* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Quest Idea I  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Azaeliaz

• Beginning Trainer
  • Break It Up, You Two...
    • View Profile
Quest Idea I
« on: April 24, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
This one is my idea! Probably lame though...ah well  :)

Ok, so you are in a village when a man screams his daughter is missing. The village elder comes out and says that this is troubling news. He (it could be a girl but I will refer to the elder as a male) insists that she was last seen around a cave. (I'm thinking the cave's name should be Whisper Cave, because the wind sounds like whispering around it, but I'm not on the team.) He thinks that you should go investigate. Then he gives you a charm that allows you to understand Pokemon (only in general senses, of course.) In the cave, you find a scared little Jigglypuff. You get the fact that its Trainer, Lyssa (again, changeable name), was taken away by a Salamence. It will then ask to go with you. If you don't have room, you can't go on. It should say, "Is it fair to leave that poor Jigglypuff alone?" It refuses to battle for you though, so basically it's just taking up space in your party (but this detail can be thought about though.) Halfway into the cave, you find a note. It says, "If you find this, be warned, person. The Salamence is really tough!" It's signed by Lyssa. At the end of the cave, you find Lyssa forced into a corner by Salamence. You battle it, and you can capture it or not. This quest can end 3 different ways, I think:
Option 1: You capture Salamence and help Lyssa. You give her back Jigglypuff. She says, "Oh, thank you, Trainer! Your name is...<trainername>? Ok then! I was exploring this cave when I was attacked by that Salamence. Apparently I disturbed its home. I should be more careful. Here, take these!" Reward: One of each evolutionary stone (Thunder, Water, Leaf, Fire, Moon, Dawn, Shiny, Dusk) "I can't thank you enough for helping me!" she says. Later, in the village, you find out Lyssa is the elder's grand-daughter. The elder lets you keep the charm, which allows you to communicate with your Pokemon. Like, your Pokemon might say, "<Trainername>, I'm really hungry. Let's stop and rest soon."
Option 2: Same as 1, except instead of capturing the Salamence (you defeat it instead), you get the message, "Salamence is very tired now...it doesn't look like it has strength to go on." Then it faints and collapses on the ground. Everything else is identical to 1. (You get the stones and keep the charm.)
Option 3: All your Pokemon fainted while battling Salamence. But, unlike other defeats, you don't lose money and return to the Pokemon Center. Lyssa recovers from her fright, battles the Salamence, and manages to capture it. She turns to you, and you give her back her Jigglypuff. "Thank you Trainer. Your name is...<trainername>? Ok! I accidentally disturbed this Salamence's nest, and I couldn't capture it because I couldn't get my Pokemon out. Thank you for helping me!" Then she gives you five evolutionary stones (Water, Fire, Thunder, Leaf, Moon). The elder still lets you keep the charm.

That's my quest. I'm sorry if you think it's bad. But this is my idea! Please no negative comments, I already know it's not that good. Suggestions are ok though...in fact, I'd like to make this better...
Do you ever feel that one day, you're going to meet a real Pokemon? Yeah, I have SEPD. (That's short for Seriously Extreme Pokemon Addiction.)

I think I need to be put in a fanatic's mental hospital.

Offline Silver

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • Touhou Encyclopedia
    • View Profile
Re: Quest Idea I
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 06:26:02 PM »
Its not Terrible...
The dialogue is cheesy, and the reward isnt anywhere near what the quest should give you.
Maybe...1 stone?
Definately not all of them, I have to say, thats just useless.
There doesnt seem to be a drawback to losing either, it seemsl ike no matter what you do, you get the reward, which means there's no reason to win other than catching it, and even that isn't really worth it, as most players would want to catch a bagon and work up to a salamence so that its been micromanaged to how they like it.
The thrill in playing a game does not come from our chances of winning. It is the weight and pressure of losing that fuels our fascination. It is why people challenge, why they gamble and why they compete. The adrenaline that comes from defying defeat is what motivates us.

Offline Wire

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 07:14:48 PM »
Ok i don't understand how quests are going to work as theres going to be alot of people on the server at the time like one person could be half way through it and then someone is ending it or beginning it.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 08:17:28 PM »
For that part it's okay (the "one person could be half way through it and then someone is ending it or beginning it"), don't worry about it for the time being.

The plot in itself is a bit strange; more could be added to it to make it feel more 'real'.

Otherwise, I agree with Silver in that the prize is a little too much, and the goal of the quest seems... like there's no goal to achieve.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
I kinda liked the beginning, cliched as it is. However, it does seem a bit simple. Why don't you see if you can come up with a different task to complete? Additionally, the Jigglypuff seems to play no role...
Finally, with regard to rewards, I think the necklace in itself would be good enough. The only problem I have with that is having to write hundreds of lines of dialogue for pokemon. *Gulp*