* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: [quest] Restaurant Recovery  (Read 8512 times)

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
[quest] Restaurant Recovery
« on: February 24, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »
Ok, so I've been feeling like I have been cheating everyone by not giving you any hints at what I'm doing with the team.

For those who don't know, I am the Story Writer for PU, I write stories/quests, and NPC dialog and such. Now, just because I'm posting this here doesn't mean that this quest is guaranteed to be in the game exactly as it is written here, or even at all (but there is probably a better chance).

So anyway, here is a quest I just cooked up, unfortunately for you guys, parts of this will have [...] to indicate I cut something out. ...you know, for spoilers, I can't give everything away. Also, a note to team members, please feel free, to cut things and put that in its place if you see something you don't think should be revealed.

Also, I recognize, that I like to write (what do you expect from a story writer), and so this quest is a little long, over 3 pages (in its entirety) in Microsoft Word to be exact, so for your benefit, there will be a tl;dr (too long; didn't read) version, for those of you that just what a simplified summary. However, it is currently 4:00 in the morning, and my vision is starting to go, so I will write that later. You will be able to find the summarized version in the post after this one.

This quest starts out in a restaurant similar to the ones that have appeared in recent games. Inside are patrons sitting at tables eating; some of the customers will battle you, either solo, or duel. Some of the customers will just speak with you; one of the things some of the customers would say is that they wish they could get some of the chef’s special, but he doesn’t seem to be making any, and that even if he was, they wouldn’t be able to afford it. At the back of the restaurant you can approach a counter (where other NPC trainers could be sitting at bar stools), and speak with an employee.

The employee would be able to sell you different foods, or drinks that boost a little bit of HP.

There would also be doors that lead to the kitchen, but would have a man standing beside them that would refuse you entry. After you purchase enough products from the restaurant, you would be allowed to pass into the kitchen in order to: “thank the chef”. Speaking with the chef he would mention that many of the required ingredients for his special keep getting stolen from him, and he requires a strong trainer to go locate his ingredients. In order to initiate the quest from this point, you must have also defeated all of the customers in the dining area.

Once you meet the requirements for the quest, the chef will speak of a gang of Meowths, and other felines that have been stealing his ingredients, and request that you locate their base and return what rightly belongs to him. He also promises to reward you, of course.

(oh, did I forget to mention that there are a bunch of Meowth’s and Skitty, and Glameow running around town?)
The next part of the quest is left primarily to exploration (although, I would expect people to help their friends get through it, or for players to go onto wiki walkthroughs, or for NPC’s to give you subtle hints). Outside of town, [...] you will find several pokemon, with an emphasis on Meowth, Skitty, and Glameow, and as you get closer to the end, their evolutions begin to appear in increasing numbers as well.

Finally you come upon a room filled with boxes, some of which are opened, but the majority are closed. In the center of the room, on a raised, stone platform, is a Persian, guarded by two Zangoose. Approach the stone platform, and climb the stairs, and you will initiate a fight with the two zangoose (who are of course high levelled). After defeating the two guards, you will be able to walk a little foreword and fight a very strong Persian. If the trainer is successful in defeating this Persian, [...] you also get a “restaurant package” in your loot.

Take the “restaurant package” back to the restaurant and return it to the chef. The chef will then proceed to reward you with a small bit of money, experience, and a free “chef special”, which is basically another heal item.

After you have completed the quest, you can always go back and talk to the chef again, who will still mention how he is missing a lot of his ingredients. You can of course, still go into the cat caves (heh heh, “cat cave”), and make your way down to the room with all the boxes,[...] but you can still receive a “restaurant package” upon victory. You can perform this process as many times as you see fit to earn a free “chef special”, but you will not receive the other rewards for repeating this quest.

