* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Companions  (Read 4530 times)

Offline markusbolarkus

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
Companions
« on: February 01, 2012, 03:22:15 AM »
Just thought it'd be cool to have one or possible more npc companions for shenanigans and such. xp could be "shared" between pokemon, yours and theirs.

Offline Bryan

• Lead Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Companions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 03:29:40 AM »
Sorry, but that's a bit blunt. Could you possibly elaborate more on this idea? I understand NPC Companions, but not quite understanding the experience thing.
Deviant Art
Bryan-Mashaney
Check out the link above, for art updates on Pokemon Universe!

Contacts:
Email - [email protected]
Skype - Mashaney

Offline Aquashin

• Normal Trainer
  • Being a Airhead its a Bliss...what's a bliss?..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:37:37 AM »
If i can elaborate for what i understood by his ideia, i think he means that could be NPC companions for traveling, helping with Double Battles, the Exp gained through the battles could be shared between both their pokemon.

If i may say something, the Exp part would be a bad ideia, but... if the npc's pokemon level could rise or lower to the highest lvl pokemon the person has would be a better ideia, but Exp should be only to the person, not to the npc.
Im a girl, not a guy... and pleasse call me Aqua , a Pachirisu lover^^

Offline markusbolarkus

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 03:39:28 AM »
:) sure. "companionable" npcs would be posted around in towns and whatnot. you pick them up with a quick convo and go for a walk in a cave. they could participate in encountered battles. the total experience from the defeated pokemon would be split, giving your pokemon only some of the experience form the battle. the npc pokemon wouldnt have to level up, but i guess they could if They wanted them to. companions could be barred from gyms or gym battles. i think itd be pretty cool...

Offline Silver

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • Touhou Encyclopedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 06:57:33 AM »
I don't understand why you would want to do this, you would have to work twice as hard when grinding to achieve the same result. The only reason you might want to do this would be to go into an overlevelled area to try and catch something that you wouldn't be able to do by yourself.

But if the devs are doing their job properly, you wouldn't be able to go places like that anyway, so what exactly does this do to benefit the player?
The thrill in playing a game does not come from our chances of winning. It is the weight and pressure of losing that fuels our fascination. It is why people challenge, why they gamble and why they compete. The adrenaline that comes from defying defeat is what motivates us.

Offline Aquashin

• Normal Trainer
  • Being a Airhead its a Bliss...what's a bliss?..
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 06:59:03 AM »
I don't understand why you would want to do this, you would have to work twice as hard when grinding to achieve the same result. The only reason you might want to do this would be to go into an overlevelled area to try and catch something that you wouldn't be able to do by yourself.

But if the devs are doing their job properly, you wouldn't be able to go places like that anyway, so what exactly does this do to benefit the player?

thats why i suggested that the exp would not be divided
Im a girl, not a guy... and pleasse call me Aqua , a Pachirisu lover^^

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 04:04:07 PM »
This idea is pointless since there is going to be a party system. You will have human companions that would know what they're doing, instead of having to program somethings with an AI that is near difficult to get perfect. I'm going to leave this open so others can respond, or if another dev locks it.
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline lubbies

• Normal Trainer
  • why is a torchic in water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »
... Are you serious... Do you know what Pokemon are? Yes they come with you on your adventure. If that's not companionship then I don't know what is. This is not like fallout we're not killing anyone here are we? No. Plus I get it like cheryl in platinum who accompanies you through the forest helping you that's about it though.
Grafics Cat <3

'If a stranger offers you drugs, say thank you because drugs are expensive.' - a wise man

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 06:10:20 PM »
NPCs such Cheryl from Platinum will be in game. Since they are NPCs they won't gain experience of any kind because they will part of a quest line and therefor won't be with you forever.

/locked
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"