* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Choosing a character?  (Read 7531 times)

Offline MrSinister

• New Trainer
  • I'M NEW! BE NICE!
    • View Profile
Choosing a character?
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
Ok I read the Ultimate answer thread and saw there will be character customization, but I think a different idea, or something to be implemented on top of that original idea, would be choosing characters from the game. For instance:

Bug Catcher
Lass
Hiker
Super Nerd
Gamer
Team Rocket Grunt
Beauty
etc...

And based on who you pick, it changes your choice for starter pokemon. For Instance:

Choosing a Team Rocket Grunt
your 3 options for a starter are: Rattata, Zubat, & Ekans

Choosing Beauty
your 3 options for a starter: Oddish, Bellsprout, Nidoran (female)

Choosing Bird Keeper
3 starter options: Pidgey, Spearow, Farfetch'd

Swimmer
Starters: Tentacool, Horsea, Shellder

Hiker:
Starters: Geodude, Onix, Machop

and so on.

Who wants a bunch of Ash's running around the map? Not me.

Offline Swiush

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing a character?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:51:32 AM »
Actually like the idea.
Would be like a "class selection", but you would still be able to build a grass team even if you choose bug trainer, so maybe give some + points in different areas would force players to build teams that suited the class.

Offline Arctus

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:02:53 AM »
If you search around, you'll find topics like this, and just a forewarning, anything you get from me cannot be 100% guaranteed as i'm not part of the team, but the way i understand it,

The only starters in the game will be the Actual starters from the games minus Pikachu ( because he's not a regular starter)
 so no rattata's, pidgeys etc.
There will be character customization as you stated, to which extent i do not know,
And there will be Classes, such as breeder, etc

Hope i could help.

Offline FireDarkGuy

• Normal Trainer
  • Is this thing working?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »
minus Pikachu
and don't forget the cutest starter! EEVEE!
I LOVE CHARIZARD AND UMBREON!

Offline BlazingApollo

• Beginning Trainer
  • (-__-")
    • View Profile
    • BlazingApollo's Blog (In Indonesian)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 02:50:12 PM »
Who wants a bunch of Ash's running around the map? Not me.

Then, you're calling yourself Ash when playing the original Pokemon games ;)

Anyway, what Arctus said is simply enough. 15 starter pokemons from gen 1 to gen 5, no more. As for classes, well... I don't really know about this one (-__-")

Final Examination is coming faster than I thought D:

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 03:11:58 PM »
Another notice:
Mind that you read the features of the game before you post anything.
The features you are talking about are quite restricted compared to what we will offer.

- All possible starters are choosable at the beginning of the game.
- All pokémon will be catchable in the game.
- In case there are more starters you want, there is a trade/sell system.
- Create your own customizable trainer, Hair, Skin, Clothes and Accessories are available.

In other words: Your idea is mostly already implanted and even better than yours.
There will be no character choice, nope, even better, YOU CAN DECIDE FOR YOURSELF WHAT YOU WANT YOUR TRAINER TO LOOK LIKE YAAAAAAY!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:13:51 PM by Yukimenoko »

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline MrSinister

• New Trainer
  • I'M NEW! BE NICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 09:06:56 PM »
Another notice:
The features you are talking about are quite restricted compared to what we will offer.

- Create your own customizable trainer, Hair, Skin, Clothes and Accessories are available.

In other words: Your idea is mostly already implanted and even better than yours.
There will be no character choice, nope, even better, YOU CAN DECIDE FOR YOURSELF WHAT YOU WANT YOUR TRAINER TO LOOK LIKE YAAAAAAY!

Yeah, I get all that but disagree. I don't see how it's better.

First, I'm not suggesting all pokemon are uncatchable to Bug Catchers, etc
Second, I'm talking about having character sprites and a storyline based on them with different starters.

I just think my idea could be implemented on top of just being the stupid kid who starts every pokemon game, working for Professor Oak. I'm "suggesting" a character style alternative, like in World of Warcraft and starters based on that character to keep some continuity. And if programmers are adventurous, even an alternate storyline and starting location for the characters because it wouldn't make much scene for Oak to give a Team Rocket member a pokemon.

Team Rocket Grunts can start at Celedon city, where Giovanni offers you 3 poison type pokemon to choose from.

Pokemanics can start at Bill's house.

Blackbelts at the Fighting Dojo (offering a choice of 3 fighting pokemon)

Bug Catchers at the Viridian Forest

Swimmers at Misty's gym.

And if it's too hard to pick a place and 3 starting pokemon for a character sprite, dont offer it. Start out with just a few.

But I can think of plenty more alternatives beginning scenarios. But if it's set in stone, ignore the idea and close the topic. Just thought it was a cool idea.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:10:20 PM by MrSinister »

Offline lubbies

• Normal Trainer
  • why is a torchic in water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 09:29:32 PM »
The game is not set in any of the regions, instead they are making an entirely new region with different maps. I think making my own customizable character is better than a set char.
Grafics Cat <3

'If a stranger offers you drugs, say thank you because drugs are expensive.' - a wise man

Offline PkMn Trainer Black

• Good Trainer
  • Everyone's changing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 10:49:03 PM »
The game is not set in any of the regions, instead they are making an entirely new region with different maps. I think making my own customizable character is better than a set char.

True and agreed.

The way i see it, having a character set is for people who cant make up their minds about customization or is just lazy. But customizing a set character to your liking but still defines what you are, that may be a different story.
Even if one person steales waht you deserve, your reward will be even better than the last if you head down the right path.

Showdown Username: Shining Darkness

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 08:27:50 AM »
Another notice:

Second, I'm talking about having character sprites and a storyline based on them with different starters.