Oh yeah, and in case you were wondering about those patrons who couldn’t afford the “chef special”, I haven’t forgotten about them. When you return to the restaurant you will have the option to speak with these patrons, and give them the “chef special” instead. If you choose to follow this path, the patrons will tell you that they don’t have any money to give you, but for your graciousness, they will give you a key card to their base.

Great, now for part two of the quest. If you go to one of the towers in town, you will be able to use the key card you got from the restaurant to enter a room past the lobby and begin your ascent. Inside, you will find a [...]

You may now [...] as you climb the levels of the building you will find more and more NPC’s that will attack you. The majority of the pokemon in this building are: Growlith, Snubbull, Houndour, and Poochyena. Not all of the pokemon in this building have trainers, some of them are wild and roaming the building on their own (random battles). As you climb the building and get closer to the top, the ratio of dog type pokemon to other pokemon will become increasingly one sided (toward the canine), also, those pokemon’s evolutions will begin to appear.

When you finally reach the top level, which looks like a corporate boss’ office, you will see two Seviper, who upon approaching will initiate a battle with you. After successfully defeating the two Seviper, [...], and be able to freely walk into the office. Inside the office is a man standing beside a desk.

Speak with the man at the desk and he will tell you that some time ago, his corporation had managed to get their hands on[...] After the boss’ Granbull was attacked by a Persian in town,[...] but that he is not sure the boss’ decision was a good one, since [...] The man has no more information, but he can’t help but think that all that has happened is a good indication that they had done something wrong. He claims he tried to tell this to his boss, but his boss wouldn’t listen, but suspects that you must be here to try and stop him. Finally he states that he would like to help you battle the boss, but he has no pokemon so you will have to do it by yourself.

Fortunately, that is purely for back story, and to try to explain what is going on. It is not necessary for you to speak with this man, that way people can just go on to the final part, if they would rather skip all the dialog.

There is also another door in the room that opens with the use of [...] When you enter the last room (it looks like a [...] filled with balls of yarn, and other possessions from the cat cave), you will see a man standing at the back. This last man will fight you with his strong Grunbull, as he states that his other pokemon are unfortunately too weak from a previous fight to battle. Defeat his Grunbull, and he will state that had your break in been your only offense, he would give you a chance to leave, but since you also [...] he is going to have to teach you a lesson. He will then go on to state that he once had a [...]using [...] and instructions from a friend from a distant region, he [...]

Initiate your battle with [...] when the fight is over, instead of defeating it, it resorts to alternative measures. When you have brought [...] health down low enough, the man will suddenly figure out how you [...] finish the event off by teleporting you out of the building.

So, ...no reward for that one, ...well... other than the great experience you would get from going through all the levels, and maybe the occasional item you might find.

If you choose to re-enter the building, you may do so [...], but you will not be able to get back into the final room, as the door will be locked, and you will have[...]

Anyway............

The End
...Or is it?

Please comment, suggest, constructively criticize, etc. I would love (and kind of live on) your feedback.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:10:51 PM by spirit »

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
Re: [quest]
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:34:59 PM »
will write the tl;dr tomorrow!

spirit (A.K.A. Spirit42) needs his beauty sleep! It's true! "beauty" sleep! What? Don't believe me? here, take a look:

http://pokemon-universe.com/index.php/topic,228.0.html
http://pokemon-universe.com/index.php/topic,228.msg5271.html#msg5271

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
Re: [quest] Restaurant Recovery
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 06:07:36 PM »
Ahh, I am so glad I waited, this sounds awesome and I can get a houndour in the process, can't wait!

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 08:15:02 PM »
Sorry, this time, I'm running out of time. I'll make it a must to read it tomorrow, promise! :)

Ok, reading time over!

I found the quest very interesting, especially found the 'multi-part' side of it.

The only thing strange that I find is that you get to fight 2 Sevipers in the room of the first man in the tower. I mean, are they wild? Are they those of that man? It's strange that he doesn't do nothing but let those Sevipers attack you like that.

