* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Poll

Vote for the nominee you want to be RP Moderator

Humen
3 (18.8%)
foodonfloor
3 (18.8%)
The-Blades-slave
10 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: April 14, 2014, 02:07:07 PM

Author Topic: Election of RP moderator [Election Over]  (Read 27746 times)

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
Re: Election of RP moderator [Open for Nominations]
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 11:24:09 AM »
Yep. the story line belongs to the gm, we moderators are available to edit a post into something completely different but that doesn't mean we should change stuff entirely. Especially for an RP, a writer has his/her personal touch. You don't just fill in the story just because you've read it somewhere in RP discussion. It's their personal story, and you shouldn't interfere in such a way. Just posting what must be improved in the story is enough.

Just think of something you have written, and suddenly someone completely changes your story just because it wasn't enough and didn't even give you a chance to revise and rework their story. Must be pretty harsh if you just do that.

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline The-Blades-slave

• Good Trainer
  • I heed the command of the blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »
I see how it is, Jerry. Don't love me enough to give me a question. I'mma go cry in my corner of shame.

Daylin: 35/100

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 09:28:29 PM »
I see how it is, Jerry. Don't love me enough to give me a question. I'mma go cry in my corner of shame.

Hey, you don't know how hard it is to come up with something different xD I'll find one for you, just you wait ;)

Well, I've been working on something actually, trying out on vector art, that's a sample:

I'm trying to keep it simple, with a little shinyness.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline The-Blades-slave

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 11:28:14 PM »
Well since I'm impatient i'mma answer Fenror and Humen's questions based on my opinion.

What do you think is the best way to act if there's a newcomer who starts an RP without having apparently read the current rules? (i.e. No prior moderator approval and wrong formatting? Everything else seems okay, the plot seems borderline satisfactory.

I would have had him wait a while and repost it. I ran an RP when I first started, and it fit the criteria of what was described well; the plot was decent enough, but I had very little understanding of the rules, and ended up doing the RP in do to my inexperience. I think it would have been more beneficial to have participated in a few RPs before attempting to start my own, so that is what I would suggest others do. (This is probably completely wrong.)

Becoming a moderator will grant you to some new tools; namely editing other people's posts, moving posts, sticking threads, locking threads and even deleting them. When do you think that deleting a thread is the right thing to do?

I would only resort to deleting a thread at the most drastic situations; it is a thread with just an inappropriate (happened last year, was a picture of an old mans ass posted by a brand new account), or something like that. Otherwise I'd lock it if a flame war was going on or something of the like,. from what I've seen from the site we keep old threads so people can search for them, so the same topic isn't posted twice.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:30:20 PM by The-Blades-slave »

Offline GrizzlyEatsKids

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 05:32:55 AM »
And a question for you too!
Becoming a moderator will grant you to some new tools; namely editing other people's posts, moving posts, sticking threads, locking threads and even deleting them. When do you think that deleting a thread is the right thing to do?

I think that deleting a thread altogether isn't always the right thing to do, as RP's will close on their own once they become inactive, or they will be locked by a mod. I personally find it beneficial to go and be able to look through previous RPs that I've participated in, as well as look at characters that I've used in the past. At the same time, there are some threads that should be deleted. Generally speaking, deleting an RP thread should be done when the creation of that thread doesn't follow the rules are isn't up to the standard demanded by the section. This of course isn't the first step, though, as before deleting, or even locking, topic, the mod should discuss the issues with the RP with the GM in an attempt to fix them and create an adequate product. We don't like to see RP's fail, and before deleting a thread that does not follow the rules or is not up to standard, we should first try to fix the issues, and then proceed to delete the thread if the GM does not comply.
0 Aiden 0/100
0 Kayla 0/100
0 Zoe 0/100

Offline Humen

• Normal Trainer
  • I am the last of my kind and im loving it
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 08:53:44 AM »
Oi! Blades stole my question! Jerry I demand another Question!
Sticks and stones can break my bones and names can make me feel like i deserved it.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
Hey, I'm not the only one who can ask questions you know :P Anyone can ask anyone!

To Blades-of-slave:
During the course of an RP, two people get into a dispute. One is claiming the other godmodded them and the other is denying it, saying that the first one has been doing much more than that and nothing was raised against them at that time. The GM of the RP steps in, but doesn't succeed in settling things down. At the same time, both of the two RPers PM you about the other being unfair. What do you do?

