* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Sweet scent  (Read 11787 times)

Offline nightshade06

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Sweet scent
« on: February 14, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »
I have been wondering this for quite sometime... I have looked and I didn't see a topic on this...directly.

What in the world is the point of sweet scent? Sure it attracts pokemon. But running around in the grass does too. Does it increase the chance of a certain thing? I don't get what is the purpose behind it other than you don't feel like running around in the grass and you just wanna stand in place and make the pokemon come to you. Which in reality is actually more work than just running around in the grass. O.o

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet scent
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 06:01:24 PM »
There isn't a point really. Just a place filler.
Team Attack Coverage Calculator
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline nightshade06

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 06:08:26 PM »
Oh... I was always wondering lol xD

Offline haurowned

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 12:31:07 AM »
Well Sweet Sent I have used it in the past in the safari zone to try to have as many encounters as possible in a certain amount of time and it was some what effective. Also if you have a repel on and you come to a part of grass that you think there might be a Pokemon in it you want to encounter you can use Sweet Sent and it will work instead of running around waiting for the repel to wear off. In battle i guess you can use it as many times as you can till you sacrifice your Pokemon but decrease the opponents Pokemon's evasion making it easy-er to hit for the next Pokemon you send out for example the next Pokemon you send out could be Excadrill who uses Horn Drill to 1 hit kill it and would have a higher chance to succeed the hit because of the previous Sweet Sent. Its a possible and risky tactic to take out a really tuff Pokemon, maybe one that is really tanky or heals all the time. This tactic is something I sometimes resort to in a battle that looks like I am going to loose, taking out the opponents strongest Pokemon. Sometime's this tactic can really turn a battle around.

ps: in this tactic Sweet Sent can be replaced by X Accuracy but waists a turn on the next Pokemon or you can just hope Horn Drill hits without other factors but the chances are slim 30%.

I hope this helps shed some light on Sweet Sent
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:07:58 AM by haurowned »

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 01:09:05 AM »
Even the tactic you mentioned above is just strongly strongly outclassed by moves that raise the users accuracy rather then lower the opponents evasiveness. This way the pokemon with the higher accuracy can continue to sweep even after the opposing pokemon dies.

In short, Sweet Scent is a wasted move.
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline The-Blades-slave

• Balance Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • I heed the command of the blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 01:14:11 AM »
You could do what someone I know did: buy a bunch of X speed/accuracy and just use that...

Daylin: 35/100

Offline haurowned

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 03:03:10 AM »
The only problem with x speed and x accuracy is you can only use them on the Pokemon when they are on the battle field and Pokemon's with Horn drill don't really learn accuracy boost moves. So maybe Sweet Sent sacrifice previous Pokemon is an option to counter that problem. I prefer sacrificing a Pokemon with Sweet Sent so when the Pokemon with Horn Drill Comes out its ready to use Horn Drill immediately. Every Sweet Sent brings up the chances of hitting that Pokemon by 10% and the sacrificed Pokemon should be able to do it 2 or 3 times before they die hopefully for a total of 30% more chances to hit. In the end it all comes down to the situation of the opponents Pokemon if your Horn Drill Pokemon is week to the Pokemon it is facing then Sweet sent should be used (to use Horn Drill immediately as the Horn Drill Pokemon comes out) and if the Horn Drill Pokemon can take a couple hits from the opponent then its fine to use x accuracy by all means it does bring up accuracy much more then Sweet Sent but if it comes down to giving the opponent Pokemon the chance to kill you before you can Horn Drill, all I am stating is Sweet sent is not a wasted move/filler it does have its uses if used appropriately.       
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:55:55 AM by haurowned »

Offline The-Blades-slave

• Balance Tester
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 04:20:31 AM »
If we are using Excadrill as an example, he gets hone claws.

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 05:12:38 AM »
all I am stating is Sweet sent is not a wasted move/filler it does have its uses if used appropriately.     

It is still useless. Accuracy increasing moves + baton pass is still a far Superior combo. Use an accuracy boosting move say...4 times then baton pass it to excadrill. Excadrill can then sweep the entire opponents team with it's new found accuracy. Where as if you used Sweet Scent it would have only worked for that one pokemon.
Damage Calculator

Offline haurowned

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 06:31:37 AM »
I think this topic has gotten a little out of control, i originally was just stating something that i have done and it was working for me even though there are maybe better options it is still an option that was working when i was in a pinch, dint think i would of gotten criticized and attacked so much for it. Its cool that you state your idea's and all but you don't need to bash my tactic that i used before and keep saying that it is useless when it is not, i was just portraying to this topic on sweet sent and sharing my knowledge. I was just sharing something that worked for me and this guy comes in and keeps saying its useless well maybe he should test it out for himself before coming in bashing in like a mad man. OK maybe there are better options but some of them are not available for every one i was just sharing something that worked for me.... wasn't this wall for discussion of Sweet Sent? not really for coming in and bashing for others when you have never tried it for yourself and have no true idea if it really works or not. I have and it worked for me that's it that's all. .... people and there self ego...

I think if people have something to share that works they should share it because at different stage's of the game you got to work with what you got even if its not the best. It is good for people to know different options because the more options people know the more they can work with at different stages..... have an open mind........Just seeking the truth.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:06:29 AM by haurowned »

Offline The-Blades-slave

• Balance Tester
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 07:30:48 AM »
Okay, stepping in. Roloc just stated what he thought was better and backed it up with fact. There was no attacking/bashing involved.

Offline haurowned

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 03:07:51 PM »
I feel like he could of stated what he said in a more mannerable way like example

1. yah you can also use this different way that is more effective but requests different things = positive way to argue (shows difrent view points in a way that does not bring down the other)

2. Still way outclassed by bla bla bla your way is useless bla bla = Negative way to argue (makes it sound like i need to defend my self because makes what i posted sound like it doesn't work)

and yes i feel that every time he said it was (use less) that it was directly bashing/ putting down my post. when all i intended to do was relate to this post, just showing what i did with sweet sent and worked.

the Code for hitting chance in the DS is (Pokemon attack accuracy) + (Pokemon stat accuracy over Evasiveness) making sweet sent just as strong as double team but working in the other direction, making the same chances of missing when a opponent uses double team but Sweet sent increases your hitting chances by that, which is more then people think. All i am saying is Sweet Sent is not Useless if used in the right fashion.   
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:30:18 PM by haurowned »

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »
I never attacked you.
I wasn't bashing you.
I never said your way was useless, I said sweet scent was useless.
I never said what you did didn't work. I just said there is a better way and told you what it was.
None of the posts I made have anything to do with self ego so I don't know what you even mean by that.

I simply did as Blades has already stated. If you wish to continue saying I was bashing you then feel free to send me a PM. This thread is being locked to prevent further arguments.
Damage Calculator