* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Evolutionary Elixir  (Read 23251 times)

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
Evolutionary Elixir
« on: September 24, 2012, 07:03:33 AM »
Evolutionary Elixir

My idea is a consumable item that changes the appearance of your pokemon permanently. This item could either be sold for a very high price in the pokemarts, won from events, rewards for quests or bought with some type of in-game point system(if there is one).

How it works:
The item gets used on a stage 3 pokemon. The stage 3 pokemon's appearance gets changed to the stage 2 pokemon of that evolutionary line. The item can be used again to change the appearance to the stage 1 evolution.

The item will only make pokemon look like other pokemon in its own evolutionary line. There will be NO Charizards looking like magikarps.

Unnamed 3rd stage pokemon will return to their 2nd stage name and unnamed 2nd stage pokemon will return to their 1st stage names when the item is used.

If you visit the Name Rater and change your pokemons name, the "( )" at the end will still appear no matter what you name it.

How to keep people from tricking others into thinking that have weak pokemon:
There is a trade off. In order to make your pokemon appear the way you want, you must deal with an extension on the name of your pokemon. such as if your pokemons name is
MightyMouse and was a Raichu, when the item is used on Raichu, its appearance becomes that of a Pikachu and it's names switches from MightyMouse to MightyMouse(Raichu).
The "( )" with the name of the actual pokemon keeps people from tricking others into thinking they have lower evolution pokemon.

Ex:
TrainerA would use the item on his Raichu named MightyMouse. MightyMouse would then change appearance to look like Pikachu and it's name would change too MightyMouse(Raichu)

The whole point of this is for people who prefer a pre evo pokemon over its fully evolved pokemon. I know that Haunter for example has lots of people who like it over Gengar.
I prefer Rhyhorn & Rhydon over Rhyperior.

EDIT:

Q&A

Q: Will the pokemon Keep it's typing of what it originally is or will it's typing change?
A: No the pokemon's type will not change. Only the appearance will change. This item is only cosmetic.

Q: Does all it change is the appearance?
A: Yes

Q: Does it interfere with the actual evolution?
A: No.

Q: Is there a way to change said Pokemon back other than using the item again?
A: There may be, there may not be. Thats up to the devs to decide.

Q: What if I don't know the typing of the pokemon in "( )" ?
A: Like in other games, I assume PU will have it to where you can hover over the pokemon and it will display the typing. This can be used to display the type on a pokemon effected by the Elixir so that it shows the type of the pokemon in "( )"

Q: If I used the elixir on my Charizard and then traded it to you, would the effect of the elixir continue or would the new owner have to purchase/receive one and then use it?
A: I would say then when the pokemon is traded, the effect would go away and the new owner would have to go and get their own elixir to use on their newly obtained pokemon.

Q: If someone used a elixir in they're charizard, would they have to use a second one to make it look like charmander, or would they're be a menu to choose what previous evo it looks like?
A: I think a pop up menu to choose which pre-evolution you want the pokemon to take the appearance of would be best.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:00:27 PM by Roloc »
Team Attack Coverage Calculator
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline nightshade06

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Evolutionary Elixir
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »
How would that work with type changes since there is a few pokemon whose type slightly changes in stage 3 ex...charizard is fire/flying isnt he? his preevolutions are only fire if I am not mistaken...
same with the nidoran femal and male both aquire ground on their final evo...So will they still have the same type also as their 3rd stage?

Offline Arctus

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:41:19 PM »
How would that work with type changes since there is a few pokemon whose type slightly changes in stage 3 ex...charizard is fire/flying isnt he? his preevolutions are only fire if I am not mistaken...
same with the nidoran femal and male both aquire ground on their final evo...So will they still have the same type also as their 3rd stage?

As far as i understand, and i was talking about it with Roloc earlier, the only thing that changes is the appearance. Stats, types, etc. all remain the same as the third evolution, but it just looks like its pre-evolution

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:48:54 PM »
Arctus is correct with his explanation of your question, nightshade06.

This is purely cosmetic. Stats/abilities/types/etc all remain unaffected.
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline Miss Wednesday

• The Pirate Lady
  • Balance Tester
  • Normal Trainer
  • Roloc's soulmate <3 C:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 01:18:29 PM »
I like it ._. Do it ._.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Offline Ursaring

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 01:19:14 PM »
I like this idea alot. I hope they make this happen!

