* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Pokemon Channels  (Read 3646 times)

Offline Dkiddeh

• Beginning Trainer
  • Suicune <3
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Pokemon Channels
« on: December 05, 2011, 12:40:16 PM »
Good afternoon everyone,

i was just thinking about the game, and i didn't read or find anything about pokemon channels,
i'll explain. When this game is released, alot of people will probebly join this game, That also includes the fact there are alot of training in the PU world,  and to prevent a overloaded world, my idea is to create some "Channels or Worlds" where you can login. i don't know if there will be a option like this, but it would be nice so the channels will not be overloaded with trainers.

Like i said i don't know if such a feature will be there, just think out loud.
What do you guys think ?

With kind regards,
Dkiddeh

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Channels
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:46:19 PM »
One way is to have only the people you interact with display in the 'message box' and let the other things that others say be on screen.

Or have two tabs for the message box; one area/route/city based and the other specific to PMs and interaction, without the need for worlds.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 12:46:56 PM »
Indeed I once thought it would be nice to have such a feature, but if there would be Channels, then it should be that it is easy to transfer from one Channel to another. So basically there would be a Server and the Server has a few channels to prevent lag or overpopulation but would still allow a player to go to another channel (if the only capacity is not full). If that would happen I would be fine with it.
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Dkiddeh

• Beginning Trainer
  • Suicune <3
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:52:30 PM »
Well it's not only the messaging part, but also the vieuw of trainers, the idea genbor said, seems nice indeed, it's just to prevent the world of showing a huge amount of players, but what you are saying (@Jerry) is that it will only vieuw the people wich you are friends with ? or u mean a actual "Mini-chatbox" display?
If there is already such a system then i'm sorry for unneeded bringing this up.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 01:02:20 PM »
My second suggestion is this:

The minichat box will always be there and things that people say on the screen will get there.

In case there are too many people on there and you are speaking to a specific person you can click on a tab to have only that particular conversation.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 01:06:05 PM »
My second suggestion is this:

The minichat box will always be there and things that people say on the screen will get there.

In case there are too many people on there and you are speaking to a specific person you can click on a tab to have only that particular conversation.

Indeed I've had that in many MMORPGs, so it is also possible. Of course if there is something new that we haven't seen or tried before and could work well don't be afraid to suggest it. :)
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Dkiddeh

• Beginning Trainer
  • Suicune <3
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »
Ah alright, but the idea i had was not only for the chat, but also for the appearence of pokemon trainers, if you have for example 100.000 players, and in a city are like 100 of them, your screen would be full of trainers, so u cant see where u are walking and stuff, or are the other trainers not shown untill you fight with them ?

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »
Well, for my part, I don't think that 100 000 is realistic as of now :P As I told you in IRC, PU will be huge and I expect no more than 500 trainers at the extreme.

But yes, if that gets that huge, we will need other servers first (which isn't free).

Offline Dkiddeh

• Beginning Trainer
  • Suicune <3
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 02:00:40 PM »
yeah indeed you told me, but indeed a good idea to post it here as well, since everyone is up-to-date then! Thank you.

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 12:08:30 AM »
What you are talking about resembles different servers to me which if that is the case brings up a problem. If you are in fact talking about the servers that players log into, and not chat channels, then they already have a solution. So far they plan to have a European server and an American one, so different people from different areas can join their closest servers and not overload. However the problem is you cant have too many server without having a sever tax on the machine hosting them or paying money, so you cant have many "channels" as you say. As of now, the planned amount is 2 i believe.

Offline Dkiddeh

• Beginning Trainer
  • Suicune <3
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 12:26:02 AM »
yeah some people already told me it woudn't be a issue.