* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: STOP SOPA/PIPA  (Read 50738 times)

Offline Deion1

• Beginning Trainer
  • Why must I chase the cat
    • View Profile
Re: STOP SOPA/PIPA
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
O i read what actions ur taking and i really think they are pointless.

Offline Aquashin

• Normal Trainer
  • Being a Airhead its a Bliss...what's a bliss?..
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2012, 07:33:03 AM »
Deion, there is no arguing in this, the fact of this is that the goverment wants more money and its using internet block as a way to do that, but that also means the block of our freedom, if the bill is passed, almost every site in the world will be put down with this as excuse " It had copyright in it" even if it its a small little thing, they will block it, you think that is fair? to remove our freedom because of money?
Im a girl, not a guy... and pleasse call me Aqua , a Pachirisu lover^^

Offline Deion1

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2012, 07:35:42 AM »
Says the person who compared the internet to murder

Offline Aquashin

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2012, 07:42:13 AM »
well was i wrong? they sent FBI to close down Megaupload like it was a group of drugs, FBI should be more worryed about dangerous people than internet where no one gets hurt

Offline Deion1

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2012, 07:43:47 AM »
Ppl get hurt all the time cuz of the internet

Offline Aquashin

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
physicaly? do they literaly die? can you shoot someone through the monitor?

Seriously, stop talking back to the facts, we tell you facts that are true and you question us like you know everything in the world.

Offline Deion1

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2012, 07:52:25 AM »
The pen is mightier than the sword

Offline Darkstar64

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • They said I could be anything, so I became a snake
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2012, 09:02:12 AM »
Alright, I'm way too tired to explain this multiple times, so Deion, I want you to read this as many times as your brain can handle or until you understand, whichever comes last. And it's a long one, but you'd better read it.

This is a means of taking away everything we love from the internet. Video sharing services like Youtube, Social Networking like Facebook, and as ridiculous as it sounds, even non-profit organizations like Zeldathon. All of this because the government and the media industry want to kill off piracy, because piracy is losing them money. All the revenue they make from making their movies or songs, or all the money earned from taxes, all of that disappears because people are sharing files. But what they don't understand is that for the little money they lose to people pirating videos and songs, they're still gaining money from all the times someone goes on Facebook and says, "Just got 'X' Song, can't stop listening to it! XD" Yet they don't give two sh*ts because they want to get as much money as possible, but they think that the internet is COSTING them more money than it's making them. It's the U.S. Government thinking they control the world, and (I'm gonna go hit my head into a wall after saying this) the corporations thinking they can control your minds. Everything you know, no, everything you love about the internet is going to disappear...

And it's all cause some rich bastard want's a 16th yacht.

This is well put, because that's all this is. Corporations and the Government trying to suck every penny off of you because they want 'stuff'. Yet these bills will ruin not only the lives of those who live here in america, but also those who live ANYWHERE in the world. Most of today's online entertainment comes from america. Most of what you see on youtube (Depending on where you live, because it's different in some countries) is from people who live in america, and once it becomes shut down, that's a large chunk of people who lose their jobs, and an even bigger group of people who lose a large source of entertainment in their lives.

Sure, the internet has caused some problems, and even made bullying a lot easier (I should know, I used to get bullied all the time), but it's innovated people's lives to the extent that the benefits greatly...No IMMENSELY outweigh the downfalls. Not to mention that the BAD parts of the internet stay, because bullying doesn't infringe copyright laws. And if we do something about it, people WILL listen. And if they don't well let's just say "I hope the people in office remember what it's like not being rich." Because the Government's job is to GOVERN! Which is why it's called that. Our country had a Republic, meaning we invest power into a group of people with the hopes that they will use that power correctly. But if the Government isn't doing it's job, or listening to the people, we CAN do something about it. I mean, what's the point of giving your power to someone else if they abuse it? We can take it back, and give it to people who deserve it MORE than they do. And that's what they're afraid of, which is why people call their senators and send letters and go talk to them, which is why everyone on the internet is angry, which is why we ask people to do something.

And again, I'd like to return to another point. This is an attempt by corporations to try to control the internet like they have the music industry, the movie industry, radios, TV, advertising, EVERYTHING! Yet the interntet is something of it's own that they can't control, and they don't realize that.

So after reading all this, what should you do?

