* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: what is the future of pu?  (Read 6179 times)

Offline lildjremix

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
what is the future of pu?
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:36:14 AM »
so i have been patiently awaiting the release reading forums when i saw the low low traffic amount (mr.darks not even on!) and a wild thought appeared, if the game does not have a high traffic amount will it be shut down? or since its a freelance developer  game  will it just stay running?!? and on a side not will we ever be charged for membership or a higher grade account(such as runescape, dcuniverse, call of duty elite, etc...) ???
ii believe these words came from herman cain "i believe these words came from the Pokemon movie" see? even presidential candidates like it

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
Re: what is the future of pu?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:52:33 AM »
Well, I don't know about the "traffic" or how the development is going.  But, I'm fairly certain that the game will be free to play and there will be no paid extras.

Oh, and if you didn't know.  You can usually find the dev's on the IRC channel.  Which is Pokemon-Universe.

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
  • If I was a pie, I'd be a good pie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 08:08:49 AM »
Well, all games have down periods, and PU isn't even released yet. But to be honest,

1. If you read the "Summary" of the game, it's noted that PU will be free to play. This is likely to avoid conflict with Nintendo, if the game is non-profit it looks better for the developers. I'm not positive on the relations between the two but I remember numerous posts by staff clarifying that such conflicts are being/have been dealt with. Do I think there could be donator items? Well, I think there should be, as it can be done where one does not have to pay in order to enjoy the game.

2. Regardless if the forum is seeing less activity as of late, this is a Pokemon game. Even better, it's a highly anticipated Pokemon MMO. If and when the game is ready for some sort of release, the traffic will come herding in.

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 08:22:02 AM »
I agree with most of what you said.  Except for the donation items.  As you mentioned the reason they don't take money is to avoid conflict with nintendo.  Having donations would only increase the risk of such conflicts.  Making special items for members that donate would be risky.

Offline lildjremix

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:31:47 AM »
i agree also. but given a loophole the game could start free as do most but after a rise in popularity, nintendo could do something like issue a order saying they want a profit for use of alikeness. i just dont want anotherrunescape type ordeal
ii believe these words came from herman cain "i believe these words came from the Pokemon movie" see? even presidential candidates like it

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 08:38:21 AM »
Well like I said previously, we don't know the relationship between Nintendo and PU or if there is even much of one. Normally I'd think if all donations went towards paying for the server and hosting, everything would be fine and it would remain non-profit. On the contrary, PU will most likely grow very popular very fast. Given the fact that I don't know how Nintendo would react to that, it could bring about turmoil.

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 08:41:35 AM »
so i have been patiently awaiting the release reading forums when i saw the low low traffic amount (mr.darks not even on!)

Did you include all those that weren't signed in? Actually the number of people looking at the site is slowly increasing - they're just not logging in.

and a wild thought appeared, if the game does not have a high traffic amount will it be shut down? or since its a freelance developer  game  will it just stay running?!?

We are still operational. You can even see this by the development updates and Declans story updates.

will we ever be charged for membership or a higher grade account(such as runescape, dcuniverse, call of duty elite, etc...) ???

You will not be charged for anything.

also; Mr_Dark is currently on a vacation.
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline lildjremix

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:45:13 AM »
well put  kamaran thanks but referring to the possibility of turmoil early spoke of that could be changed by a simple lawsuit, also i know about the guests and stuff but im speaking in respects to the beta release what if say 600 people average  play it a month will they cut their losses and stop development on the game
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:02:37 AM by lildjremix »

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 09:39:20 AM »
[...] but referring to the possibility of turmoil early spoke of that could be changed by a simple lawsuit

We do not ask for money and we do not ask for donation. We develop this game in our free time and for the enjoyment itself.

also i know about the guests and stuff but im speaking in respects to the beta release what if say 600 people average  play it a month will they cut their losses and stop development on the game

You do not have to worry about the beta. It will be released sooner or later. Currently we have some tools we need to program finished first before we can continue on the map.

Declan and CortexJ are very busy making quests and lore for you guys to play.

Bryan and the other artists are also very busy working on making PU as awesome as possible.

Even YOU can help us by playing with our balanced Pokemon and give feedback.
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline lildjremix

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 10:24:01 AM »
lol that second part comes nowhere near the question :P what i mean is this :

the games released im playing thru its beastly self and so are another sum of people, but what if the sum of these people is tiny and keeps its little amount? will they keep fresh new things coming and going into the game or will it be abandoned and left for players that still play to do what ever they haven't done ?

Offline MyTh

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 10:35:19 AM »
Well it's free to play and they're making the game for fun, so I'd say the devs well update the game regardless.

Offline lildjremix

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 10:42:03 AM »
agreed. i hope so they seem to dedicated to let years of work just go to waste and im sure iy'll be funner than the work they do  to create the free fun XD

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »
I think PU could get really big when released, but we always have to remember to be greatful. No complaining about delays or bugs, because the developers are making it out of the fun and enjoyment :P No money to be made, and they take the risk of getting shut down, if not already handled. Just sayin', if I see any complainers, they gon' get slapped. ;D

Offline lildjremix

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 11:29:45 AM »
agreed this is pretty much a settled argument than lol i guess we should keep our hopes high keep faith and not cross nintendo  8)

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 11:58:57 AM »
The topic has been touched elsewhere. Please read our comments there.