with Spirit, but I would like to include a plot line involving shadow pokemon. Although, this will be far down the line, so don't expect anything soon.

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »
I need to talk with Spirit, but I would like to include a plot line involving shadow pokemon. Although, this will be far down the line, so don't expect anything soon.

well if anything it could be an expansion plot... as in a side story only accessible after one has progressed to a certain point with in the game and also downloaded the expansion

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 03:33:42 AM »
bumping for some reads, come on, good idea here O.o

Offline baralai15

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »
i like the idea, would give another thing to do in the game and you could get some nice pokemon using this. If not nice pokemon then a nice reward of some kind and i think it would be pretty fun.

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
  • The name's Fox, Mr. Fox
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 08:56:36 PM »
yeah, like baralai15 it would give us something to do. I get bored of new Pokemon games very quick, and this might add a new element for us to try.

Offline xhizor8201

• Normal Trainer
  • I'm on a boat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 01:27:25 AM »
I am still concerned about one thing. What are we gonna do about the "reverse mode" effect. We wouldn't be able to "call" them if our only icons are pokemon, bag, run, and fight.

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
  • The name's Fox, Mr. Fox
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 01:36:59 AM »
I am still concerned about one thing. What are we gonna do about the "reverse mode" effect. We wouldn't be able to "call" them if our only icons are pokemon, bag, run, and fight.
Good point. Maby you can't use them until they are purified?