Offline nightshade06

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 09:37:44 PM »
This actually is a fantastic idea then...but for some might make it a bit unrealistic lol example....a caterpie using confusion....But it is pokemon and none of it is real to begin with so yea anything is possible I guess. I want a charmander that can fly O.O lol

Offline NexosYourGayBestFriend96

• Normal Trainer
  • Reality's Exit . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 10:05:39 PM »
... *sees I'm the only one with a negative opinion* *slaps self with fish*

OK, this idea is cool and all, but it's just I don't see the point of it. The fact that it does absolutely nothing to the Pokemon, other then transforming it, is pretty pointless and confusing. I mean if it meant for an early evolution, it'd be cool and useful/overpowering, but it doesn't. And I also have a few questions of my own.

1. Does all it change is the appearance?

2. Does it interfere with the actual evolution? And if so, wouldn't that keep the Pokemon from getting any stronger? (EX: A Charmeleon turning into a fake Charizard but not being able to actually evolve afterwards.)

3. Is there a way to change said Pokemon back other than using the item again?

Normally I hate being the negative one, but I really needed to say this.
. . .

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 10:18:01 PM »

2. Does it interfere with the actual evolution? And if so, wouldn't that keep the Pokemon from getting any stronger? (EX: A Charmeleon turning into a fake Charizard but not being able to actually evolve afterwards.)

After reading your post, it looks like you didn't read all of mine. Some of the things you asked I have already answered.

1. Yes, as I said in my first post, it is purely cosmetic.

2. No it doesn't interfere with actual evolution.

3. There could be a way to undo it. There could not be a way. Thats up to the Devs.

OK, this idea is cool and all, but it's just I don't see the point of it. The fact that it does absolutely nothing to the Pokemon, other then transforming it, is pretty pointless and confusing.
The whole point of this is for people who prefer a pre evo pokemon over its fully evolved pokemon.
Damage Calculator

• Normal Trainer
  • Reality's Exit . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 10:24:12 PM »

After reading your post, it looks like you didn't read all of mine. Some of the things you asked I have already answered.

1. Yes, as I said in my first post, it is purely cosmetic.

2. No it doesn't interfere with actual evolution.

3. There could be a way to undo it. There could not be a way. Thats up to the Devs.

OK, this idea is cool and all, but it's just I don't see the point of it. The fact that it does absolutely nothing to the Pokemon, other then transforming it, is pretty pointless and confusing.
The whole point of this is for people who prefer a pre evo pokemon over its fully evolved pokemon.
ohmygodagiantrock!
Yeah, my bad, Sometimes I miss a few details on threads like this. And now that I have, this idea seems alot cooler to me, can't wait to see what happens with this idea!  :D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:11:31 PM by 9Nexalas6 »
. . .

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 10:30:04 PM »
I welcome all the questions cause it lets me cover some things I may have missed in the first post.

I updated the first post with a Q&A to help with this. I will add more as I get more questions.
Damage Calculator

Offline Darkstar64

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • They said I could be anything, so I became a snake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 12:08:33 AM »
Alright, now I'M the only one with a negative outlook on this...

I still think the idea is somewhat unfair. The whole idea of evolution is that you can either evolve and become more powerful, or not evolve and stay 'cute', and you have to choose between the two. It doesn't seem fair to have the ability to have both.

• Normal Trainer
  • Reality's Exit . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 12:18:24 AM »

I still think the idea is somewhat unfair. The whole idea of evolution is that you can either evolve and become more powerful, or not evolve and stay 'cute', and you have to choose between the two. It doesn't seem fair to have the ability to have both.

* relieved sigh* Thought I was alone for a minute there...
. . .

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 01:14:25 AM »

There are plenty of pokemon that are still cute when fully evolved so I don't see where you have to choose power over cuteness. Gardevoir and Milotic just to name two right off the top of my head.

The idea is for people to be able to use their favorite pokemon without being hindered greatly for it. Since the balance team is only going to balance fully evolved pokemon this adds even more leniency to people being able to use their favorites.
Damage Calculator

Offline Ursaring

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 01:17:52 AM »

Unfair? To who might I ask? Why should someone have to choose between having a powerful pokemon ,or being useless but "cute". If someone wants to use butterfree dressed up as caterpie then why not? Oh yes the caterpie might consider it unfair we don't want that  :'(
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:20:47 AM by Ursaring »