* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Support Skills  (Read 4151 times)

Offline drpepper245

• Beginning Trainer
  • <(o.o<)c=(^^Q)
    • View Profile
Support Skills
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:06:44 AM »
When I say support skills, I don't mean Defense Curl and such.

An example of what I'm thinking about:

Let's say you start the match with a Water type, and according to the number of Water types you have benched (in this case, we'll settle for 5), each will contribute a 1% damage increase to Water moves for the active Pokemon.

To be specific, we'll have Squirtle as our starter/active Pokemon, having 5 Water types benched, will give our Squirtle a 5% damage increase to his Water Gun, against a type that takes normal damage from Water based moves.

20 damage + 5% = 21 total damage. Not very overpowering, but with a move like Hydro Pump, it can be drastic depending on the opposing Pokemon's type.

Now with that said, it doesn't necessarily have to be increasing damage outputs. We can substitute the example with a team consisting of Fire types. Each Fire type benched can contribute a 2% chance of causing Burn with any Fire based moves for the active Pokemon.

I would have suggested individual support skills for each Pokemon, but with 493 Pokemon, it would probably be a hassle to come up with unique Supports for all of them.

I think I had more to say, but I lost my train of thought, so I'll just end this here and see what the good community members of PU have to say about this.
"What can one do when one loses what matters most?" - Valkyrie Profile

Offline Kuhns

• Pixel Artist/ Part-Time Lurker
  • Normal Trainer
  • I'm (almost) back! And Sexier than ever! >:D
    • View Profile
Re: Support Skills
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 01:14:09 AM »
What about having a benched Grass or Electric Pokemon? Does that active Water Pokemon get an...un-support percentage. ;P

Offline drpepper245

• Beginning Trainer
  • <(o.o<)c=(^^Q)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:24:43 AM »
Hrmm... I guess when I was thinking about it, I only thought of the pros and not the cons. But I intended for the idea to be ambiguous, so I believe that it can... un-supportively decrease the percentage. :P

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 04:56:44 AM »
A better name for them may be "Synergy Skills" or "The Synergy Mechanic"
Anyway, it's a fairly solid idea, as there are very few teams than can have a large type dominance and still be good. If there are any at all.
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline drpepper245

• Beginning Trainer
  • <(o.o<)c=(^^Q)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 05:39:42 AM »
A better name for them may be "Synergy Skills" or "The Synergy Mechanic"
Anyway, it's a fairly solid idea, as there are very few teams than can have a large type dominance and still be good. If there are any at all.

Synergy reminds me of Diablo 2, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

On topic, I don't mind what it's called, just thought I needed to name it so people can at least grasp the idea. But Synergy does sound more fancy, me likey. :3

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 07:01:03 AM »
That would encourage more 'type directed' teams (common weakness and common moves super effective to another type(s))... and less of diversified teams (different weakness, different fields of super effective). I suggest that there is a tournament with that facility, but not everywhere in the game.

Like some tournaments will have some restrictions, there could be some with added facilities.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline drpepper245

• Beginning Trainer
  • <(o.o<)c=(^^Q)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 09:16:15 AM »
That would encourage more 'type directed' teams (common weakness and common moves super effective to another type(s))... and less of diversified teams (different weakness, different fields of super effective). I suggest that there is a tournament with that facility, but not everywhere in the game.

Like some tournaments will have some restrictions, there could be some with added facilities.

Wouldn't the encouragement be a good thing? Competitive play usually always have diverse teams and what not, teams that accommodate one another. Same type team can always fall short to 1 Pokemon if built right. I don't believe the boosts are major, just enough for some people to consider if they like using only a certain type. :P

Just thinking about the people who like to use only 1 type and the mishap of having the same weakness is all~

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 09:24:44 AM »
I am one of them, if I didn't seemed to be one. But still, I prefer it not being in all the matches, but in certain tournaments.

Even if the team can land super effective moves on any pokemon type, there is still the fact that more than one will have a type disadvantage. Once they are out of play, the rest would be all against  a full team, then with less advantage. I know it's a little confusing, but it's like that.

Say you have all fire types. Weaknesses: Rock, Ground, Water.
One of them is fire/fighting, so rock is not much of problem. If that pokemon gets knocked out, you'll no longer be able to take out rock type pokemon easily, since the pokemon you intended to use is no more there.

That's the reason why I want it to be in tournaments, where you need to choose a single type of pokemon. Then, everyone will have the same advantage, same handicap concerning the boosts.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 11:41:22 AM »
i like the idea of having tournaments based around type built teams
but i actually like the idea of having a boost for type built teams as well. i wasn't sure at first, but it would encourage people to do so, and could allow for more balance. if this were to be implemented i do not think there should be a negative effect though, and the boost should be a little higher than 1% (i know you were just using that as an example). the reason i think that it should only be a positive is that it would begin to discourage mutli-type teams from being built. this way, there could be the people that try to play on type advantages (i base my team on working well together), and then there would be people that would be able to have a single type, and be rewarded for making their team have a collective weakness as well.