So, the 'bad boss' at the top of the tower found another way to 'continue' his 'bad things'? Perhaps you could encounter him again some time later on, with higher levelled Granbull?

EDIT: Oh, i just found your post down there... I didn't intend to post everywhere only to increase my post count, but to voice out my opinions where required.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:17:40 AM by Jerry »
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:44:36 PM »
Sorry, this time, I'm running out of time. I'll make it a must to read it tomorrow, promise! :)

Stupid Jerry posting on every topic thread! I expect good feedback from you, my friend!

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 11:09:01 PM »
I'd like to ask two questions:

1. What happens if you use the nommable item and don't get the card key? Should it be un-nommable?
2. Are there any possible rewards that could be given for the end of Part 2? Will the experience be worth the effort? I'll read it again. The man could in theory drop some balls, an evolution stone, etc.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:49:26 PM by Level5Pidgey »
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 06:37:57 PM »

Ok, reading time over!

I found the quest very interesting, especially found the 'multi-part' side of it.

The only thing strange that I find is that you get to fight 2 Sevipers in the room of the first man in the tower. I mean, are they wild? Are they those of that man? It's strange that he doesn't do nothing but let those Sevipers attack you like that.

So, the 'bad boss' at the top of the tower found another way to 'continue' his 'bad things'? Perhaps you could encounter him again some time later on, with higher levelled Granbull?

EDIT: Oh, i just found your post down there... I didn't intend to post everywhere only to increase my post count, but to voice out my opinions where required.

Yes, I was thinking the Seviper would be wild, but assumed to be some sort of guardian, although I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to explain that in any more detail.

And I don't wan't to talk too much about what happened with the "bad boss" or what happens after this story, I have several ideas for continuations for this story, that may or may not include him; besides, did you not notice some of the [...]? you have no idea what happened to him.

Also, I know you're not just doing it for the post count, I'm just teasing you.

1. What happens if you use the nommable item and don't get the card key? Should it be un-nommable?
2. Are there any possible rewards that could be given for the end of Part 2? Will the experience be worth the effort? I'll read it again. The man could in theory drop some balls, an evolution stone, etc.

1. "nommable"? Do you mean food? Like the ingredients for the "chef special"? I'm going to assume that you do. It is just ingredients, it cannot be used by yourself. When you get it, you have two choices with what to do with it. One option is to give it to the chef, the other is to give it to the "poor people". You are also able to go into the caves and get one more as many times as you like.

...Wait....Do you mean, "what if you get the chef special, and instead of using it to heal pokemon, give it to one of the poor people?"? If that's what you're saying than you might want to learn English, but it is a good point.

hmmmm.......hmmmm.......I guess the best solution would be to grant the player the ability to give the fully prepared meal to the poor guy, and remove the ability to give him the ingredients.

How about that? Is that better? Does that make any more sense?

2. Arrg, if you're trying to prod and find out more about the hidden parts of the quest, you're really asking the right question. Ummm, I need to be careful with my words. I did say (i think) that some items should be able to be found closer to the end of the building, but I don't really think a reward would make much sense, trust me.

Offline PokeBlue358

• Beginning Trainer
  • Pikachu, I choose.... Oh. I see your upset.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 10:56:04 PM »
I like it. But i think you should have the two seviper be owned by the man in the office, and have him say something like,

"I'm sorry. i've been having problems in my life lately, and i thought you were someone who was going to make it even more miserable. Anyway, i'm terribly sorry."

then have him explain what his problem is. then a choice box pops up and says,

Help the poor guy out!
Let the guy solve his own problems!

and then, if you say help him, he'll say,

"What's that? you want to help me?"

and if you say no, he'll say,

"Huh? You have something you need to take care of? well, I'll let you do that."

And if you do say don't help, you have the option of coming back and saying that you'll help him.

But all in all, i liked it.
With my pumped up Pokemanz, I can't lose!!!

