* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Type resistances  (Read 4138 times)

Offline Chad29

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
Type resistances
« on: July 28, 2011, 12:01:25 AM »
I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but does anyone think it would be a good idea to make types universally resistant against their own attack types? We all know some types like ground and fighting aren't resistant to attacks of those types, and I don't know why the developers made it that way. I think it would be good if it was that way.

This could make some problems, like dragons only being weak to ice attacks. This change would remove Kingdra's one weakness, not to mention dragons are probably too powerful to remove one of their weaknesses.

Steel types are the only type resistant to dragon, and their offensive power is limited. Perhaps we could make dragons weak against steel, which would match up with the myths of knights slaying dragons.

ghosts may or may not can do with just being weak to dark attacks.

Would this make too dramatic a change in balance?

Offline nightshade06

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Type resistances
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 05:28:39 AM »
well i would say having something with only 1 weakness would make it rather powerful and lots of ppl would seek those and would kinda take away of the diversity of pokemon ppl use in the game from what i have seen from what you guys have said before you are wanting to balance it as much as possible so all pokemon have a chance which i understand water being weak to electric and etc etc of stuff like that and yea from what i seen tere is only a few full fledge dragon types that dont have other types as in water or fire and stuff..so yea taking away on soemtings only weakness would be bad XD but yea there should be weaknesses because it wouldnt be full fledge pokemon otherwise :)

Offline Shadowfred

• Gameplay Balancer/Pretty cool guy
  • PU Team
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 09:34:48 AM »
Oh god, my eyes. Could you use a little punctuation next time?

Anyways, it's not necessarily having only one weakness that makes a type powerful, the amount of resistances should also be taken into account. Normal already has only one weakness, and I wouldn't call it a powerful type. Solid, sure, but not powerful.

Back to Chad. I'm fairly certain this would make a dramatic change in balance. We've already gone through heaps of pokemon using the current type weaknesses and resistances and changing it now would force us to re evaluate them. I think it would be cool to mess around with the types, but as it is now I don't think we'll be changing them.

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:29:48 AM »
Any change to the types has a rippling effect - and if you strive for good balance between types it throws everything we know into chaos.

Believe me, I tried to make minor changes to the type matchups, and the whole thing ended up dreadful.
It's easiest to treat each Poke individually ^_^
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Flynt

• Balance Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 11:38:15 AM »
Any change to the types has a rippling effect - and if you strive for good balance between types it throws everything we know into chaos.
It's easiest to treat each Poke individually ^_^
i agree.

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 11:54:37 AM »
 I also agree that messing around with types would prove to be an interesting experience, and if it would work out for some reason it would be rather fun, but I do not believe a Pokémon should be resistant to it's own type. A punch still hurts a Fighting type just like it does the rest of us. While he might have a resistance against people not trained for fighting, all the Fighting Pokémon are extremely powerful. So any resistance it would gain, would be most likely lost.

Another example would be: If a Dragon can't beat a Dragon, who can? Since Dragons are mythical beings and were considered to be extremely powerful and dangerous, well armored with scales. But even those scales didn't hold out when they were fighting one another.

PS: I like your idea about Steel being a Dragon slaying type. But if we want to stick to it, than make Dragons immune to Fire types as well. It's just fun to play with the idea. :)
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Chad29

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 02:13:56 PM »
I understand that it could throw things into chaos. Probably not the best idea.

Not all dragons have an affinity to fire, so having an immunity to fire might not make so much sense.

Offline Desbear

• Soryboard Writer
  • PU Trial-Team
  • Elite Trainer
  • TRANSMISSION_FOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »
Oh god, my eyes. Could you use a little punctuation next
Wow, that sounds like something Frenchfry used to tell me.
TRANSMISSION_END

Offline Shadow of Darkness

• Normal Trainer
  • Dragon Ellemental Elite!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 06:54:21 AM »
I think the types should just stay the same instead of mixing it up, because even if Dragons only have 2 weakness one
of those is extremely effective.  If your team just had one ice pokemon it could still deal loads of damage.   Ice beam is like a KO every time and it doesn't need another weakness.:):):):)

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 09:54:13 PM »
I'd rather leave weaknesses and resistances as close to the official Game Freak games as possible.  That and as shadowfred and pidgey said it would screw up all the balancing that has been thus far.
Never Underestimate the Kindness of other Humans.

Offline Ez

• Good Trainer
  • Pikaderp
    • View Profile
    • My Banner Thread
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 09:24:19 AM »
Yea messing with the weakness system would mess up the current system and although you had a good idea i just don't see it being implemented this late, if this was discussed years ago then yes there could be a chance of someone making a new system that is fair but because of how far the team is into the game this isn't possible.
It's over 9000!