* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Naming Pokemon?  (Read 13984 times)

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Pokemon?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 06:28:36 PM »
Surely it wouldn't be hard to add a report name feature and if a pokemon was flagged enough times the name would be changed back to default? Of course then you'll get people abusing the report feature. It's a shame the level of maturity of most people online is so low, I would really love to be able to give my pokemon names, that was one of my favourite parts of the games, making all my pokemon MINE, it was the only customisation you got.
Note: all pokemon will have 'talent trees' so essentially each one will be different :)

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 03:20:26 PM »
What about you need to have some (real) 'accomplishments' before being able to name pokemon, to filter out the 'people with low maturity'. Once done, you have the option to ask for the possibility of naming pokemon.

Now, to narrow the filter, there can be a sort of survey among the players who came to battle/chat quite a lot with the concerned player (without the latter knowing; (s)he'll be told to wait for some time before the feature will be available). Some mods can keep a close watch on the player during this time. If the survey and the player deserves the feature, then (s)he'll get it.

Once a mod see that the player is misusing the feature, then the feature will be permanently removed (a record can be kept for that).

I know, it's somewhat complicated... but I'm trying to find a solution to implement the feature, without allowing the 'people with low maturity' have access to it.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Seveer

• Beginning Trainer
  • MY TREECKO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 02:09:41 AM »
They are going to alow you to give names to your pokemon. If not... well then its not Pokemon.
All who pass may never pass again. Or maybe they will!
I will one day become an official game designer, No Joke!
I’m a poor speller, so eat it.

Offline tomgregory200

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 08:52:41 AM »
i think that you should be able to name your pokemon,

but it would be hard to block all bad names, so made after fighting or see a pokemon with a bad name there should be a report button, where u can click and report all sort of problems

for example you could select, report bug, report bad pokemon name, report trainer,

and it will then open a box for you to write in.

after completing that u click send.

and then admin will get an e-mail like
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
to [email protected]

from trainer tomgregory200

subject: report trainer

while in battle with a trainer called ash010 he send out a charmader with the name FU**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a simple way to sort problems out in a MMo

cheers once again

Tom

my role paying team

Offline Killer2k9

• Beginning Trainer
  • Release LilWayne ;)
    • View Profile
    • www.goallineblitz.com
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 06:04:10 PM »
I hope that we will be able to name our own pokemon. I think that's what the Name Rater is for lol. If not, I would be so surprised  ???

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 06:49:08 PM »
i think that you should be able to name your pokemon,

but it would be hard to block all bad names, so made after fighting or see a pokemon with a bad name there should be a report button, where u can click and report all sort of problems

for example you could select, report bug, report bad pokemon name, report trainer,

and it will then open a box for you to write in.

after completing that u click send.

and then admin will get an e-mail like
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
to [email protected]

from trainer tomgregory200

subject: report trainer

while in battle with a trainer called ash010 he send out a charmader with the name FU**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a simple way to sort problems out in a MMo

cheers once again

Tom

The problem I see here is that people might abuse of this feature. What will happen when the PU team receives an avalanche of reports concerning bad pokemon name? :(
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline neokills

• Normal Trainer
  • "I'd rather die on the feet than live on my knee's
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 10:23:05 PM »
i always keep my pokemon the same name any way :-p so either is fine with me
***Thanx to lucariox for this great signature***

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 12:56:04 AM »
What if the ability for naming your Pokemon came as a reward for something difficult to achieve?
That way, it will get rid of some of the newbs who will be stupid and name their Pokemon stupid names. Plus, there should be some sort of profanity blocker.
                       ~Just an idea~

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »
What if the ability for naming your Pokemon came as a reward for something difficult to achieve?
That way, it will get rid of some of the newbs who will be stupid and name their Pokemon stupid names. Plus, there should be some sort of profanity blocker.
                       ~Just an idea~

Right, similar thing to my earlier suggestion :)

Offline Zatrei

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 10:37:11 PM »
How hard would it be to put a list for blocked words, like most games do. I'm sure that you can find a list somewhere on the internet.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Not quite a bad idea, but I think there are too many ways to write the same word.

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 04:29:38 PM »
This is just me talking, so don't take it for hard fact. The easiest thing I see, in terms of implementing, would making the player have to achieve the ability to nickname their Pokemon. Showing that they are worthy of doing it. Otherwise, we could just put up a filter that blocks out keywords.

Of course, people would find a way around that so we'd have to rely on catching it ourselves or having the community report Randomuser1 for using "lulzpenorz" in a battle.
Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Daily awesomesauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4uonU_uj0
I have a proud tradition of failure to uphold.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 04:36:28 PM »
Yes, okay, this is the third time this main idea of getting to a certain level, where the trainer is worthy of nicknaming the pokemon is pointed out, by three different people.

I think therefore that could be what the PU team implements, well, if naming pokemon is made possible.

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 08:53:56 PM »
What if, when naming your Pokemon, you could only use letters or numbers. That way, if a profanity blocker was implemented, it would be easier to make. With all the symbols, there might be 100's of ways to spell the word. But with only letters and numbers, maybe about 10.

Offline Zatrei

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
Is the game itself going to have a chat filter? Because if so, you can use the same words as that uses.