* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: A return to the online pokemon mmo development world.  (Read 2655 times)

Offline LordAdmiral

• New Trainer
  • I'M NEW! BE NICE!
    • View Profile
A return to the online pokemon mmo development world.
« on: June 29, 2012, 03:24:50 PM »
Hello all,

I am LordAdmiral, and I've decided to come check out the little setup you guys have going here. It looks pretty legit so far, and I'm excited to see where you guys manage to take your game.

I've got a little bit of history with online pokemon MMO's, do any of you remember Pokemon Global, and then following that PokeNet? Primarily known as one of the most successful online pokemon games to date, we made history by actually being shut down by Nintendo for how well we were doing. We even got a mention on IGN for the fact that we got shut down. Well, anyways, in regards to PokeNet, I was the lead Mapper for that game a long time ago, and stuck around for the attempts of a revival of the project under a different name and a new game style, but unfortunately that failed.

So, after a year or so of being on the down low from the online pokemon world, I've decided to return, and you guys were the group that piqued my interest. I'd love to help out in any form possible, and if you guys need a mapper in any shape or form (I don't pretend that I would be put in charge or anything, I don't exactly have time for that anyways) I can help out. I don't have any examples of my work on me at the moment, but all of my old work is on an internal hard drive back home that i'm going to be turning into a external hard drive at some point so I would be able to show some of my work.

However, I can list what I have done here:

Mapped about 50% of Hoenn and Sinnoh for PokeNet
Designed various custom maps as examples
Created a set of custom routes to connect johto through the ocean down to Cinnabar Island
Designed an Orange Islands region, including various maps for the Orange Islands. Unfortunately the project never finished since PokeNet was shut down.

When I get my hard drive up and running, I can give examples to whomever it is pertinent to show to if they wish.

In the mean time, would it be possible to take a look at the Map editor program you guys currently use so I can screw around with it and make something? I looked in the downloads section of your forum and the development section to see if I could find it but I didn't see it readily apparent.

-LordAdmiral

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
Re: A return to the online pokemon mmo development world.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »
Hello there LordAdmiral, welcome to pu ^^

Currently the mappers are set on standby and are awaiting the tiles that are being made. We're still short on pixelartists so the progress can be quite slow. However, if you're really interested in taking a job as mapper on our MMO you can open a thread in the 'Jobs' section. In your application you tell what you're capable of and show some of your works. If the admins are interested in you they will contact you in our Chat which can be found in the navigationbar on top of our website.

Concerning the map editor we once had a public one. However this one is removed from public and Zatir is busy editing the map editor and improving it to make it easier to create a map.

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »
Another thing to note is that we are making our own region, but like yuki said, if your work is good, the admins might contact you. My suggestion is to show the custom maps, and not clones of the towns from previous games. That's pretty much it.
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:01:44 PM »
Hello there LordAdmiral! Welcome to PU :)

Looking forward to seeing your works :)
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...