* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: I wish Gen 5's story was a bit more gray  (Read 4984 times)

Offline Chad29

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
I wish Gen 5's story was a bit more gray
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:09:30 PM »
It's interesting to see a group that wants to free pokemon, as it hangs a lampshade on the fact that many trainers just stuff a ton of pokemon in the PC to never or almost never be taken out. Some trainers just breed pokemon with each other so they can get pokemon with higher IVs just so they can fight better. there's a darker side to this that seems glossed over, but it seems to me that Plasma is still made out to be mostly evil due to the guy in charge wanting to do this for totally selfish reasons.

They don't even pretend Plasma isn't a bad group since early in the game grunts admit Ghestis is just trying to trick trainers with his speeches and the sages just want to forcefully separate pokemon from trainers. Then there's the possibly anvilicious dialogue about pokemon and people needing each other that's stated by characters that don't seem to give any thought that maybe some actions like capturing pokemon you don't intend to train might be wrong.

I just kind of wish this was explored more, and neither side was viewed as totally good or bad with the exception of N being a good guy thta was just manipulated by Ghestis.

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
  • If I was a pie, I'd be a good pie.
    • View Profile
Re: I wish Gen 5's story was a bit more gray
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:28:13 PM »
I agree, but let me just say, it's kind of interesting you said that it should've been more gray, because with games "Black" and "White" out, what is the third incarnation going to be called? Gray? Lol, but I agree, with a more "realistic" topic in play, they definitely didn't deliver it in the best way, but lets step back a second. Imagine if Pokemon were real, organizations like PETA would be all over it. Hell, the world would be a much nastier place considering the real evil that could be done with Pokemon. The issue you mentioned about Pokemon living in the computer with no hope of ever getting out, well, I guess that's pretty specific in solely the games. In the anime, the Pokemon that aren't traveling with the trainers are usually back at the lab getting taken care of. That even goes for Team Rocket and their HQ, so with that said, I think if the games were really to take a step into that sort of darker toned realism, it might get a little ridiculous. Ever see that fan-made trailer for "Apokelypse", yeah, the world would be something like that ;D.

Offline Chad29

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 01:58:55 AM »
I have seen that trailer actually. I didn't really remember that about the anime, since I haven't seen it in so long.

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
  • If I was a pie, I'd be a good pie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:25:14 AM »
I think B&W is probably a step in the right direction for Pokemon, despite the fact that I really didn't like many of the new Pokemon they added. But it was more story-driven, and seemingly less cookie cutter format like the rest have kind of been. GSC was good because it kept up with the continuity of RBY and added a new region and story to it. I'm a little biased though because Red and Blue and Team Rocket are always fun to see in the games in my opinion. SRE seemed like it was going out of the box because you now finally had a dad and the story was a little less typical, however the villainous team was pretty Team Rocket in different colors. Then there was Diamond and Pearl which, again, was the same cookie-cutter type thing and finally Black and White seems like it might be taking things a little differently. Of course, as you originally said, they ended up making the team evil in the end, when in reality they were fighting for Pokemon's rights, aside from the selfish dudes higher motives.

Offline Chad29

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 04:05:31 AM »
I do believe the series does get better with each generation. I like the idea of rotational battles, and there were a few interesting pokemon I'm glad they came up with. I've always thought they include way too many pokemon each gen, though obviously it's good to come up with some new ones.

Offline accursed1

• Beginning Trainer
  • I am the accursed one, I eat souls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 05:30:43 PM »
The thing that strikes me as funny is, Team Plasma claims that people are pretty much enslaving Pokemon by catching them, yet they have Pokemon of their own. Practice what you preach??

Offline Dragonfly

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »
The thing that strikes me as funny is, Team Plasma claims that people are pretty much enslaving Pokemon by catching them, yet they have Pokemon of their own. Practice what you preach??

Haha, hypocrites :P

Offline lubbies

• Normal Trainer
  • why is a torchic in water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 08:29:43 PM »
Shelmets and karrablast evolution is an &$%£ but one of my new fav pokemon is escavalier... took me like 20 cuz you know how it has to be a double battle, and they have to be hit by an electric attack, and they have to level up all in one battle its a mare... But it was worth it BIG time. Accelegor... meh
Grafics Cat <3

'If a stranger offers you drugs, say thank you because drugs are expensive.' - a wise man