* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: STOP SOPA/PIPA  (Read 50719 times)

Offline shermana

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: STOP SOPA/PIPA
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 01:18:18 AM »
"The Obama Administration on Saturday took a stance on two pieces of anti-online piracy legislation moving through Congress — the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the House and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) in the Senate —- saying it would not support the bills as currently written, handing the biggest victory yet to a growing chorus of critics of the bills."
 I found that on the internet about the Obama Administration speaking out about the SOPA and PIPA. In the article is also states that the Obama Administration will not support something that reduces freedom of expression

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
  • If I was a pie, I'd be a good pie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 01:23:50 AM »
and u think this is right? think of the people that work because of Youtube, they will be put out of a job because of this bill, u think its right for the goverment to block the internet that might lead to alot of unemployments?

No. The entire context of my post was written against it. But thats what the original SOPA would do, essentially it could be twisted to let the big companies step on the little guys. But as shermana said above, things have changed. SOPA has been watered down a lot recently, but that doesn't mean its still not a threat.

Also, if you look on YouTube, two of the most watched videos for today are both stolen copyrighted material. One is even directly recorded off of someone's television... if you look at it from the perspective of someone's content that was stolen, I can see why they'd be mad. Even so, that bill was outrageously blunt.

Offline Aquashin

• Normal Trainer
  • Being a Airhead its a Bliss...what's a bliss?..
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 01:30:03 AM »
u know what i think? i think that they only passed this bill to takes our eyes off something else they are doing, so we dont find out about it
Im a girl, not a guy... and pleasse call me Aqua , a Pachirisu lover^^

Offline shermana

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 01:31:00 AM »
I believe Obama, along with his other people, are doing all that they can to minimize SOPA and make it less of a threat. The Obama aministration is totally against PIPA and will not let it be passed the way it is. PIPA is basically designed to not allow us use foreign websites that i think are copyrighted. Don't forget that in order for these bills to be passed, Obama has to agree and sign them a law. I believe that Obama is thinking kind of what we are thinking.

Offline shermana

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 01:31:59 AM »
u know what i think? i think that they only passed this bill to takes our eyes off something else they are doing, so we dont find out about it
Ehhhh, I doubt that.

Offline NexosYourGayBestFriend96

• Normal Trainer
  • Reality's Exit . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 01:34:59 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone has seen this yet or not.... but check this out. This is big.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrXyLrTRXso&feature=related
. . .

Offline Aquashin

• Normal Trainer
  • Being a Airhead its a Bliss...what's a bliss?..
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 01:45:03 AM »
Ehhhh, I doubt that.

u doubt it? you shouldnt, they do that all the time

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this yet or not.... but check this out. This is big.

uhm... Lugia... this as nothing to do with the SOPA....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:46:40 AM by shin21 »
Im a girl, not a guy... and pleasse call me Aqua , a Pachirisu lover^^

Offline shermana

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 01:48:41 AM »
yeah that's the scariest video i've seen in a while. That is basically saying that the Bill of Rights will be tarnished.

Offline Darkstar64

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • They said I could be anything, so I became a snake
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 01:50:46 AM »
and u think this is right? think of the people that work because of Youtube, they will be put out of a job because of this bill, u think its right for the goverment to block the internet that might lead to alot of unemployments?

No. The entire context of my post was written against it. But thats what the original SOPA would do, essentially it could be twisted to let the big companies step on the little guys. But as shermana said above, things have changed. SOPA has been watered down a lot recently, but that doesn't mean its still not a threat.

Also, if you look on YouTube, two of the most watched videos for today are both stolen copyrighted material. One is even directly recorded off of someone's television... if you look at it from the perspective of someone's content that was stolen, I can see why they'd be mad. Even so, that bill was outrageously blunt.

I believe I said that...

Ehhhh, I doubt that.

u doubt it? you shouldnt, they do that all the time

Yes, they do. But that's what PIPA is. PIPA is basically, just because I liked how it sounded, a watered-down version of SOPA, making it just as bad. What they figure is that americans are so stupid it'll go something like this:

"So, how do you feel about SOPA?"

"Hell no, that'll kill the internet!"

"Well, how about this bill?"

*Hands over PIPA*

"Huh. Not as bad. Sure."

They figure we're stupid enough to say something like this. PIPA is that second bill you're talking about, so don't even let your guard down for PIPA, because it's just as bad.

• Normal Trainer
  • Reality's Exit . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 01:55:24 AM »

uhm... Lugia... this as nothing to do with the SOPA....
[/quote]

Actualy Aqua, your wrong, in fact Sopa has quite a bit to do with it. The government is slowly taking away american rights. If SOPA goes through, then we will have no freedom at all on almost all websites. Anonymous also talk about the SOPA bill in a similar video, as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeEcoi8kEuU
. . .

Offline Darkstar64

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 01:59:24 AM »
Lugia's right. It seems that the ones running the country want us to just sit down and shut up as they take away our rights one at a time.

Offline St. Jimmy

• Normal Trainer
  • "I'm doing stuff, Hershel. Thaanggss."
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 02:00:39 AM »
Even if SOPA/PIPA is passed, it probably won't last for very long.  If it does get passed, there is no doubt that hundreds of thousands of people will gather and protest, likely more than the Occupy Movement. 

"When the your government shuts down the internet, shut down your government."

But this leads me to LugiaFan96's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrXyLrTRXso&feature=related
If the government is able to put people under military detainment without trial, then what will stop them from sending in the military to arrest the thousands of protesters who threaten to get in their way?
sup

Offline Darkstar64

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 02:02:24 AM »
Exactly. Nothing.

Just to change the subject briefly, I just went to youtube, and there are already 4 new videos on SOPA in my subscription box.

• Normal Trainer
  • Reality's Exit . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 02:07:24 AM »
I know it is scary to most people, but it is the simple truth: The government isn't as stupid as we think, they are taking our rights on purpose. Until I saw this video I thought they were simply being idiots and making mistakes, but that's only masking the actual situation. And this wont just affect America, but it will also effect other countries effected by the internet. Websites like facebook, twitter, IRC, youtube, newgrounds, and this website will be blocked from all americans, and from people from other countries. They are trying to take away our means of comunication, education, and entertainment. The internet. This is what I see the government is trying to tell us:

You have no rights, stay quiet, and do as we tell you.

Anonymous has helped me see this message, and if it happens, I will be willing to fight back against the government. The army is not enough to stop the country, and I bet quite a bit of the army itself will revolt. Afterall, if there are no citizens to protect: Who will they fight for?
. . .

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
  • If I was a pie, I'd be a good pie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 02:31:03 AM »
Now before Lugia goes on a revolt against the nation, listen up. The anonymous video is not the first of its kind, I've been seeing those for years. Its actually a shame that it took something real to be passed in order for some people to wake up. With that said, the bill mentioned is in violation of the Constitution, but was made so that to appease foreign policy. If someone from another country comes into the US and is suspected as a potential threat, the US has the right to arrest and hold them indefinitely without questions asked. In my opinion, the bill mentioned in the Anon video was just to include actual US citizens in that. Can you imagine why they'd want to do that? I can, but like many things, it can be twisted and misconstrued. It's not a good bill as far as context go, but I'm not totally convinced its some evil plot to abolish our freedom.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:34:14 AM by Tristan »