* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: [QUEST] Infection (debatable title)  (Read 10473 times)

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
[QUEST] Infection (debatable title)
« on: September 27, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
Part 1: Outbreak
Setting: A small medical facility, entire region
Desired Level: Any, can be leveled with players last badge obtained
Time: Near Halloween, think zombies, but they're Pokemon.
Plot: A powerful new virus is spreading, and making Pokemon extremely aggressive, including those that have been tamed. Do you have what it takes to find the cure, and save all the Pokemon from destroying themselves, and civilization?

Start: A bulletin goes out to all trainers, stating that a group of doctors and scientists needs help researching a virus that has spread quickly overnight. Locate the medical facility and talk to the head researcher (could be Professor Alder) to begin. (For now, we'll just call him professor, since this person could literally be anyone if implemented)

Professor: "Welcome, I assume you came regarding the bulletin that was sent out. Well, thanks for coming. Over the past few days, there have been multiple reports of Pokemon rampaging through towns, attacking anything in sight, only to collapse soon after. When they're brought to a Pokemon Center for treatment, the moment they wake up, they begin to attack again. One such Pokemon has been brought to us, a Kangaskhan. Once it passed out, we took a blood sample and noticed an anomaly, what looks like a new strain of virus. We already recorded the effect of Pokerus, but this one looks completely different, and instead of helping with a Pokemon growth, it appears to harm them. This is where you come in, we have reports of a large mass of infected Pokemon in (random city), and it seems to be too much for anyone to handle. We already sent every trainer that came to us there to help. If we can get the Pokemon to faint, we can bring them here to continue our work for the cure. Come back when the Pokemon are subdued."

*Note: None of the infected Pokemon will be able to be caught, and will be very powerful. They will all be holding a life orb that can't be stolen to simulate the virus' effect taking place on them.

*Another option, provided by Jerry, is that these Pokemon would have a status effect that works like poison, but powers them up, while having an ability to inflict a random effect, or maybe the same effect, on your Pokemon, but very limited so it can be healed. (Will explain why in the next two parts.)

Head to the city and begin battling the Pokemon. The player must defeat 25 of them to count as the wave subdued. At random moments during this quest, more waves may come up, and you must defeat 25 in those waves to complete the objective. This is basically part one of the quest, defeat waves, and report back to check the progress of the cure. Each time you defeat a wave, you earn a sum of cash, and some berries for your hard work.

Pt.2 is in progress, and will be more in dept and complex. Need an example?
http://pokemon-universe.com/index.php?topic=3649.0
Here is another quest idea I wrote to give you an idea of how well my writing skills are, and how I write out quests. Expect great battles from the Sickness quest saga (Name is debatable).

Please post all feedback, criticism, or ideas. If I like an idea, I'll give you credit for it.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:15:45 AM by Cortex J. »
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

zylonnick

Re: [QUEST] Part 1: Outbreak
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »
Nice beginning, I'd love to see how this quest-series evolve. (I hate the name though, but I'm lacking inspiration atm).

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 08:22:03 PM »
Hm... nice beginning indeed. Though, one slight though, I'm not sure what you are doing with the 'inclusing those which have been tamed'.

Like, I expected that you had some problems too with your pokemon, but it wasn't really addressed later on. Maybe instead of Life Orb, we have them get a new status which has the same effect as the Life Orb. I don't think that it would be difficult to implement; sort of just like poison or bad poison, and it powers up the pokemon.

As for your own pokemon, maybe give them random status inflictions on random turns battling the infected pokemon. Sort of like Effect Spore but random and not exclusively requiring physical contact. This, I think would add  some more challenge to it :P
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:28:37 PM »
Maybe a random status effect would work here, and these Pokemon can't be caught, so it's not like someone can just nab them and use them against everyone they meet. But how would it explain the fact that your Pokemon can be healed out of the status, hang on, I got it (just so you know, I'm brainstorming). It will half be explained in part two, and fully explained in part three. But I won't release too much details on what just happened in my head.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:41:07 PM »
Well, I sort of implied that the wild pokemon have been exposed to the virus a lot more time than your pokemon, thus the virus have keen 'kicked into them' for some time. They have been having the same symptoms for first few 'hours', just like the ones your pokemon will be experiencing now.

Maybe even add the element that tame pokemon tend to fight off better the virus than wild ones, as they have been marked by the pokeball signature. Though they still get infected, they just don't get the symptoms as fast.

And no, I know well that they can't be caught x3 I thought of knock off when I read that they couldn't be 'thieved'.

And yea, I brainstorm when I write my posts too :P
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:45:10 PM »
I may have Part 2 done with with that alone, and it is a great idea, but I'm heading in a different direction with it as well. I can place it as an optional explanation in Part 2, but right now, I'm trying to figure a good transition into it. I'm getting the writers block.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:49:56 PM »
Sure sure, I just get into thinking my own ways when you give me the occasion to :P It's just stronger than me XD

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 08:53:39 PM »
The weird thing is, this is easy for me because I write quests for Fallout all the time, and even make them as mods. I occasionally write stories, but they tend to get really cheesy, or very confusing. My best one was about a knight (surprise, surprise) and I was going to submit it to a contest, but I chickened out. Well, back to the outline, tyring to write about 4 different things now, two are quests, one is a poem (for a girl, duh) and the other is a short story about a boy named Uno.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 08:59:53 PM »
Don't worry, take your time and get it right :). I think I'm lucky that you weren't here further, or I might not have won the Quest Contest XD. Anyway, I'll read them when you post them and... good luck with the girl ;)

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: [QUEST] Infection (debatable title)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 08:11:27 PM »
Part 2: Quarantine
Setting: The same research lab.
Time: Closer to Halloween
Plot: Now that infected Pokemon have been obtained, it is time to find the source of the infection.

