* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Author Topic: X/Y game play changes and PU Pokemon  (Read 34894 times)

Offline Ursaring

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
X/Y game play changes and PU Pokemon
« on: May 12, 2014, 06:50:46 am »
X/Y brought a lot of game play changes ,but PU is not regular Pokemon. Our pokemon are balanced ,so when gamefreack decides to buff/nerf types and moves it can cause some of our balanced pokemon to become UP/OP. Lets start with a few bigger game play changes this gen brought.

Fairy type

The new fairy typing was added to many pokemon. If you think fairy types are OP then post about it and explain why you feel that way and how you would fix them.

New abilities

Many new abilities were introduced just like with every gen. Very few of these new abilities were given to older Pokemon though. If you think an older pokemon really fits one of these new abilities then explain why.

New moves and move Base power changes changes

A whole slew of moves got base power changes. A few new moves were also added. Do you disapprove of any of the base power changes? Feel like Pikachu needed sticky web? Post below!

Mega evolution

Mega evos are one of this gens biggest changes with nothing working in a similar way thus far. Let me explain some of the mechanics behind this.
-You mega evo at the start of the turn regardless of your speed. If you and the opponent both try to mega in the same turn the faster pokemon will mega first.
-If the opponent's pokemon is faster than you before you mega but slower than you in your mega form the opponent still attacks first. The next turn you will go first though just like normal.(hope that made sense)
-Only one mega evo per team. If you go mega on one pokemon it will not give you the option to mega evo on a diffrent pokemon. For example if you have both absol and mawile but you mega evo absol. When mawile comes in it will just not have the option to mega evo shown.
Keep in mind many of the megas will be getting nerfed in PU.

If you think any of the mega evo mechanics should be changed then post below. This thread is not for discussing specific mega evolution's that you think need balance changes

Do not be afraid to post! Remember to try not to bash other people's ideas.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 06:53:19 am by Ursaring »

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
Re: X/Y game play changes and PU Pokemon
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 07:21:22 am »
Moonblast - 95 base power and 30% chance to reduce special attack by 1 stage.

Why is this 95 when it also has 30% chance effect when t-bolt, flamethrower, etc. all got nerfed to 90?

I have been planning to nerf moonblast to 90 and reducing the chance to 10% so it will be like the others.
Can I get some feedback on this?
Team Attack Coverage Calculator
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline pabloabeytia

• Balance Tester
  • New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 08:32:48 am »
I agree with this change, though I don't think the 30% drop to 10% is necessary since a SpA drop is a lot easier to counter than a burn, freeze, poison, etc... a simple switch out would do the trick or a calm mind since most pokemon who use SpA have it and take neutral damage from fairy types anyway. The SpD raise will allow them to take another hit guarantee then they may be able to kill. Or maybe even make it a form of shadowball with 80 base power and 30% stat reduction.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:35:26 am by pabloabeytia »

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 09:55:36 am »
The whole reason I was contemplating the 30% drop to 10% was because of the sheer amount of times this thing actually activates. I've had nothing short of insane luck with it before where I was able to completely shut down any special attacker with this attack. I've also had this happen to me where I was on the receiving end of it.

Don't fret though. I will be taking all feedback into consideration before any action is taken. Thank you for the input, pablobeytia. I hope to hear more from you and others, about other gen 6 changes too.
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline Miss Wednesday

• The Pirate Lady
  • Balance Tester
  • Normal Trainer
  • Roloc's soulmate <3 C:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 10:20:59 am »
The whole reason I was contemplating the 30% drop to 10% was because of the sheer amount of times this thing actually activates. I've had nothing short of insane luck with it before where I was able to completely shut down any special attacker with this attack. I've also had this happen to me where I was on the receiving end of it.

Don't fret though. I will be taking all feedback into consideration before any action is taken. Thank you for the input, pablobeytia. I hope to hear more from you and others, about other gen 6 changes too.
I agree on the 30% to 10%, I was there when it happened to you, not just once or twice, but about 6+ times in a row.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Offline Flynt

• Balance Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 10:22:50 am »
Moonblast - 95 base power and 30% chance to reduce special attack by 1 stage.

Why is this 95 when it also has 30% chance effect when t-bolt, flamethrower, etc. all got nerfed to 90?

I have been planning to nerf moonblast to 90 and reducing the chance to 10% so it will be like the others.
Can I get some feedback on this?
Agreed.95 BP for a 100% accuracy move which also has a chance to lower Special attack is too much.90 BP would be better.The chance effect should be 10 or 15 %(10 would be better since flamethrower,ice beam,thunderbolt which are all 90 BP moves,have 10% chance effect).

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:44:56 am »
Don't forget the changes in type advantage ever since the X/Y update. Dark and Ghost moves are no longer resisted by steel-type Pokémon.

Plus the changes in certain typings being unaffected by certain moves:

Grass-type Pokémon are no longer affected by moves such as Spore, Stun Spore, PoisonPowder or Sleep Powder
Electric-type Pokémon can no longer be Paralyzed
Ghost-type Pokémon are no longer affected by moves that trap them such as Mean Look

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline Ursaring

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 01:37:11 pm »
I also have noticed moonblast activates all the time. Their are  only 9 fully evolved non legendarys that learn moonblast. Not all 9 run moonblast either. I think after the sp.att drop is nerfed it will not need the drop in BP. If this move was a Tm that a ton of pokemon learned like dazzling gleam I would say drop the BP ,but with its low distribution I do not see what is wrong with the fairy's keeping something unique.

Offline Desbear

• Soryboard Writer
  • PU Trial-Team
  • Elite Trainer
  • TRANSMISSION_FOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:14:39 pm »
Just wanted to say, I back roloc's decision 100%, as the mono-fairy type user around here. That wont even hit us too hard as a type, as there's not many fairy types that rely on that move, especially with alternatives such as hyper-voice Pixelate.