*ahem*

STOP BEING SUCH A PESSIMIST AND DO SOMETHING!

Because it's almost like telling someone that you WANT your life to be ruined.

Offline Hinagiku

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2012, 09:55:33 AM »
A article that goes into what the bills could do, probably a more realistic view:
http://venturebeat.com/2012/01/19/sopa-pipa-facts/?obref=obinsite

Please read it, but if not I can't make you.

The shutdown of sites won't be immediate, like everyone shouting "FIRE!" seems to think. However, I still despise the pieces of legislation and will be talking to my state's representatives.
Plus, megaupload is a bad example because it was violating laws already in place, even though they claim it was unintentionally... (I honestly don't believe them that much when they say that.)

SOPA and PIPA are way too easy for politicians and corporations to abuse, but... I guess my point was, if you shout things that aren't true and honestly think that it is...I think it'd be even MORE difficult to get politicians to listen to your opinion than it already is, because then they can say "but it doesn't do that at all!" and be (mostly) right. The legislation would allow horrible crap to snowball though.

By the way, anyone willing to chip in a fiver for the "Buy-Our-Legislators-Back-and-Show-Our-Reall-Envisionings" Fund? We can call it the BOLBASORE Fund.  ;)

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
  • If I was a pie, I'd be a good pie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »
Lol anonymous is so over-dramatic but its interesting because they actually do what they say they will. What happens if YouTube goes down though? What will be their means of communication then, showing up on the screens in Times Square? lol, but in all seriousness, don't let MegaUpload's demise effect the impact that the protests have made. Like I, as well as others, have said in previous posts, MegaUpload going down was just untimely, and can be compared to the fall of other file sharing services like Napster and LimeWire. We just need to keep doing what we're doing to make sure that if and when SOPA is passed, because it will be, that its in a form that doesn't ever-so-bluntly violate our rights.

Contact your representatives, seriously. One of the biggest problems we're facing is that the people deciding the bill's fate have no idea what they're talking about. They see stop online piracy and they think its a good thing, but then we come along and urgently attempt to stress how poorly the bill was written and it comes to their attention how serious it is. Most of those oldies have never even seen a Twitter or Facebook account I bet, so they're really in no place to decide the internet's fate. Its like someone said on YouTube, "it's like putting babies in charge of all the 747s in the world, they don't know what the hell they're doing".

So like I said, continue to sign any petition you find, contact your representative, do your part.

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »
Press release from the pirate bay about SOPA/PIPA
http://static.thepiratebay.org/legal/sopa.txt
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2012, 02:13:38 PM »
I gotta agree with them, most stories from the movie companies are based off tales written by writers from old times, did they pay for it? No. Pokémon is a rip-off from real animals, do we sue them for using animals to base their pocket monsters off? Nope. So I can call up alot more companies rip off and something claim as theirs.

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline Hiteryan

• Music Composer
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • Oh gawd awesoem.
    • View Profile
    • Hitey's YouTube
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2012, 04:00:57 PM »
Where's Jack Bauer when we need him.
Pokémon Universe Music Composer Guy Dude Person!
Hiteryan on YouTube - Vimeo (I'm a filmmaker too!) - last.fm

Offline Bryan

• Lead Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2012, 04:58:12 PM »
Press release from the pirate bay about SOPA/PIPA
http://static.thepiratebay.org/legal/sopa.txt

<3 Pirate Bay.

If you haven't read that small article Mr_Dark had posted. I suggest everyone do so. Very interesting read.
Deviant Art
Bryan-Mashaney
Check out the link above, for art updates on Pokemon Universe!

Contacts:
Email - [email protected]
Skype - Mashaney

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
  • If I was a pie, I'd be a good pie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2012, 09:24:17 PM »
We are relieved that Congress has recognized the serious damage the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) and the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) could cause to the Internet and are pleased that congressional leaders have decided not to move forward on these bills. We want to thank the millions of Facebook users who shared their views with us, with members of Congress, and with their friends and families on this important issue, and who changed the direction of this harmful legislation. We appreciate that lawmakers have listened to our community's concerns, and we stand ready to work with them on solutions to piracy and copyright infringement that will not chill free expression or threaten the economic growth and innovation the Internet provides.

Washington's Facebook, posted roughly 2 hours ago.