* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: [Quest] The Night the Power Went Out  (Read 4157 times)

Offline chocobo

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
[Quest] The Night the Power Went Out
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:52:19 PM »
Quest Difficulty:  Easy-moderate
Quest Availability:  Earlier on in the game
Items needed:  pokeballs and time

(Anything with a star is only used for a reference. Real names and such will be added in by the PU team if this quest so happens to make it into the game.)

Upon heading into this new town, you notice that something is off. The people aren't outside enjoying the town, in fact, you begin to believe you might have just stumbled into a ghost town. However, after visiting the pokecenter, you are quick to find out the town has lost it's power. So the nurse regretfully informs you that she is not able to revive your pokemon. She also recommends that you head over to the pokemart and pick up some potions. That is all the information you'll get here.

After trying to uncover the scoop as to why the entire town is out of power, you eventually come to a house where a man tells you that he had heard a rumor. Apparently, his grandson was out late last night when the power went out, and had seen some suspicious looking goons messing with power plant. The only thing he could make out was an R on their clothing.

TEAM ROCKET!!* You knew it as soon as you heard the rumor. Who else could it be? You make your way over to the power plant to see for yourself. Upon arriving  you see nothing out of the ordinary. Just a cold plant standing large in front of you. When you enter, the place is empty. Nothing is around. The machines that create the electricity have been ripped out of the plant. Angered, you wonder why Team Rocket is doing such a thing. Now is time to head back to the town to try and uncover some more information.

You head to the old man's house who gave you the original rumor about Team Rocket. However, this time the grandson is also at the house. When you talk to him, he tells you that he saw the goonish looking men near the entrance route of the town and begs you to go take a look. When looking into the eyes of the boy your heart can't help but try and fix this town's problem. When you think about it, the world is much bigger than just you and you're pokemon.

While walking in the direction mentioned come night fall, you are confronted by some Team Rocket members. After a battling them both, you get some information out of one them. He tells you that the Team Rocket needed the machinery to power a machine that could duplicate any pokemon. Imagine if Team Rocket got it's grubby hands on some of the most powerful pokemon. The Universe would surely be threatened. After getting that information along with where you can find Team Rocket, you head out for the next part of the quest.

After reaching the cave the experiment is in, you right away are confronted with a number of easy opponents. Take them out and continue on. When you finally reach the area where the machine is getting powered, you find the master mind behind it all, Electric Elcie.* She has one difficult pokemon, but nothing you can't easily handle if your pokemon are around level 20. After defeating her, she laughs, pushes a button and runs out of the cave, while screaming it's gonna blow. As soon as you exit the cave you hear an explosion, and are no longer allowed back in the cave. You now face the difficult task of letting the little boy and old man know about what happened.

Upon returning, head to the old man's house. When you enter the conversation he will let out a sigh and say something along the lines of "this is a great misfortune. The people of this town need electricity." Here is when the young boy will chime in with, "what if pokemon could fix it." (you've got to love the mind of a little child. So simple.) The old man will say, "That's it! If we have enough electric pokemon, their energy can be used to power the plant. This is where the final task of the quest comes in. The old man, will gladly hold on to your pokemon while you head to location* to catch 5 electric type pokemon. He will also hand you 5 pokeballs. However, being you're a little ways into the game by now, you should have plenty more than that. So choose one pokemon to take with, and head out.

After you catch 5 pokemon, return to the town and find the home of a power plant worker. Next you know, you'll be at the plant, seeing the pokemon you caught generate the power that will light up the town. After the little scene, head back to the old man's house to collect your pokemon. He will thank you, and give you a good item* and possibly some money. If you stop by any of the townsfolk's homes, you will also get a thank you.

Quest Ended.

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
Re: [Quest] The Night the Power Went Out
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:35:14 PM »
I've got to admit, I quite like it (nice and simple). Oh and I'm a big fan of pokemon slave labour :P. The only thing I can find a fault with is the explosion. Good idea, but it might be hard to impliment. One solution is that after completing the quest, the Rocket boss disappears and will only be visible to players currently doing the quest.

Offline chocobo

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »
Haha. Funny you mention slave labour. I sent this to a friend who said the same thing. When in reality, I meant them to only be temporary workers until more equipment to be built, or replaced. But if I remember right pokemon have been seen working in the show, so I figured, it wouldn't be so bad.

While writing the quest, I pondered a few things I wrote like the cave explosion and how the town will look after you complete the quest, but I don't know enough about game developing to know if those aspects would be impossible to do.

Like would it be possible to make the town light up for just the people who are actively doing the quest and no one else? Or could the town only be black or lit up? So there are some concerns I had, but I figured I'd post it and see what kind of feed back I'd get from the people developing.

Also, thank you for liking it. I had the idea to do wind turbines with butterfrees, pidgeys, etc... But then I realized, why would pokemon be needed to power something generated by wind. It's not like team rocket can steal the wind....

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 06:47:59 AM »
Quote from: chocobo
[...]While walking in the direction mentioned come night fall[...]

I don't think that would be feasible :-\

Quote from: chocobo
[...]and are no longer allowed back in the cave.[...]

Hmm. I don't know if that would be possible to the trainer who did the quest and the ones who haven't yet done it...

EDIT: Oh, Declan already pointed that out.

On the overall, it's a good quest I must say. Yes, perhaps when the power plant is done, the electric type pokemon will be released.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline chocobo

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:27:57 AM »
Yeah. I wasn't sure if the game was going to have daylight and night time hours. If so, I meant after dark had already come would be when you can complete that part of the quest. If it's not possible, no worries, it can easily be removed.

And the since the cave idea was flawed, perhaps the machinery is just rendered useless. It works for me. So long as the main idea of catching electric pokemon to power the town works out, anything can be changed.

Also, I agree, we'll definitely have to free those enslaved pokemon.  :)

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:44:03 AM »
There will be day and night. I didn't understand that you meant it to be accessible only during the night. I don't know if that can be implemented though, the fact that part of the quest has to be done during the night.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline duotent

• Beginning Trainer
  • its my job to annoy and joke around on IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 06:38:10 AM »
i have a idea how about you cant catch electric pokemon in that place till you finish the quest XD that way more people would try to get some elecric pokemon and maybe some water pokemon aswell as a hydropowerplant in half off it XD
(POKEMON CHAOS) Eevee:tackle, quick attack, dig, shadow ball
(A RANDOM POKEMON RP)ponyta:growl
(NEW Generation)gyarados:splash tackle
allmy roleplay charcters and there attacks plus the rp thir for

Offline boyben10

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
  • I m be gud artist now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 06:54:35 AM »
Make sure this quest is suitable for a mmorpg, with lots of people being able to do the quest at once.
I like slowpoke.