* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Which is better, gold & silver, diamond & pearl or black & white?  (Read 11534 times)

Offline CptMugwash

• Beginning Trainer
  • Potato, potato, potato!
    • View Profile
I'm in a dilemma,
After looking at the pokemon from black and white I've come to the conclusion that they're pretty naff  :( Diamond and pearl don't look much better either and gold and silver, well after yellow/red/blue/green I never continued really, but I plan on getting a DS and a pokemon game, what I'm after is not just some decent pokemon but also play features, like what can you do on the games, can you play other people over the internet, not just wifi/infared? etc.

Thanks
Jack
Zombie pokemon ZOMG!

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
Re: Which is better, gold & silver, diamond & pearl or black & white?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 10:19:12 AM »
You can play through the internet as from Gen IV.

But it's really up to you, seeing that you judge pokemon on their appearance mainly...

For me, I prefer Platinum and closely followed up by SoulSilver.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline John Flame

• Good Trainer
  • Smite first,questions later
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 11:18:57 AM »
Believe,4th gen/5th gen balance some of their fugly pokés with some epic moves and fun stuff to do.

If you really can't be changed,try 3rd gen.
It's like a book...

"Introduction to weird pokémon:part 1"...

Offline Wire

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 11:28:42 AM »
I think gold and silver was the best.

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »
Heart Gold/Soul Silver Features:
- The first Pokémon in your party will walk behind you.
- Two seperate regions for you to explore so your game isn't finished after the elite four yet.
- AI reaches a maximum level of 80+ so you can train very well.
- Phone system with NPC's calling you when they got your number
- Apricorns to create special kinds of Pokéball.
- Sidequest the Ruins of Alph.
- Battle Frontier.
- Pokéthlon containing various minigames.
- Possibility to catch all Pokémon in combination with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
- Both legendaries Ho-oh and Lugia are catchable in both versions.

Diamond/Pearl/Platimum Features:
- Pokémon Contest with three seperate rounds. (Dressing up your pokémon, dance round, preformace round)
- Amity Square where you can walk with a pokémon behind you. (excluding all pokémon that aren't considered cute.)
- After the elite four the battle tower is available and the island the battle tower is located is also explorable.
- (platinum only) All legendaries available
- (platinum only) Girantina, shaymin, rotom have diffrent forms when holding a specific item.
- (platinum only) Battle frontier.

Black/White Features:
- Until you've beaten the elite four once, you will only find 5th gen Pokémon.
- Musical Theater (dress up your pokemon and let them dance.)
- Gymleaders have side jobs next to their job as gymleader.
- After defeating the elite four they get stronger and the champion is switched.
- Half of the world still needs to be explored after the elite four
- You have to find all sages after the elite four.
- Battle Subway instead of battle tower but now any pokemon will be level 50 it doesn't matter what level they are.

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline Hiteryan

• Music Composer
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • Oh gawd awesoem.
    • View Profile
    • Hitey's YouTube
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 01:33:09 PM »
Never played Black/White. Seems great in terms of looks and gameplay but the Pokémon on it (which I barely know) from what I've seen just totally put me off.

I'd say HeartGold/SoulSilver. Two regions to explore, Johto has an awesome feel to it, the game has by far the best music in the series, and if you've played Red/Blue/Yellow it'll feel nostalgic to you to explore Kanto, and also to be able to catch most Pokémon from Gen 1.
Pokémon Universe Music Composer Guy Dude Person!
Hiteryan on YouTube - Vimeo (I'm a filmmaker too!) - last.fm

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 04:19:13 PM »
Uh Ruby and Sapphire are the best of course, how dare you not put them on the list.

Offline Darkstar64

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • They said I could be anything, so I became a snake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 07:10:13 PM »
If I were you, I would get Gold or Silver. It'll last you the longest and the game is well made.