Well since I'm impatient i'mma answer Fenror and Humen's questions based on my opinion.

I would have had him wait a while and repost it. I ran an RP when I first started, and it fit the criteria of what was described well; the plot was decent enough, but I had very little understanding of the rules, and ended up doing the RP in do to my inexperience. I think it would have been more beneficial to have participated in a few RPs before attempting to start my own, so that is what I would suggest others do. (This is probably completely wrong.)

I would only resort to deleting a thread at the most drastic situations; it is a thread with just an inappropriate (happened last year, was a picture of an old mans ass posted by a brand new account), or something like that. Otherwise I'd lock it if a flame war was going on or something of the like,. from what I've seen from the site we keep old threads so people can search for them, so the same topic isn't posted twice.

Of course, having some experience in an RP helps in hosting one, so that's another thing you could do all right.

For the second one, yup, it's true that we keep deletions for drastic situations. Locking is, most of the time, enough. There's no problem with posting the same topic twice though. Something that didn't work in the past could work now, or sometime in the future, because different people (or people who learned from their mistakes) will run it differently.

I think that deleting a thread altogether isn't always the right thing to do, as RP's will close on their own once they become inactive, or they will be locked by a mod. I personally find it beneficial to go and be able to look through previous RPs that I've participated in, as well as look at characters that I've used in the past. At the same time, there are some threads that should be deleted. Generally speaking, deleting an RP thread should be done when the creation of that thread doesn't follow the rules are isn't up to the standard demanded by the section. This of course isn't the first step, though, as before deleting, or even locking, topic, the mod should discuss the issues with the RP with the GM in an attempt to fix them and create an adequate product. We don't like to see RP's fail, and before deleting a thread that does not follow the rules or is not up to standard, we should first try to fix the issues, and then proceed to delete the thread if the GM does not comply.

I tend to agree. Like I mentioned above, locking is enough for most cases. If OP's looking for attention (which is often the case for newcomers , and pretty logical since they want people to join their RP), locking after several failed attempts to make them understand how things work here won't get them very far. Worst case scenario, they'll start more similar threads (where now it's appropriate to delete those because really, it's a duplicate of the previous one(s)), get warnings, try to PM everyone to get attention and get banned.

To Humen:
Oi! Blades stole my question! Jerry I demand another Question!

Well, how can I say no now?

There's a newbie (again!?) who started an RP, but this time, they appear to have appropriately read the rules and the way things are here. They have put the [Pending] tag in their RP title, they have a OOCC thread and a Profiles thread. What are you expected to do now?
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline Humen

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 08:53:20 PM »
Jerry its like your trying to give me all the hard questions. I want to say i give him 1 week to start his RP or i lock it but i think ill go with "approve the RP". That's my final answer Jer
Sticks and stones can break my bones and names can make me feel like i deserved it.

Offline Desbear

• Soryboard Writer
  • PU Trial-Team
  • Elite Trainer
  • TRANSMISSION_FOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 09:06:56 PM »
Yo, Jerry, are some of us allowed to say our comments on the answers someone gave, or not? I meant to ask this like, two days ago.
TRANSMISSION_END

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 09:43:57 PM »
Yo, Jerry, are some of us allowed to say our comments on the answers someone gave, or not? I meant to ask this like, two days ago.

Sure can, nothing's stopping you. This phase is where everyone can discuss about the candicates :)

Jerry its like your trying to give me all the hard questions. I want to say i give him 1 week to start his RP or i lock it but i think ill go with "approve the RP". That's my final answer Jer

Lol, well, you asked for another one and questions are hard to come by xD. Plus I guess I wouldn't call that a hard question.

But, I wouldn't say that pressuring someone to start an RP is a good thing (because after all, they cannot start without RPers, right?), and approving too soon shouldn't be it either. Remember that while the format can be okay, the content of the RP might not be. You will have to read and then decide whether this RP is suitable or not. If it's not, leave a post telling what's wrong. If everything seems fine, then I'd say you can approve the RP.

Offline The-Blades-slave

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 12:13:01 AM »
To Blades-of-slave:
During the course of an RP, two people get into a dispute. One is claiming the other godmodded them and the other is denying it, saying that the first one has been doing much more than that and nothing was raised against them at that time. The GM of the RP steps in, but doesn't succeed in settling things down. At the same time, both of the two RPers PM you about the other being unfair. What do you do?