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 12:41:27 AM »

1. "nommable"? Do you mean food? Like the ingredients for the "chef special"? I'm going to assume that you do. It is just ingredients, it cannot be used by yourself. When you get it, you have two choices with what to do with it. One option is to give it to the chef, the other is to give it to the "poor people". You are also able to go into the caves and get one more as many times as you like.

...Wait....Do you mean, "what if you get the chef special, and instead of using it to heal pokemon, give it to one of the poor people?"? If that's what you're saying than you might want to learn English, but it is a good point.

hmmmm.......hmmmm.......I guess the best solution would be to grant the player the ability to give the fully prepared meal to the poor guy, and remove the ability to give him the ingredients.

How about that? Is that better? Does that make any more sense?

2. Arrg, if you're trying to prod and find out more about the hidden parts of the quest, you're really asking the right question. Ummm, I need to be careful with my words. I did say (i think) that some items should be able to be found closer to the end of the building, but I don't really think a reward would make much sense, trust me.

1. I was wondering what you could use the ingredients on (eg. to heal your pokes, give to chef, give to poor man) and how it would affect your ability to access part 2 of the quest.
Are there paths you can take that disable part 2 of the quest?
Should it be missable?

2. Nah I was just wondering why there's no reward, but I trust ya :3
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 02:11:08 AM »
I liked the story line a lot!
Although i'm not seeing a lot of motivation to finish the second part of the quest, although since you put many "[...]"'s then I'm guessing it's worth doing. xD

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »
I like it. But i think you should have the two seviper be owned by the man in the office, and have him say something like,

"I'm sorry. i've been having problems in my life lately, and i thought you were someone who was going to make it even more miserable. Anyway, i'm terribly sorry."

then have him explain what his problem is. then a choice box pops up and says,

Help the poor guy out!
Let the guy solve his own problems!

and then, if you say help him, he'll say,

"What's that? you want to help me?"

and if you say no, he'll say,

"Huh? You have something you need to take care of? well, I'll let you do that."

And if you do say don't help, you have the option of coming back and saying that you'll help him.

But all in all, i liked it.

Hmm. Nice idea... that also reflects how pokemon are attached to their trainers and are also affected by the latter's moods.

1. I was wondering what you could use the ingredients on (eg. to heal your pokes, give to chef, give to poor man) and how it would affect your ability to access part 2 of the quest.
Are there paths you can take that disable part 2 of the quest?
Should it be missable?

I would think that yes, it is missable, since you then have the key. I'm referring to the 'if' said there:

Quote from: spirit
If you go to one of the towers in town, you will be able to use the key card you got from the restaurant to enter a room past the lobby and begin your ascent.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline Pericles

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 06:40:33 AM »
I like the idea of re playable quest, so you can go back and do it over, but couldn't Chef's Special  be replaced by a super potion or the food you buy at the restaurant, so going back would be discouraged except for experience. But it sounds fun.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 12:55:27 PM »
I like the idea of re playable quest, so you can go back and do it over, but couldn't Chef's Special  be replaced by a super potion or the food you buy at the restaurant, so going back would be discouraged except for experience. But it sounds fun.

I think this (bolded) is the purpose of not giving super potions or food you buy. Players should not abuse of the quest, and that way, experienced players won't get too much benefit of doing the quest again and again.

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 07:17:29 PM »

I think this (bolded) is the purpose of not giving super potions or food you buy. Players should not abuse of the quest, and that way, experienced players won't get too much benefit of doing the quest again and again.

Bingo!
I didn't want people with no life to keep doing this quest to get unlimited free super potions and distribute them around the game.

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 10:47:51 PM »
okay, I have 2 points
1. will you have to give all the poor people the special or just one (pedantic I know)
2. I had trouble understanding this section
the patrons will tell you that they don’t have any money to give you, but for your graciousness, they will give you a key card to their base.
So is this something you don't want to reveal, or is it taken for granted that all poor people who go to restaurants have secret bases? :P