* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Author Topic: Pixel Tutorials  (Read 14293 times)

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Pixel Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:58:03 pm »
thumbs up. moved and sticked!
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline Monzta

• CharlesedickNB
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Effectively.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 03:25:13 pm »
Wow, they're great, thanks for posting them :3

Offline Skullslasher

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 10:34:01 pm »
wow thnx man its helpful at least for dummies like me
Helping Hand

Offline TrainerX

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 11:51:52 pm »
I suck at pixel art, but this is helping me a lot. Maybe I could make a few sprites, tiles, trees, and houses once I get better.

Offline Nidrax

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • Feel the Magic of Friendship
    • View Profile
    • My dA Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 06:16:50 pm »
A beginner pixelart tutorial (click to open in full size):

Not a pr0 tut, but it will help at the start, I think.

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 02:18:46 pm »
Short tutorial on making a Fakémon Completely from scratch. In paint.

I made a small typo in the tutorial, original GBA size is 64x64

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline Nidrax

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • Feel the Magic of Friendship
    • View Profile
    • My dA Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 02:43:37 pm »
I prefer making scratch from scanned sketch in PS, but thanks for contributing ;)

Offline Isha

• New Trainer
  • I'M NEW! BE NICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 06:32:53 am »
Whaaaaat I am pretty good at paint but I had no idea that it was an art! Much less for games :) I want to help how do I "try out" or become a pixel artist for the game? (I'm new so idk how to do anything)

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 10:21:29 am »
Whaaaaat I am pretty good at paint but I had no idea that it was an art! Much less for games :) I want to help how do I "try out" or become a pixel artist for the game? (I'm new so idk how to do anything)

You can insert a job application in the 'Job' section. You'll have to include some of your works with your application. We're in dire need of more pixelartists.

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 11:11:07 am »
As promised I'll be posting new written tutorials here, it's still incomplete so bear with me. ~

This tutorial will include the following topics:

- Recolour Tutorial
- Revamp/Devamp Tutorial
- Retype Tutorial
- Splice Tutorial
- Repose Tutorial
- Scratch Tutorial

Everything coloured green is a finished tutorial.
And this tutorial is based on the use of the program MS paint.

Recolour tutorial

In this tutorial I will explain the basics of recolouring. Recolouring means giving a certain excisting pokémon sprite diffrent colours. Take the colour from a diffrent pokémon you'd like to use. If you're experienced with recolouring consider trying to make your own colour pallete. But please do mind that the diffrence in shading shouldn't be too much or else the quality of your sprite will look bad. I give a few examples where the shading is too dark or too light:

This one's not a recolour. However, it has three colours of brown in it's palette. However, the diffrence in colours are too light to notice the second colour which is between the lightest and the darkest colour. It results in the sprite looking a bit flatter than it should be.

Here is another mistake. Froslass barely needed shading for her sprite because she is supposed to be a dress. The skirt looks fine because there is not too much shading, but the head however looks way too dark making the quality of the sprite look bad.

Just keep using your mind, if a colour's too light to notice make it darker. If a colour is too dark make it lighter. On another note, do NOT use the default paint pallete. These colours are sometimes to bright for the eye and some people will suffer from 'burning' eyes.

Without further ado let's begin recolouring:

Step 1
Pick a sprite.

Step 2
Select another sprite you want to have the colour of or make your own colour palette.

If you've decided to pick colours from another pokémon sprite use the colour picker to pick ALL the colours of the sprite.

Step 3
Once you've made your palette it's time to recolour the sprite. In paint it's pretty easy to do. Take the colour picker and pick the colour you want to change on the sprite you want to recolour with the left mouse button. Then you choose the colour picker again and right click the colour you want to use.

Now choose the eraser and hold down the right button. Sweep the eraser all over your sprite until the chosen colour is entirely switched. Continue this for every colour. This will be your result:

Step 4
You're almost done, but mind this: The coloured outlines of togepi's sprite are still in this picture, and they tend to be lighter than Clefairy's colour palette. Do not forget to colour these too. Outlines are also part of the shading and have to be a darker colour than the colour that is directly connected to it.

(optional) Step 5
To add some more challenge to your recolour you can also make your own patterns on the sprite. Like I did with Persian and Vileplume at the beginning of the tutorial. ~