* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: [Quest] Magmortar and the Red Mountain  (Read 8394 times)

Offline Kuhns

• Pixel Artist/ Part-Time Lurker
  • Normal Trainer
  • I'm (almost) back! And Sexier than ever! >:D
    • View Profile
[Quest] Magmortar and the Red Mountain
« on: February 06, 2010, 03:00:16 AM »
This is a questastic idea that's been bouncing around in my head for a couple days...so since I have nothing better to do I decided to show yah'll.

Prerequisite:

Any Pokemon > than level 35. (I was also thinking about a trainer level too, but knowing almost nothing about what the PU Team is doing about that, I'll just leave that part blank. ;)

The quest really begins around an area of mountains, further still, a specific, huge mountain called the Red Mountain for, you guessed it, being a rusted red color.... ...The mountain is also an medium-active volcano.

So anyways, the player starts the quest by running around next to the entrance (made unavailable before the quest by a very dutiful guard) and is then stopped by a dialogue box, saying something like: You hear a loud scream somewhere around you...Watch Out!

Which begins a random encounter with some kind of Fire Pokemon. The Fire Pokemon is not only a tad stronger for its level, but its also enraged, lowering the effectiveness of Water-Type attacks. You can defeat it, run from it, or try to catch it. Catching it will always fail, running from it will lower the chance of the [Quest Item] to drop, and defeating it will cause it to limp away so the player can 'find'...a small steel key.

The key opens the previously closed off Red Mountain Cave entrance, and when the player enters the first chamber they find the 'guard' lying on the ground. Leaving the guard behind, the player then begins their journey through a series of red-rocked caves, gooey lava pools and pissed off Fire Pokemon. At the end of the cave system is one final chamber, an exit on the other side, but the player has one 'last' challenge to face: the bigger-than-average, angry, Magmortar.

I lied, the player actually has to either run away from the battle or lose by design. They 'black out' a moment later and wake up safe outside the cave. There are several scruffy looking people around the cave entrance, all with water type Pokemon. When the player wakes up, all of the guards just grunt and point towards the village. This starts the bulk of the MRM Quest.

Pahoen is the name of the town. I'm not going to reveal all of the history, that would ruin the mystery. But I will tell some important things interesting to the story in paragraph format below.

Pahoen: Is a forgotten little village hidden in the mass of the Red Mountain. History says the town was settled several hundred years after a large volcanic explosion blew out a crater sized hole in the back side. (That explains the trees, and the water and the plants, and the humans living there. :P) The town is near one of the most inactive parts of the volcano, and as such is safe from any...explosions that might happen.

But why would people settle in such a town?

Two words: Fire Stones. The mountain is rich with minerals, irons, and Pokemon, but none more so then Fire Stones. In fact the town use to be a prime tourist location too, drawing people and trainers alike from the farthest sides of the lands. All things come with a price though.... The rich minerals and the Fire Stones especially drew the attention of the Dark Drilling Mining Company. They came with promises and the townspeople agreed. Soon the mines that once filled with pickaxes and other Pokemon-friendly tools were replaced with high powered thermal drills and explosives. The mines grew without direction, burrowing further and further into the Red Mountain...and then six years after the DDMC came, something strange happened. Something that caused the tourists and trainers, the DDMC and the (non-Fire Pokemon) to flee. And since then, Paheon has lay forgotten and lost, scarred in the flames of the angry Fire Pokemon who dwell deep in the mountain....

Until the player comes along to get in the way save the day.

I'm not going to go further into the smaller quest arcs only in that they include: rescues, exploration, investigation, people skills, and...other stuff. (If you guys want to ask about any of these I guess I can go into more detail, but this post is getting pretty long right now.)

Oh yeah, if the player is carrying a Fire Pokemon, they might as well send it somewhere else. Until the player finishes the quest, Fire Pokemon wont listen, and might even run away.

