Off-Topic Discussions > Other Chat

The name game: How your name says how attractive you are

(1/6) > >>

Tickles:
Alright you guys wondering why you can't find that one girl, even though you can do all the things right ton attract one. Have you ever considered your name can be a factor?

The answer: yes, it is a factor.

It turns out that women find some names more attractive over others. For instance, most woman find that a man with the name Ryan, or Micheal are highly attractive as it reflects success, while men named Paul, George, or Keith tend to project failure. The same goes for woman. Men find women with the names Sophie, Maria, and Lindsay for attractive than Helen, Anne, and Francine. Why? Your name is literally who you are, it defines you, and helps people call you out.

Your name alone will either be your best friend, or your worst enemy.

I read this, and thought "No, that would be too shallow, no one gets turned off by a name." Science says otherwise, don't believe me, write a list of the last 10 people you felt attracted to, then write a list of 10 people you would never consider dating. Only write the first name and leave personality out. Yes, it is another factor out of the many (Little fact, the bad boy concept is still around, known as the dark triad study, look it up), but for the sake of this one, stick to names. Take at your two lists and see if any similarities pop up, like a repeat name, or the lack/presence of the letter P, H, and O.

I for one am keeping my name, as I grown attached, but if you feel as though yours is hindering you, you can always get it changed.

(was going to put this in general chat, but decided to make a whole new topic. Plus, it gives you something to think about.)

Aquashin:
now thats insulting.... geez... i am a girl here...

Tickles:
I did say that the same goes for women somewhere in there, but it's more likely for women to go off a name than men. The study is known as The Name Experiment if you want to read more.

And the results are here

The higher the percentage, the better it is.

That is just a small list, and there are a lot more names. Sadly, my name doesn't even show up, which is why I told everyone to make a list.

CelaGhost:
They said 40 names were used so I think that's the whole list, which makes it a very short list. Plus there's no Winston on the list so it's total lackluster already.

Pubbles:
Oh, it's totally true.

There are names, once popular, that have fallen very far out of favor... Proof?

Create an image in your mind of a woman named Bertha.

She is probably not very tall, less than "attractive" and likely large...  (Note, I place "" over Attractive because the word and the meaning are subjective to the reader. There are far too many people with varying tastes to have an actual defined, and static meaning to the term, so if you are attracted to shorter, plump women, then please do not be offended.)

And for the girls/women out there, create an image in your mind of a man named Bruno.

He probably is tall, but wide, features much like a brawling bar patron, crooked nose, maybe a few scars.

It is truly normal, and you shouldn't feel judgmental (I always thought that was spelled with an e but google says no.) or mean.... It is simply how things have forced us to evolve and warp our way of thinking. There are those who break through the stigma and prejudice attached to their name, and many that look past a name... But all things considered, it is simply human nature to apply vast meaning to a name, including image.

A side note, most people fulfill the "destiny" of their name, it is mostly due to parents choosing names that are either connected through family ties, or project something they wish their child to become, mostly based on their heritage and place of origin...

Enough rambling for me... I chose my son's name based on meaning, and initials... Most families simply choose something popular or related through family, for instance, naming one's son after a grandfather.

Of course, we'd like to think ourselves above such seemingly petty antics when choosing a mate, but alas, we are victims to our human nature again!

=)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version