* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: A Troubling Concern...  (Read 6706 times)

Offline dnablend

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
A Troubling Concern...
« on: April 08, 2010, 04:54:23 AM »
Hey all,

I was reading online about how Pokenet got shutdown, well rather Nintendo sent them a cease and desist and they gave into it. I would hate to see PU get bent over and taken to brown town by Nintendo. How is PU any different though?

Offline Kuhns

• Pixel Artist/ Part-Time Lurker
  • Normal Trainer
  • I'm (almost) back! And Sexier than ever! >:D
    • View Profile
Re: A Troubling Concern...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 05:37:55 AM »
We aren't.

However, there are sites like PokemonWorldOnline, PokemonCrater, Pokemon...with those Tibia graphics, Pokemon Global, etc. Some of theses have existed longer than PokeNet even. Officially there really wasn't a reason (other then 'treading on trademark rights') why PokeNet got shutdown.

We won't really be able to do much should Nintendo come knocking at our door though, but we really don't have to worry too much if so many other Pokemon MMORPGs are still up and running. 

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 07:33:53 AM »
I heard a guy (I don't think it was on this site), who thinks nintendo just wanted the rights to the domain name, and used this as an excuse. It would be weird if they just asked them to change their site name, but allowed them to keep the game.

Interesting theory, and with the 5th gen games just around the corner (there is supposed to be a shocking announcement regarding them coming this sunday), who know's if it is true, and what might happen.

And as Kuhns said, if Nintendo asked us to shut down, we would have to bow to their wishes, it's not like we could fight it, but I doubt that will happen, we have quite a lot that is not copied material, make no profit, and aren't claiming any rights to already copyrighted material; don't believe me? check the fine print at the bottom of the website.

Offline Kuhns

• Pixel Artist/ Part-Time Lurker
  • Normal Trainer
  • I'm (almost) back! And Sexier than ever! >:D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 08:41:32 AM »
If it ever comes down to it, we'll pack up our original content, make some new monsters, and create our own game.  >:|

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 01:03:03 PM »
If it ever comes down to it, we'll pack up our original content, make some new monsters, and create our own game.  >:|

^This
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Mewtwo

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 01:39:57 PM »
Hello guys, I'm quite a well known member of PN so I though I'd light some information about it.

I heard a guy (I don't think it was on this site), who thinks nintendo just wanted the rights to the domain name, and used this as an excuse. It would be weird if they just asked them to change their site name, but allowed them to keep the game.

I don't think that they shut us down just for the domain. They did request us to transfer over the domain to them, but we are fighting to keep it as they have no rights to it.

And as Kuhns said, if Nintendo asked us to shut down, we would have to bow to their wishes, it's not like we could fight it, but I doubt that will happen, we have quite a lot that is not copied material, make no profit, and aren't claiming any rights to already copyrighted material; don't believe me? check the fine print at the bottom of the website.

Most of the graphics in Pokenet was custom made, we didn't claim rights to the Pokemon and didn't make any profit. In fact, we didn't even put up ads on our website/forums and didn't accept donations. It was completely free while the developers paid $80 a month for servers. Yet we still got shut down. >_<

The Pokenet community is still around and we are considering changing our content to something else.

Offline YouHearThat

• Normal Trainer
  • Vault Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 06:36:58 PM »
We will not lose, because we are not losers, we are lasers~

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline olee12343

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 03:37:59 AM »
From what I understand, Pokenet was shut down because Nintendo felt that it might tarnish the rep of Pokemon. While there are numerous PokeMMOs out there, most are still in development and Pokenet was nearing completion.

Offline Duke

• Beginning Trainer
  • Jesus-He loves him some Pokemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 08:28:33 AM »
As long as PU doesn't do something stupid like clain Pikachu as it's own creation I think it oughta be ok.
It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvbhz8_N6-0

Smell ya later!