Start: You are called back to the lab for an urgent meeting. Head there, and talk to the head researcher.

Professor:"Thanks for all your help over the past few days (weeks if started at the beginning of October). We have tested and observed all the Pokemon that have been detained, and were expecting the virus to have different variations, but it has the same appearance in every one of them. This lead us to one conclusion: the virus is synthetic. With this, we can easily create a cure, but since the Pokemon haven't developed an immunity to the virus yet, we won't be able to, and we don't have the time to wait for...."

Just then, you and the professor notice that someone is in the holding area attempting to release the Pokemon. You reach this person before it happens

Begin battle against Shady Scientist
He uses  Pokemon, each one immune to the virus, Magnemite, Voltorb, and Porygon. (Replace with evolved forms depending on the badges. The levels are also based on the badges.)

After completion
Professor:"Who are you? What are you doing?"

Shady Scientists(SS):"I am no one, pay no mind to me. Who am I kidding, I just lost to some brat, what makes me think I can get away now. I am a researcher at Mystereon Industries. We research ways to make Pokemon more battle worthy. However, our research seems to have gotten out of hand."

Player:"Out of hand?! Pokemon are rampaging all over place! Tell us more, now!"

SS:"If you insist, I don't want to suffer anymore embarrassment. You see, we wanted to understand why a Pokemon needs to use certain moves in order to increase their abilities. Why can’t they have these boosts before entering a battle, and why do the boosts disappear when the battle ends?  We have been studying this phenomenon on one Pokemon for years until we made a break through, a medicine that has permanent boosting abilities, however, we were only able to boost the atk abilities, and speed. It was a substantial increase in power, but we soon realized something, its defenses were significantly weaker, and it would start to lose energy over time. We were in the middle of solving this problem until we observed our first subject begin to go on a rampage, and started biting the other Pokemon. These Pokemon proceeded with the same results, increase in combat skills and speed, but low defenses and gradually losing health until they faint. We created a virus, one that has the capabilities of becoming a powerful weapon. We were about to shut the research down and begin looking for a cure, but the Pokemon broke out, and it was out of our control then. I was trying to capture the Pokemon and bring them back so we can figure out a cure, I wasn;t trying to release them back into the wild.”

Professor: “If we can get your original research, we may be able to combine ours with that, and figure out a cure from there. From what it looks, trainers who have taken care of the waves have noticed their Pokemon get infected. However, the effect wore off once they gotten them to a Pokemon center.  We aren’t sure if it’s due to the tag a pokeball blaces on a Pokemon when they are caught, or if the bond between the trainer and the Pokemon is somehow preventing the virus from remaining. Either way, we need to get that research. (Looks to player) Will you be able to handle this?

Player: “Of course I can, I won’t fail.”

“I don’t know, but I’ll try.” (either one cause the same scene to progress, but this one is for fun.)

Professor: “Thank you, you have been a great help. You, scientist, where is this lab located?

SS: “In the middle of a huge crater, just outside (any rocky region will do). Be careful though, the area is guarded by steel, rock, and ground Pokemon. The steel types are unaffected by the virus, but the rock and ground types are.”

Head to the lab, fighting off the Pokemon on the way. The professor has given you some full heals that are a bit stronger to counter any infection you may encounter. (It’s just a plain full heal, but you get the idea).
Once the Player reaches the entrance you will have the option of continuing later. Part Three will begin if you choose to go on, or you can put it off until you feel like finishing it. 

Now, part three is still being written, so if anyone has any ideas, or any comments about this one, feel free to post, I will read them, and credit you if I like the Idea.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:11:31 PM »
Hm... would that mean that if you have a steel-type pokemon, it won't be infected either? You could perhaps add that at the part the professor tries to say everything he knows about how to  cure the pokemon. Maybe have a little branch off from there, something like:

If the trainer has used steel-type pokemon, then he mentions it and the SS doesn't mention it later on.
Else, it goes as you described.

It doesn't sound complicated to implement, so I guess this is possible. :)

Otherwise, I don't think I can add anything else, good job! :P

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
  • The name's Fox, Mr. Fox
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 10:49:25 PM »
wow. You should be a quest writer.

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 10:53:56 PM »
@ Jerry, I am considereing it, and will porbably add that little bit later.
@Fox, I don't want to be a quest writer for here, this is just practice for my quest mods in Fallout. I also do this because I love to write. I'm not looking for benefits, just want to present what I have.

Offline Yorkin

• Beginning Trainer
  • Long live AAML
    • View Profile
    • www.fanfiction.net - Yorkin
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 10:40:17 PM »
This sounds nice. I like quests that have long storyline (and preferably after-effects on player's individual gaming). You know, this could be something like big server-event thing to happen once a month for example, or two three times a year. Hope to see a sequel of this idea soon.
Wanna-be a Fire Pokemon Master.

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 02:47:14 AM »
Thanks, I have the final part 90% done, so I will post it soon, but I'm also doing midterms right now, and I already know I aced two of my exams.