* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Author Topic: How to write a quest  (Read 8317 times)

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
How to write a quest
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:38:46 am »
I have noticed people trying to write quests lately, and I figured I would write some guidelines to follow when doing so.
Please remember, that these are guidelines, and are not the only way to write.

• dont rite liek this plz is vry sad 2 c r lnguage b-come so poor tht ppl cnt tipe n e thing nd not evan use grmmr either
  • Write in as proper English as you can. A few mistakes is acceptable, what is written above, is not
  • Write in any format you want (point form; list; sentences/paragraphs; webs; whatever)
  • I recommend thinking out your quest for some time before writing it. When I write quests for PU, I usually spend a whole week thinking about it to make sure it is possible, and in fact, a good idea
  • If you're unsure if your idea is any good, ask a friend, often times if you can get someone else interested in your idea, more people will like it, not to mention, your friend might help you make it better
  • Remember your context. (for example: in Pokemon Universe you will not be able to catch legendaries, so don't even suggest it)
  • Consider approximately when in the game your quest would be best suited (a great climactic battle will probably not be appropriate for the first quest of the game)
  • Remember your "three R's": Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! (Don't reuse the exact same quest you have seen in a previous game, people will know. that isn't to say you can't base it off an idea from one, but don't give us the same thing.) (When taking a previously established idea and making it your own, try not to reduce it until it has none of the good stuff left. That's like trying to make a cake and thinking: "if i take out the yeast it will be better" That's like trying to make tea and thinking: "if I don't use water, than I will be able to enjoy the tea leaves/bag more!".) (Don't recycle 'the same plot devices from season one', again, if you're going to take a previously used idea, make it something new don't just copy other people's work and call it your own.)
  • I find stories are always better when you think of a back story. Some of my favorite stories (movies, books, games, etc.), have an incredibly developed back story that you only see if you're looking for it. (take Lord of the Rings for example, JRR Tolken, created an entire language, and history for all his characters, and look what it has given us). Many times, what goes on behind the scenes is more important than what goes on center stage.
  • Look all around you for inspiration, I think most people would be surprised where a lot of authors get their idea's from. Next time you're bored, look around you, and ask yourself what is going on with the most simple of concepts.
  • Ask why! Why did this happen? Why did my character react this way? etc.

• I was thinking of many more things I have wanted to say, but it is late and I have forgotten many of them. I will come back and add to the list as i think of things. Also, feel free to add you're own suggestions, if they are valid, I will add them to the list, and give you credit for them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:18:10 pm by spirit »

Offline Interested Listener

• Beginning Trainer
  • "The purpose of life is a life of purpose."
    • View Profile
Re: How to write a quest
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 02:31:04 pm »
I will try to think more Spirit thanks for the guide.
The Interested Listener

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
  • I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 04:21:39 pm »
This is a great guide, if everyone follows it, the standard of writing should be very high ^^

But cakes don't have yeast in them, Spirit, that would be seriously weird.
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 06:59:50 pm »
Thanks for the help!
I'm glad I read this before I started writing quests :)

Offline Dillon

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 06:34:49 pm »
this is also good for anyone who wants to add a comment to someone elses quest on a thread, thanks spirit
Thank You PU Team for all your hard work and dedication I cant wait

zylonnick

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 06:03:22 pm »
This guide is great, I can try to write one myself following this as a guidance. Thanks Spirit!