* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Mule characters (2nd chars)  (Read 10953 times)

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
  • I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.
    • View Profile
Mule characters (2nd chars)
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »
High level players in many MMOs will create second characters ("mules", from the animal that spends its whole life carrying stuff for its master). They have the sole purpose of circumventing 1-time quests and storage restrictions. This was brought up in the PokeNests topic, where it was suggested that mules may be used for farming, and I think this is a genuine concern.

Should people be limited to one account per IP? And if there are two or more people playing on the same IP, they have to apply for a second account on the forums? Or do you like the idea of allowing mules (you lazy bums)?
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Offline Kuhns

• Pixel Artist/ Part-Time Lurker
  • Normal Trainer
  • I'm (almost) back! And Sexier than ever! >:D
    • View Profile
Re: Mule characters (2nd chars)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 06:53:59 PM »
Should people be limited to one account per IP? And if there are two or more people playing on the same IP, they have to apply for a second account on the forums? Or do you like the idea of allowing mules (you lazy bums)?

This.

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
  • legenadaries are just too OP... just too OP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 06:55:37 PM »
i dont know if its essential to have alts. alts are used for: a)farming b)to storage c)to play with other classes...

a)farming:
because you are not limited to, f.e healing, or supporter, as player, you wont need an alt to 'farm things. you can just pick up offensive pokemons to do so.

b) to storage
i dont know if youre planning to limit your 'storage', wheater its the bank or your PC. if you do. you wuld need an alt. if the storage is unlimited. you wont.

c)to play with other 'classes/races'
there are no classes nor races. you can take the time to make different pokemon teams. but you wont need an alt to do so.

summary:
i dont think thats its needed. limit it to one char / account. and one account / mail.

"Call me Tom."

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 06:56:53 PM »
I think you should be able to crate more than 1 account per IP. you never know when a family shares a computer, and more than one person wants to play the game.

I just think you should only be able to log onto 1 account at a time from the same IP.

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 07:07:58 PM »
schindle: The whole point of limiting storage is to limit it. Why would we want people to be able to double their storage via artificial means (using mules?). btw mules are not the same as alts, the former is not for serious playing purposes, the latter is. There is no need for alts in PU, as you already said.

Phosphorous:

Should people be limited to one account per IP? And if there are two or more people playing on the same IP, they have to apply for a second account on the forums?
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 07:19:02 PM »

This.

Agreed.

you never know when a family shares a computer, and more than one person wants to play the game.

Putting in a harsh punishment to deter same IP traders wouldnt be a bad idea either.
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 07:23:23 PM »
basicly it is the same. how you play your alt is your thing.

This was brought up in the PokeNests topic, where it was suggested that mules may be used for farming, and I think this is a genuine concern.

as i said. no1 would make a mule to farm things... when you dont have professions! if you have, and every character can have 1, then you need 'mules' or 'alts' to be able to have all professions avaible.

and i dont get what you mean saying
The whole point of limiting storage is to limit it. Why would we want people to be able to double their storage via artificial means

sure it is? but why having mules if you dont need the extra storage?
"Call me Tom."

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 07:28:11 PM »
You aren't supposed to have more than one or two professions, or unlimited storage. The whole point is that you have to choose. If you want more storage, you will have to buy it at the storage facility, rather than just make a new character for free (which is essentially cheating).

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 07:37:16 PM »
ok.
so now i get your point.

supposing: you have bought all storage avaible. like [200] places. what then?
limiting to one profession: ehm. why? you dont want the player to explore the whole content? if you allow only one profession, and one character. that would be weirdo. unless you could relearn the profession. that would mean once you changed, you changed it completely. personly, i think that would really mess up everything.

supposing:
profession1: potionmaker.
profession2: greenpeace-berry-guy

so with an alt, i could have master-potions AND berries. without. only one thing. ok. if you want the game to be so. ok. let it be. then you have to trade with other players.
problem: inflation of prices. when 800 players are berry.guys and 200 are potionmaker, potions would become extremly high-priced. as well as: why giving an rival my extra strong berries? just to make money? nah...
"Call me Tom."

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 11:33:14 PM »
I think you should be able to crate more than 1 account per IP. you never know when a family shares a computer, and more than one person wants to play the game.

I just think you should only be able to log onto 1 account at a time from the same IP.

See, I have three computers, and my little brothers are going to want to play with me, so this creates somewhat of a problem. What of people with routers and other computers?

Offline Nando

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 12:15:09 AM »

This.

Agreed.

I'm with these two. I don't think mules are necessary.

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 12:18:43 AM »
That seems acceptable, as long as my little bro can play >.<

Offline boyben10

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
  • I m be gud artist now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 12:19:02 AM »

This.

Agreed.

I'm with these two. I don't think mules are necessary.

Yeah, I never really felt a need for mules in any of the games I've played.
I like slowpoke.

Offline ChaoticXSinZ

• WebDev
  • Contributor
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LuqmanRocks
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 12:04:20 AM »
But the thing is even if you're not supposed to have more than one profession, people are going to want to try out different professions.

I also think that only allowing one account per IP is a bit unreasonable. Most people have a dynamic IP which changes every once in awhile. Also it isn't hard to get the IP to change whenever I want. I can just restart my modem and it gets a new IP from my ISP. Imagine if someone made a character with one IP, eventually it changed and someone else got it now they can't make an account. I realize that that may very well never happen but it's a possibility...

So in short by using IP to enforce this will not work out so well.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:11:50 AM by ChaoticXSinZ »

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 12:57:17 AM »
Exactly, because me and my little brother are going to want to play, and we are both on the same IP meaning both of us wouldn't be able to have our own accounts, therefore causing problems. ???