The player will face off against that Magmortar again, but they'll be equip with the tools (and the key to the mystery) strong enough to take it down. The player will then have the access to a town others who haven't played the quest wont, a unique place to look for Fire Pokemon, and discounts of Fire Stones in the local market.  ::)

Expand or question, tell me what yah'll think. Or do you want to hear more about the in-between?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:30:02 AM by Kuhns »

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: [Quest] Magmortar and the Red Mountain
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 03:22:00 AM »
I absolutely loved it. :]

I especially like the ending, where only people who've completed the quest are allowed to search for fire pokemon to catch and stones to buy in the town.

Offline Kuhns

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 03:37:06 AM »
Yeah, nobody is really suppose to know the town even still exists--the people there too stubborn to let it die. Its also a natural noob-free zone.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:36:44 PM by Kuhns »

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 06:55:38 AM »
I like the idea too. It's detailed enough to understand everything, for me.

There's only one thing I'm wondering about. What will be the 'tools' equipped to the player? Something to keep him/her cool (literally) in that hot cave? Or some more things?

I guess the people having the water pokemons are the ones who gave them to you, in the hope that you'll save them.

Oh, and lastly, there could be more 'fire' items on sales there, like for example, flame orb, TMs (fire type moves), etc.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 11:56:20 AM »
everyone seems to like the idea, but now the real test.... will spirit like it? dum dum dudududududuummmmmmm

i'm too tired right now, i'll read it tomorrow and let you know

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 08:25:55 PM »
ok fine, i like what you have so far... and am intrigued to see what you would do with side quests and such

please email it to me instead

Offline Kuhns

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »
There's only one thing I'm wondering about. What will be the 'tools' equipped to the player? Something to keep him/her cool (literally) in that hot cave? Or some more things?

'Tools' mean more along the lines of the items necessary to complete the quest and solve the mystery. ;) But yes, the Player will need them if they ever hope to...beat Magmortar.

Oh, and lastly, there could be more 'fire' items on sales there, like for example, flame orb, TMs (fire type moves), etc.

I was thinking something like that. A special reward item that'll boost fire type moves more so than regular common items. But the item I was thinking of is essential to the mystery plot a secret.

everyone seems to like the idea, but now the real test.... will spirit like it? dum dum dudududududuummmmmmm

i'm too tired right now, i'll read it tomorrow and let you know

ok fine, i like what you have so far... and am intrigued to see what you would do with side quests and such

please email it to me instead

How mean. xD Email you the smaller quest arcs and whatnot?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:51:13 PM by Kuhns »

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 10:31:06 PM »
yeah, all the stuff that you said you were planning on writing, but would only do so if people asked for it. well im asking for it. email it to me. do it! do it now!

just click on my account and click on my email, that should work nicely

Offline DayStar

• Beginning Trainer
  • Live Life To The Full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 10:58:25 PM »
A LOT of detail - love it!
I think it's a good quest, but it needs more of the basic elements, such as how big is the cavern and are there trainers inside etc...

But I love it anyway ;)
+1 Post
----------
Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad!
Everybody do the Kirby dance!!!
<( "<) <( " )> (>" )>

Offline Kuhns

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 11:07:16 PM »
I think it's a good quest, but it needs more of the basic elements, such as how big is the cavern and are there trainers inside etc...

There are going to be trainers somewhat, but a lot of the fighting is with Pokemon. That's why I didn't really mention any of that. ;)

yeah, all the stuff that you said you were planning on writing, but would only do so if people asked for it. well im asking for it. email it to me. do it! do it now!

just click on my account and click on my email, that should work nicely

Oh all right. Just give me some time to make it look decent.

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
  • legenadaries are just too OP... just too OP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 03:46:59 PM »
i like the idea, only to be able to buy firstones by completing a questline. should be done for all of the stones? just to ensure that theyre harder to get then its for now.
"Call me Tom."

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 08:11:31 PM »

I was thinking something like that. A special reward item that'll boost fire type moves more so than regular common items. But the item I was thinking of is essential to the mystery plot a secret.

Don't tell me that item starts with an 's'  :o
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline zrper

• Beginning Trainer
  • profile pic by amphy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 01:57:25 AM »
This is a questastic idea that's been bouncing around in my head for a couple days...so since I have nothing better to do I decided to show yah'll.