It is a roleplay, so everything is documented. It is easy enough to scroll through the posts to see if one godmodded the other. If so, he should be given a warning and have godmodding explained to him in detail, so he knows what he is guilty of. I would also go back and check to see if the other is guilty of what he is excused of. If he is he would be warned and have what he did wrong explained to him as well. On top of that, I'd message the GM of the RP. It should be his job to uphold the rules in the first place, and it that whole situation most likely could have been avoided if he had caught the first offender.

How is my answer, critics of the world?

Offline Desbear

• Soryboard Writer
  • PU Trial-Team
  • Elite Trainer
  • TRANSMISSION_FOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 12:29:58 AM »

Okay

Humen?

D___ move. Most RP's can't be started within one week, as it takes times to get Profiles up, answer questions, hell, it takes time for people to see it. If the RP meets all the requirements, has a steady plot, and looks good? That should be proof enough that he can handle it. It's just flat out a jerk move to give him a timelimit simply because he's new, or you haven't seen much from him.
TRANSMISSION_END

Offline TrainerX

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 12:45:43 AM »
This one is for Humen:

Alright, so let's say there is an RP currently running. The GM has set specific standards for the profiles. The GM requests that everybody must provide a detailed written description of their character's appearance (pictures are not allowed). He/She has asked that those who wish to join the RP send their profile in a PM for approval. The GM wishes to post the accepted profile in a designated profile thread, where only they are allowed to post, so that they can keep things organized. Let's say that a new forum member posts a profile in the profiles thread, and that this profile does not meet the standards the GM has set(There is no written description of the character.). The new member then immediately posts in the IC thread. What do you do?

Offline Humen

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 12:46:11 AM »
So apparently i haven't talked with Joe long enough for him to realize when i'm in Sarcasm mode

Oh Dear it appears even Jerry couldn't tell i was joking XD

I've seen the process of making an RP enough times to know u don't force a person into starting RP and with the scenario Jerry gave its pretty obvious the RP was just awaiting approval from the Mod.

@Toast:

TBH that sounds more like a issue with the GM and that new member. Now if the GM needs me to delete the two post made by that person sure im up for that but the GM should be the one to (i'd assume) warn the guy of what he's done and to remake his profile.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:00:21 AM by Humen »

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 08:43:52 PM »
It is a roleplay, so everything is documented. It is easy enough to scroll through the posts to see if one godmodded the other. If so, he should be given a warning and have godmodding explained to him in detail, so he knows what he is guilty of. I would also go back and check to see if the other is guilty of what he is excused of. If he is he would be warned and have what he did wrong explained to him as well. On top of that, I'd message the GM of the RP. It should be his job to uphold the rules in the first place, and it that whole situation most likely could have been avoided if he had caught the first offender.

How is my answer, critics of the world?
For the most part, I'd say it's totally reasonable, and usually the way that things would go without much fuss. But if you want to be really critical on that, then...

It is indeed the job of the GM to keep an eye on those things, but you also need to check the rules within the particular RP before looking anywhere else. For instance, it's fine if a GM decides that a certain level of godmodding is allowed in a particular RP. The global rules are there by default (i.e. applies if an RP doesn't have its specific rules), but if a GM decides that an RP will be better by giving some more leeway, then you need to check that out first.

In such a situation, it becomes much more complicated to see who to point the finger to. Sure, the GM is responsible; it's his RP yada yada, and will likely try to say that there's nothing wrong, the rules allowed for that amount of godmodding since he wouldn't want his RP to stop because of one person. Now of course, it will likely be a different thing in a real situation too, since most of the time, you will either see the rules on the first post, or someone will point it out sooner or later, but if it happens later (I don't think something like that will happen, but just to elaborate a bit on that), then you could have given a warning too soon.

So apparently i haven't talked with Joe long enough for him to realize when i'm in Sarcasm mode

Oh Dear it appears even Jerry couldn't tell i was joking XD

Well, joke or not, I don't usually give obvious questions, and while you've got the gist of it (I'm sure most people would), you didn't get the whole picture :P There are few moderators, but many members. There should be at least a little something that differentiates the two after all, otherwise, everyone would be moderator and chaos would ensue.