Er. Anyways. I back Roloc's decision, mainly due to the fact that as someone who has used this move on a regular gardevoir set, nearly every battle I'm in, Gardevoir constantly hits them for a -1 Sp Att, turning the tide of battle nearly instantly.

I mean I still lost, but that's because I suck at battling.
TRANSMISSION_END

Offline Miss Wednesday

• The Pirate Lady
  • Balance Tester
  • Normal Trainer
  • Roloc's soulmate <3 C:
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 09:59:24 pm »
Just wanted to say, I back roloc's decision 100%, as the mono-fairy type user around here. That wont even hit us too hard as a type, as there's not many fairy types that rely on that move, especially with alternatives such as hyper-voice Pixelate.

Er. Anyways. I back Roloc's decision, mainly due to the fact that as someone who has used this move on a regular gardevoir set, nearly every battle I'm in, Gardevoir constantly hits them for a -1 Sp Att, turning the tide of battle nearly instantly.

I mean I still lost, but that's because I suck at battling.
That^ and no, you don't suck, you're pretty good C:
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Offline Ursaring

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 02:55:38 am »
I am all for the drop in its effect rate ,I just see no need to lower its BP.

Offline The-Blades-slave

• Balance Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • I heed the command of the blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 03:31:54 am »
I see no reason not to do it. I personally have had no trouble with it hitting too hard or haxing, but I didn't with the other moves either. My main problem with this gen is, as Yuki mentioned, the resistance changes. It hits steel pretty hard in my opinion. Thoughts?

Daylin: 35/100

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 04:38:35 am »
I agree steel took a big hit this gen with the loss of ghost and dark resistance. Mainly Metagross and Bronzong.
Damage Calculator

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 05:51:02 pm »
I am up for the fairy move nerf. It may be due to my bias (mono dark battler, and the fact that I think the fairy type was a pointless addition), but then again, Moonblast does activate a bit too much. 90 BP with 10% is a good trade off.

As for the steel types, I'm not sure what to do with them. The type itself was well rounded, with a multitude of different pokemon, and packing serious resisistance with the type combinations. The change has severely dropped this fact, and seemed pointless as well. It's almost as if Nintendo was testing how much they can do before it got annoying. Perhaps analyzing the steel types that really took this hit, like Bronzong, and Metagross alongside steel types that excelled in absorbing Ghost and Dark type attacks. A change to some base stats would do the trick, or just outright dropping this change because the consensus seems to be that it was pointless.

And back to fairies once again. I'm a little annoyed at the fact that this stupid type can outmatch Dragons. Dragons can't even touch them, and they mow them down with ease. They take down pretty much any type, save for their weakness to steel and poison. I know I have said this before on numerous occasions, but this is where this type will make sense:

-Remove SE to Dragon and Fighting. This did not need to happen. If that is too much, at least make Dragon not very effective. Our balance is different from Nintendo's, and our dragons are not as OP.

-Have Dark become SE to fairy. I'm not upset about Dark types being weak to Fairy, since I think of them as the light type. But Dark should be able to SE a chansey fairy. That would make a hell of a battle. Not to mention Dark types that are supposed to counter fairies, Drapion, Skuntank,  and Bisharp, are taken down too easily, especially by Mega Gardevoir and Mega Mawhile. I have tested this many times, and my obvious counters don't match up. The dark types, no matter how bulky, take significant hits, or are simply OHKO'd without a thought. Plus, Dark types never had a real advantage in the metagame before, as they do not pose a big threat. This fairy nonsense makes them more so.

-Make fairy weak to normal types. Normal types have one weakness, one resistance, and no SE to anything. A new type is added, and the normal type was overlooked. They lost a few pokes who became pure fairy types. Think about it. A fairies biggest threat is the norm, because they are supposed to be whimsical and all that crap. Normal types represent the human's adaptable nature, becoming the norm. On a balance aspect, it would be a new era for a type that seems to be an afterthought.

In the X and Y games, Xerneas represent life, and Yvetal represents death. Zugarde represents the letter Z as far as I'm concerned. But Xerneas outmatches these two legendaries by simple typing. How does that make any sense? The above changes are not perfect, but I don't see anyone else noticing that Fairies are highly favored in Gen VI, and that they have disrupted the balance significantly by merely existing.

I'm cool with the new type resistances. Makes sense that an electric type should not be paralyzed, and grass can take a spore. Ghosts are escape artists, so being able to resist a trapping move is a plus.

Also, we seemed to forget about our pal the Substitute. I for one am happy to see that sound based moves, and infiltrator can now counter this tactic. I overused it, and had many a people rage when they couldn't touch me thanks to my poke doll pal coming in to block attacks. But I don;t think the feeling is shared. Was this change necessary or unnecessary?
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline Ursaring

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 01:12:56 am »
I am all for lowing the affect rate of moonblast's secondary effect. Only about 7 Pokemon actually use moonblast ,and 5 BP is not a huge deal so I do not see why we should not let them keep something unique. Either way as long as that 30% chance goes away it will be fine.

@Xetroc

Some dragons did take a large hit from the fairies ,but many of them are fine. The dragons that rely on using choice items seem to have the most trouble from what I have seen. Outrage gives fairies a guaranteed free switch in since it last multiple turns ,so after they use it one you can switch in and not fear a different coverage move. I do not have a solution or anything else to really say about this though.

If fairy did not hit dragon and fighting for SE it would be the worst attacking type. Fairy does not need to loose a resistance either. I think it gaining a weakness would make the most since ,but it does not really need it.

About the steel types I agree metagross and brozong really got hurt by the nerf. The other steels still have 11 resistances and so far appear to still be perfectly fine. (In my experience at least)