* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: New Battlers Guide  (Read 4935 times)

Offline Shadowfred

• Gameplay Balancer/Pretty cool guy
  • PU Team
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
New Battlers Guide
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:49:03 AM »
Okay, it's been less than a day since the Balance Server started up, and I've been seeing an influx of people who have never used Pokemon Online, and likely never battled on a simulator before. So I'm making this thread to help new people avoid the mistakes I've been seeing so far.

- Use Pokemon on the Available Pokemon list. http://pokemon-universe.com/index.php/topic,3782.0.html

- This is kind of related to the first point, but don't use an unevolved version of a pokemon on the list, unless it is on the list too. So you can use electabuzz, as he is on the list, but don't go around using a haunter, or you will be putting yourself at a disadvantage.

- Make sure you know what your pokemon's items, abilities and moves do.

- If you're going to put two moves of the same elemental and attacking type on a pokemon, Ice Beam and Blizzard, for example, think very carefully about the reasoning behind this, as it's almost always better to have a move of another type.

If you have any more tips, feel free to post them below.

Offline Maestro

• Balance Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: New Battlers Guide
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »
- Be aware of your particular Pokemon's characteristics. Is it naturally defensive? Best put Defence EV's into it to sponge Physical hits from Pokemon with a high Attack Stat.

- Please, if your Pokemon has a much higher Sp. Attack stat than Attack stat, do not pick Physical moves for that Pokemon.  A Pokemon with a high base Special Attack should be used for attacking with Special moves, not Physical moves.  Conversely, attempt to stick with Physical moves if you have a Pokemon with a high base Attack stat.

- Avoid using moves such as Hyper Beam, Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant, Hydro Cannon etc.  Yes, they have a high base power, but the wasted turn on a recharge is not worth the extra 30-50 base power or so from similar strong moves such as Fire Blast or Hydro Pump.

- I will reiterate Shadowfred's message, ONLY USE POKEMON FROM THE AVAILABLE POKEMON LIST.

Offline Noah_Road

• Normal Trainer
  • I can imagine 6 impossible things before breakfast
    • View Profile
Re: New Battlers Guide
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »
I'm gonna add on to this.

-Unless they have been boosted or have some signifigant impact on your strategy, moves like Razor Leaf, Dragon Rage , Ember, Water Gun, Lick, and Iron Tail should not be used under any circumstances.

-Avoid using items like Shell Bell. While it may seem useful on paper, in truth you are not recovering as much HP as you would be if you were using Leftovers.

-When using an attack, remember basic type matchups. Do not use Outrage, a dragon type move, on a Metagross, a steel/psychic type pokemon as steel types resist dragon types.

-Remeber that Leech Seed does not affect grass types, Will-o-Wisp does not affect fire types, ground type moves do not affect pokemon with Levitate, and Sky Drop does not affect flying type pokemon.

-Before battling, make sure you know your team's limitations. Keep in mind what your individual pokemon can and can't outspeed, OHKO, or check.

-Once again reiterating what Freddy and Maestro have said, DO NOT USE POKEMON THAT ARE NOT ON THE AVAILABLE LIST. THIS MEANS DO NOT USE LEGENDARIES OF ANY KIND!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:55:54 PM by Noah_Road »

Psychic Power=Imagination+Dreams