Offline CptMugwash

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »
Wow thanks for all the replies everyone.  It sounds like gold/silver are a good choice.  Ruby and Saphire what about them? what do they have?  And I didn't mind the 1st gen pokemon being like real animals as you could see them in rl.
Zombie pokemon ZOMG!

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »
Wow thanks for all the replies everyone.  It sounds like gold/silver are a good choice.  Ruby and Saphire what about them? what do they have?  And I didn't mind the 1st gen pokemon being like real animals as you could see them in rl.

Lets just say on my list of best pokemon games it goes like this:
1. Ruby/Sapphire
2. Black/White
3. Heartgold/Soulsilver
4. Diamond/pearl
5. Firered/leafgreen
6. Everything else

Now dont get me wrong the originals were good but they dont compare anymore to the remakes and new games. Why i like Ruby and Sapphire so much though is because the pokemon in it are my favorite and there is such diversity. The main reason i think i like it so much is because when it first came it was such a drastic improvement from the crappy graphics and gameplay of gold/silver that it blew my mind. When it came out i bought both games and spent 200+ hours getting the entire pokedex. I havent done that in another pokemon game since and i dont know why i havent. Anyway, most of my favorite pokemon come from that gen so it has always been my favorite in my eyes.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 08:52:02 PM »
What made me choose Platinum is the whole new features available and new useful items competitive wise and the new touch screen features. Well, of course there is Diamond/Pearl, but Platinum is just the notch above that. And add that to WiFi options, wireless battling/trading without any other gadget to buy separately, it will remain the best for me.

HG/SS come closer behind because it's simply the remake of GSC, with a whole new way to interact with your pokemon and items, and the new features of Safari Zone, the greater range of available starters, though not reaching to Platinum because of the lack of better ideas since then.

Also, Emerald forever better than Ruby or Sapphire ;)

The traditional Gold and Silver was cool, but the newer games beat it at graphics, and features. I think of Gold/Silver to actually not be that long, since the league itself was in the 40-50 and remained like that. Kanto after the league didn't take much time; there were less trainers, you already had powerful pokemon and the area was mostly cleared of Team Rocket from a certain Red.

Just my own ideas :)
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline CptMugwash

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 07:54:24 PM »
Hmm...
I'm still pretty undecided, ruby and saphire are remakes of red and blue aren't they, is the story and layout basically the same? and are they available on DS?
TBH I might just get White because I do like the looks of Zekrom, if I do get heavily into the whole pokemon scene again I'll probably buy the rest.  Also, is there a game that combines all pokemon and regions etc, like PU or is it just PU so far?

Cheers.
Zombie pokemon ZOMG!

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 08:13:09 PM »
No no, Ruby and Sapphire are completely different. And no they are not available on DS.

And no, there is no game like that, NOR PU since PU will be a whole new region.

As from Black and White though, the pokedex records all the existing pokemon up to now (so will PU encompass).

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
Hmm...
I'm still pretty undecided, ruby and saphire are remakes of red and blue aren't they, is the story and layout basically the same? and are they available on DS?
TBH I might just get White because I do like the looks of Zekrom, if I do get heavily into the whole pokemon scene again I'll probably buy the rest.  Also, is there a game that combines all pokemon and regions etc, like PU or is it just PU so far?

Cheers.

Hell no are Ruby/Sapphire remakes of red/blue. They are completely separate games. And its a GBA game so you can only play it on an old DS or an older model. But even better you dont need to buy it, google a pokemon Ruby emulator and you can play it for free on your computer.

But honestly if you're into pokemon just get them all. Its worth it. Get one from each generation to get a feel of them all. And no there isnt a game that combines all the regions, the closest is HG/SS that has Kanto and Johto.

EDIT: Haha looks like Jerry posted right before me and covered most of it.

Offline CptMugwash

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 10:09:55 PM »
Oh yeah I remember ruby and saphire, anyways thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to get White and see how I feel, thanks for the advice on those emulators, I'll give it a go.  Thanks very much!  :)

This thread can be locked now.
Zombie pokemon ZOMG!