I just think my idea could be implemented on top of just being the stupid kid who starts every pokemon game, working for Professor Oak. I'm "suggesting" a character style alternative, like in World of Warcraft and starters based on that character to keep some continuity. And if programmers are adventurous, even an alternate storyline and starting location for the characters because it wouldn't make much scene for Oak to give a Team Rocket member a pokemon.

Team Rocket Grunts can start at Celedon city, where Giovanni offers you 3 poison type pokemon to choose from.

Swimmers at Misty's gym.

And if it's too hard to pick a place and 3 starting pokemon for a character sprite, dont offer it. Start out with just a few.

But I can think of plenty more alternatives beginning scenarios. But if it's set in stone, ignore the idea and close the topic. Just thought it was a cool idea.

Oh nonono it ain't hard, and the ideas you're having might be good, but you should come with LESS COMMON pokémon for starters otherwise people will never start with one certain class just because the starters in that class may be very common/weak like you came up with for Team Rocket. (Infinite zubats in caves). And I can see the bugcatcher getting quite impopular with most people if you offer caterpillar pokémon.
The main reason Nintendo went for specific starter pokémon of three basic types is to introduce new players to type advantage and disadvantage.

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 02:58:13 PM »

Swimmers at Misty's gym.

I stopped putting things in bold after a while, hope you forgive me. I'll just point a few things out:

First, you don't see how customizing your own character is better than what you said? Let me state this: Customizing is always better than having pre-mades. ALWAYS. If you don't want to spend a little time on making a unique character, then don't. You can just Randomize it. If you liked a sprite from the original games, guess what, you can customize your character for it to look similar.

There are different starters as it has already been stated. If you want to Role-Play something, go ahead and do it, nobody will stop you, but starters remain.

Nobody will go up to Professor Oak, so if you are bored of it, you are in luck. There will be no Professor Oak. Let him stay where he is, this is not PWO where everything is a copy. Everything is original, except the idea of Pokémon of course. So what does this mean to you? This means that you will be starting at a nice Island you have never seen before, where all Generation of Pokémon will be catchable, and since it's a completely new Island, there will be a completely new and unique storyline as well.

There will be no Team Rocket. If you want to know what will be in it's stead, feel free to search for the Factions on the Forums to know more. Declan_23 had a few updates regarding them.

Lastly, please by all means come up with new ideas, but before that, do your homework. That's all we ask. If you do that, I'm sure you will bring out some nice ideas in the future. I can at least commend you for going to more detail on your idea than what many New Trainers do. Keep up the good work, and remember: Search is your friend. :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:00:51 PM by genbor »
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Pubbles

• Beginning Trainer
  • "A Severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »
I think the point here is not specifically the "character sets" that are the focus of the post, but rather the fact that there are "alternate story-lines"  to go with them...

I don't think that will work with a Customized Character driven game, and the base story-line will be set in an already unique manner... Unique from the console games.

However, it might be possible and not require a crap-ton of extra, unnecessary, work to design some alternate stories or side stories for people who wish to customize their teams in specific ways... That could work, but again, that would still require some unintended work...

I've been writing RP story-lines for games (online and otherwise) for 13 years now, and the possibilities are enticing and inspiring. Yet I still think that the game should be left as pure as possible for now - perhaps save these things for later updates, to give people something new to work through and for, once they have already enjoyed the standard stories for a while...

I may be wrong, but I do believe this was a valid idea and I think that the examples given to ground the idea in something everyone could relate to seems to have overshadowed the idea here!

I know I haven't been around for a while, but I figured I'd chime in!
... ... ... Shh ... ... ... The walls have feet ... ... ...

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 11:05:28 AM »
(Presets = Characters from the game; Original = the usual character that can do and catch anything he wants)

The problem with alternate storylines, is that they are exactly what they sound like: alternate. They are a replacement to the original storyline of a game; an option for you to choose after you have completed the original.  This is mainly because you are wondering what you could have done differently, and go back redoing everything for the sake of satisfying your curiosity.

Another way of looking at it, would mean that the alternate storyline is still the original, but your choices lead you to go down on a path that differs from the usual. I would say if there will be alternate storylines implemented sometime in the future, they should be of this type. You can make your own choices in the dialogues, which will send you to different places than where you were headed originally, but you are still following the main storyline. The only difference is that now you don't start smashing a rock with a pickaxe for ore, but instead go to the market and buy it. This was just the simplest example I could come up with.

The problem with preset characters, is that you are forcing people to choose one or another, and in a game where the motto is "Gotta catch them all", that just doesn't work. You could have the option to choose between these Presets, or just go with the Original. The problem with Presets, is that you only have one choice and that choice is to follow the predetermined path you can take (meaning catchable Pokémon etc.). In comparison, with the Original, you can just play the way you want, meaning you can set your own rules and follow them. So if you want to be a Bug Catcher from the games, you customize your character to look like it, and only catch bug Pokémon, or howerver you imagine a Bug Catcher should behave.

Another reason why Presets shouldn't have their own starting place that differs from the Original one, is because unlike in WoW (just using the example you used) where your starting location is restricted because of your race, in PU you will only play as a human. Anyone can decide to be a Bug Catcher, from anywhere, there shouldn't be a set place which says, if you are a Bug Catcher, start here.

So finally, I am back at what I stated before: If you want to play something different, just role-play. Nobody will laugh at you, and many will join you if it's interesting enough. You can even ask a Game Master to help you with the RP, so that the whole experience becomes more like a programmed quest or the like. The possibilities are limitless this way. Hope that cleared it up :).
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!