* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: STOP SOPA/PIPA  (Read 50747 times)

Offline Aquashin

• Normal Trainer
  • Being a Airhead its a Bliss...what's a bliss?..
    • View Profile
Re: STOP SOPA/PIPA
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 11:19:53 PM »
i am not american but i say that these laws are worth the same as the crap i send down the toilet every day, less than nothing
Im a girl, not a guy... and pleasse call me Aqua , a Pachirisu lover^^

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
  • If I was a pie, I'd be a good pie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 11:21:37 PM »
Well lets be real here, in some shape or form, SOPA will be passed. Online piracy is illegal, and they're going to do something about it. We just need to hope its not this particular bill. Its not a work against stopping the act, its against changing it to be more reasonable.

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »
Sometimes my country saddens me.  I mean these bills are so wrong and so unconstitutional, that they just might pass.

If they do pass, I say we should vote to change the year from 2012 to 1984.  Cause it seems that Mr. Orwell from the grave is adding fresh ink to the page.

Offline RadioactiveLemon

• Beginning Trainer
  • I like the number six
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 11:29:30 PM »
They have taken down newgrounds. This has gone to far.
*insert creative signature here*

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 11:33:34 PM »
If they do pass, I say we should vote to change the year from 2012 to 1984.  Cause it seems that Mr. Orwell from the grave is adding fresh ink to the page.

Ahhhh! I see what you did there! But yes, I agree, did you watch any of it last month when Congress was deciding whether to pass it or not?

This would sum it up:

Offline Darkstar64

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • They said I could be anything, so I became a snake
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 11:34:28 PM »
I don't get the reference Bing, but I agree. And yes, internet piracy is a glaring issue, but they're going about it the wrong way, entirely. Try watching the video I posted earlier, it'll clarify things a little more.

They have taken down newgrounds. This has gone to far.

No, Newgrounds is probably just going dark, meaning they're shutting down for about a day to protest this bill. But if it passes, Newgrounds may be the first to go, next to the biggest video-sharing site on the web, Youtube.

So as has been said before, Do something, anything to try to stop this bill. Even if you don't live in America, just spread the news! Just telling people will drive them to take actions to stop this bill.

And if you DO live in america, write to your congressmen, call them, talk to them in person, even just sign a petition! Just do SOMETHING.

Offline shermana

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 11:52:14 PM »
They can't shut down youtube can they? wouldn't they just continue to take off videos that are illegal?

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 11:55:27 PM »
@Darkstar, The reference was to a book called 1984 written by George Orwell.  The book is a love story between a man and a woman under an extremely oppressive government.  It was meant to shock people into understanding that to much government control is a scary thing.

I'd link a wiki page about it but, it's blacked out.  So here is a cat playing the role of the US government.

EDIT: Yes Shermana they can and they will.  These bills will give them the right to shut down any site they view as "infringing".  Which could be anything.  Hell even facebook isn't safe.  It's very scary, and if passed it is a major step back for free speech.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:58:01 PM by Bing »

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 11:55:55 PM »
Well, there are millions of videos on YouTube, with an estimated 48 hours of content added every hour. It'd probably be easier to just shut it down entirely.

Offline shermana

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 12:00:14 AM »
yeah they would also shut down craigslist as well. Six US lawmakers have already said that they will not support this.

Offline NexosYourGayBestFriend96

• Normal Trainer
  • Reality's Exit . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »
Oh god.... The government is getting stupider by the second. If this goes through, the entire internet will collapse. Fan pics, fan vids, parodies, games, music, and anything else will be obliterated. This will lead to riots everywhere. I just hope the government isnt stupid enough to actualy approve the bill, otherwise the internet's chansey.
. . .

Offline Darkstar64

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • They said I could be anything, so I became a snake
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 12:53:37 AM »
Basically, the way they'll see Youtube is this:

"Well, Youtube. A couple of your videos infringe copyright laws, so instead of forcing you to remove the videos themselves, we'll just shut down you're whole website!"

That is literally what will happen if this bill is passed.

Now, from what I've heard, SOPA has recently been shelved indefinitely. That means that SOPA is gone, but not dead. And not just because of PIPA, but also because just because it's shelved doesn't mean the concept is gone. What it most likely means is that they'll probably try to sneak it into other bills, in smaller chunks. So what this means is there CAN and WILL be more bills like SOPA and PIPA.

Offline shermana

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 01:04:13 AM »
Why is PU worried? I thought we had permission from Nintnedo..? Or am i wrong. I'm just confused and am trying to understand this.

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 01:07:05 AM »
Well of course it will be, like I said, it's going to happen, its just a matter of how it happens and in what context. By the way, YouTube has a lot more than just a couple of videos that infringe copyright law. They already "attempt" to filter out the ones they can catch with their system, but its still not nearly enough to do anything. I mean, in terms of what SOPA is calling for, a little girl singing Lady Gaga songs would be breaking the law.

Offline Aquashin

• Normal Trainer
  • Being a Airhead its a Bliss...what's a bliss?..
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 01:11:46 AM »
I mean, in terms of what SOPA is calling for, a little girl singing Lady Gaga songs would be breaking the law.

and u think this is right? think of the people that work because of Youtube, they will be put out of a job because of this bill, u think its right for the goverment to block the internet that might lead to alot of unemployments?
Im a girl, not a guy... and pleasse call me Aqua , a Pachirisu lover^^