Prerequisite:

Any Pokemon > than level 35. (I was also thinking about a trainer level too, but knowing almost nothing about what the PU Team is doing about that, I'll just leave that part blank. ;)

The quest really begins around an area of mountains, further still, a specific, huge mountain called the Red Mountain for, you guessed it, being a rusted red color.... ...The mountain is also an medium-active volcano.
NOOOOOOOO!  MY INFERNAPE WILL NEVER RUN AWAY! NEVER!!!
So anyways, the player starts the quest by running around next to the entrance (made unavailable before the quest by a very dutiful guard) and is then stopped by a dialogue box, saying something like: You hear a loud scream somewhere around you...Watch Out!

Which begins a random encounter with some kind of Fire Pokemon. The Fire Pokemon is not only a tad stronger for its level, but its also enraged, lowering the effectiveness of Water-Type attacks. You can defeat it, run from it, or try to catch it. Catching it will always fail, running from it will lower the chance of the [Quest Item] to drop, and defeating it will cause it to limp away so the player can 'find'...a small steel key.

The key opens the previously closed off Red Mountain Cave entrance, and when the player enters the first chamber they find the 'guard' lying on the ground. Leaving the guard behind, the player then begins their journey through a series of red-rocked caves, gooey lava pools and pissed off Fire Pokemon. At the end of the cave system is one final chamber, an exit on the other side, but the player has one 'last' challenge to face: the bigger-than-average, angry, Magmortar.

I lied, the player actually has to either run away from the battle or lose by design. They 'black out' a moment later and wake up safe outside the cave. There are several scruffy looking people around the cave entrance, all with water type Pokemon. When the player wakes up, all of the guards just grunt and point towards the village. This starts the bulk of the MRM Quest.

Pahoen is the name of the town. I'm not going to reveal all of the history, that would ruin the mystery. But I will tell some important things interesting to the story in paragraph format below.

Pahoen: Is a forgotten little village hidden in the mass of the Red Mountain. History says the town was settled several hundred years after a large volcanic explosion blew out a crater sized hole in the back side. (That explains the trees, and the water and the plants, and the humans living there. :P) The town is near one of the most inactive parts of the volcano, and as such is safe from any...explosions that might happen.

But why would people settle in such a town?

Two words: Fire Stones. The mountain is rich with minerals, irons, and Pokemon, but none more so then Fire Stones. In fact the town use to be a prime tourist location too, drawing people and trainers alike from the farthest sides of the lands. All things come with a price though.... The rich minerals and the Fire Stones especially drew the attention of the Dark Drilling Mining Company. They came with promises and the townspeople agreed. Soon the mines that once filled with pickaxes and other Pokemon-friendly tools were replaced with high powered thermal drills and explosives. The mines grew without direction, burrowing further and further into the Red Mountain...and then six years after the DDMC came, something strange happened. Something that caused the tourists and trainers, the DDMC and the (non-Fire Pokemon) to flee. And since then, Paheon has lay forgotten and lost, scarred in the flames of the angry Fire Pokemon who dwell deep in the mountain....

Until the player comes along to get in the way save the day.

I'm not going to go further into the smaller quest arcs only in that they include: rescues, exploration, investigation, people skills, and...other stuff. (If you guys want to ask about any of these I guess I can go into more detail, but this post is getting pretty long right now.)

Oh yeah, if the player is carrying a Fire Pokemon, they might as well send it somewhere else. Until the player finishes the quest, Fire Pokemon wont listen, and might even run away.

The player will face off against that Magmortar again, but they'll be equip with the tools (and the key to the mystery) strong enough to take it down. The player will then have the access to a town others who haven't played the quest wont, a unique place to look for Fire Pokemon, and discounts of Fire Stones in the local market.  ::)

Expand or question, tell me what yah'll think. Or do you want to hear more about the in-between?

Uh-huh

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 05:31:09 PM »
Um... the things you inserted get drowned into the whole text. Could you separate the parts you have written, I only noticed that you said your Infernape will never run away... but nothing else.

Offline harb

• Contributor
  • Beginning Trainer
  • RAWR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 11:01:25 AM »
I really like this quest idea, the story is great and really sets the whole area up for a great questline. I'm gonna use your idea as inspiration for making a map.