* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Levels and badges  (Read 13610 times)

Offline Chad29

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
Levels and badges
« on: December 06, 2010, 06:01:57 AM »
I notice in the games that as long as you catch the pokemon yourself, it won't disobey you regardless of your badge count. Are you planning to change that? I think it would be more realistic to not just have traded pokemon become disobedient. It would help prevent people from just level grinding to get their next badge.

You should probably make it so no pokemon after a certain level will obey you completely unless you've gotten enough badges. Not just traded ones.

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
  • The name's Fox, Mr. Fox
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
Re: Levels and badges
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:07:22 AM »
that is a cool idea. I like it, only problem is that I am not on the "Team"

zylonnick

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:20:43 PM »
nice idea, althought I never went very high with my pokémon lvl's for a gym. I just beat them;)

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:18:24 PM »
I think that the real mechanics that lie within this system of 'obedience' is happiness level, or it should be based on that. The higher the happiness level, the higher probability that an over-levelled pokemon will obey. Of course, the higher the level, the lower probability the pokemon will obey.

There was a thread I think I created myself when I joined, but I tend to forget >.<

Oh, I found it!

http://pokemon-universe.com/index.php?topic=605.0
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Gigalith

• Beginning Trainer
  • Boo, Gigalith is coming for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:31:22 PM »
it should be if u buy/trade a pokemon under lvl 5 it will obey u. because then u are raising it.
and above lvl 5 will disobey when they are trained to high.

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
I think it would be better if all Pokemon above a certain level disobeyed you, like Chad said. This way, you could avoid overtraining a single Pokemon to beat the entire game with, as so many people do in the console games.

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:26:36 AM »
how would that work? if you trained a pokemon to it's maximum, when you got to the gym it wouldn't obey you...

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 10:29:28 AM »
Um... I wonder how you can train a pokemon which disobeys you to its maximum...
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 10:42:40 AM »
good point what i meant is, say with 2 gym badges pokemon only obey you to level 20, so you train it to that level, but no pokemon stay the same level when battling...

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 10:49:44 AM »
That's better! :)

I'll just keep to my original idea in the older thread.

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 02:13:12 PM »
Hrm... I have to give most idea threads credit, as they lead me to interesting ideas of my own.

Don't take this as law as it just occurred to me while noshing some breakfast and listening to some music, but we could always implement a level cap once you acquire certain badges. It could also be used to add a challenging modifier to the gyms.

For example, the first gym leader could have a level cap of 10, meaning that before you acquire their badge, you cannot raise any of your Pokemon higher than that. (However, you are free to raise an unlimited number of Pokemon up to that level). Then, once you fight the gym leader, most of their Pokemon will be a level or two higher than yours, adding a challenging feel to it.

Once beaten, you gain the badge and the ability to move on the next level cap.

This would solve the issue of people over leveling their Pokemon early in the game, the difficulty issue that most people seem to think it will lack (Though trust me, I plan to make plenty of challenges for you to overcome) and the issue of (Is it really an issue or did I simply think I read about it somewhere?) players breezing through the game too quickly. It would simply be one more reason to take it slowly and enjoy the content.

Thoughts?
Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Daily awesomesauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4uonU_uj0
I have a proud tradition of failure to uphold.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 02:45:38 PM »
I think that would work too, as in my opinion, it will work to a similar way to my suggestion about it (which is not to obey after a certain trainer level, but with a greater chance of 'not to obey' as the level of the pokemon goes higher up, except that your suggestion is harsher because in mine, it leaves room for possibly one or two more levels before training becomes hard to impossible.)

EDIT: I digressed from my own original idea... =/ Corrected it now.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:50:55 PM by Jerry »

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 04:45:54 PM »
I dislike the idea of your pokemon's obedience/level being linked to the gym badges. This game is not supposed to be linear, but this forces the player along the age old path : Gym 1 > Gym 2 etc.
Personally, I think that if a player trains his pokemon, it should obey him/her regardless. The only issue comes into play when new players are traded over powered pokemon from older players. Therefore, I think that there should be some kind of limit involved with player levels.

Offline Chad29

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 06:51:29 PM »
I dislike the idea of your pokemon's obedience/level being linked to the gym badges. This game is not supposed to be linear, but this forces the player along the age old path : Gym 1 > Gym 2 etc.
Personally, I think that if a player trains his pokemon, it should obey him/her regardless. The only issue comes into play when new players are traded over powered pokemon from older players. Therefore, I think that there should be some kind of limit involved with player levels.

It doesn't have to be linear. It doesn't have to matter which badges you get, just as long as you have X number of badges for X pokemon level.

zylonnick

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 06:56:18 PM »

It doesn't have to be linear. It doesn't have to matter which badges you get, just as long as you have X number of badges for X pokemon level.
When you have your first badge, you can of course go to the third gym, but there will the leader's pokémon be at level 30, so you are kind of supposed to follow the path.