* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: gym battles  (Read 14546 times)

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
Re: gym battles
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 02:32:16 PM »
that brings another issue to my attention, in the show when the gym leader sends out a pokemon ash is able to just pick and choose which of his pokemon are best to battle with, so i dont know if i like the idea of just the "front" or 1st pokemon to automatically be sent out, esp. if you dont know the gym's type and what pokemon he/she would be using.

I think you should be able to go into a gym match and once the gym leader sends out a pokemon you can choose which 1 you want to send out.

Do you remeber in the games? ^*(There was this guy near the door, and he would inform you of the type. Thus, you can adjust your Pokemon types.)^*

Though, Types arent everything, so dont worry about it.

This is something like that is most likely going to be implemented.
Unbreakable, we aren't supposed to know what pokemon the gym leaders have until we go up against them. That means that unless some guys who don't like being rule-followers post the gym leaders' types in the forum, nobody will know until the battle. Even if they post this, most of US are going to be playing the DAY the game's released, or soon after, meaning anyone who's going to be reading this without finding it with the search bar will be battling the gym leaders not too soon after the first guy in public beta.

You're right, though. Types aren't everything. I pwned the half the series' water gyms with fire types. That may be because I overtrained my starter half the time, totally ignoring the rest of my team...

When I Said What is in the ()s, I meant inside the gym. That guy is inside, and if you talk to him, he gives you the type used. Except, in the Elite Four, You have to be prepared, no matter what

I played though SS, and my starter was Typhlosion. I owned Silver easily with him alone. Then, I got Lugia, Ho-oh, and Mewtwo.
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
  • I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 03:14:57 PM »
When I Said What is in the ()s, I meant inside the gym. That guy is inside, and if you talk to him, he gives you the type used. Except, in the Elite Four, You have to be prepared, no matter what
I played though SS, and my starter was Typhlosion. I owned Silver easily with him alone. Then, I got Lugia, Ho-oh, and Mewtwo.
Yeah, as I remember, the PU Gym leaders are all gonna keep you in the dark like the Elite Four. Something like that, anyways. Hey- you know what I never understood? Why is it that in the anime, all people had to do to challenge the gym was walk up and  knock on the door, but in the games, you have to plow through a small army of kids that like shorts because they're comfy and easy to wear?

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 08:00:46 PM »
Well, it's never been mentioned, at least, I never saw the mention that there will be that guy standing by the doors of the Gym to inform you of the type. I don't think that they'll be implementing them though. It would ruin the 'surprise' of the trainers challenging the gym leader concerning their types.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 03:21:39 AM »
Wait.... what about gym trainers? They would have to be left out, too. Fighting them would give out the type of the gym, unless they didn't follow types, which would defeat their purpose.

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 04:15:51 AM »
Love the idea of having a "Bank" of potential pokemon for the gym leaders. That way, every player wont have to settle for the same strategy in beating the same 6 pokemon everyone else has already beaten. I do think that there should be a small chance of a surprise abberation every now and then.

Ex. Water gym leader has a small chance, every other battle, in calling out a pokemon with fire moves (since water's apparent weaknesses are psychic & and grass).

Doing something like this would rid of players single-mindedly entering a gym with stacked single attribute teams and advocate a little creativity when entering a gym.

Wait.... what about gym trainers? They would have to be left out, too. Fighting them would give out the type of the gym, unless they didn't follow types, which would defeat their purpose.

I think that the gym trainers should be implemented, but definitely have random teams. I believe that the surprise should be in the gym leaders while the trainers shouldnt really be subjected to type.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 07:08:37 PM by ghostman50 »
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 05:47:50 AM »
Yeah... But half the time I just snuck around the gym trainers with the 'discreet' escape routes.

Offline lucifer

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 06:23:48 PM »
I take it I am one of apparently few people who actually takes the time to ensure that his team is balanced not only in type, but in level as well.

People don't realize that if (in a PvP battle each player has one extremely strong Pokémon and five weaklings) a player's extremely strong Pokémon is taken out, then the battle is pretty much decided.  If ALL of one player's Pokémon are extremely strong, and that Trainer enters into a PvP battle where the other Trainer has one extremely strong Pokémon and five weaklings, and all of the extremely strong Pokémon are of the same level, the one with only one extremely strong Pokémon is going to look extremely weak.

This has happened to me, and my Pokémon were in the 40-50 level range and my opponent's extremely strong Pokémon (an Infernape, in this case) was on level 66.  I pwned him in not even a blink, and I was using Pokémon Diamond to annihilate my victim.  The DS Pokémon games have the SLOWEST battle animation sequences EVER.

Animation aside, this proves that a strong, balanced team can beat a team consisting of one insanely strong Pokémon and five weaklings.  Really, the only cost is someone's patience, and that is not even that significant.  When this finally starts up, I'll be in the grassy areas not only looking for wild Pokémon, but for stones on which to whet my blades.  If PU uses the random Gym Leader team lineup idea, those who only raise two or three tanks won't stand much chance of winning against the Leaders like they did in the Nintendo games.  It's worth the investment to pause your Gym challenges and train in the grass or caves.  That's what I do in all of the games I have, even the GameCube ones with no Gyms.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 08:55:05 PM »
The DS Pokémon games have the SLOWEST battle animation sequences EVER.

You know you can turn the animations off? ;)

Anyway, I think that everyone has his/her own ways of training pokemon. Only a battle will show which training is the better.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 11:21:40 PM »
The DS Pokémon games have the SLOWEST battle animation sequences EVER.

You know you can turn the animations off? ;)

Anyway, I think that everyone has his/her own ways of training pokemon. Only a battle will show which training is the better.

They Made Animation Speed slower for Better Detailing
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 04:57:24 AM »
...am I the only guy on planet earth who never thought the battle animations were slow? Two to three seconds per animation, and three turns to make the enemy keel over isn't that much. No, the annoying slow-ness is pwning a chansy in one turn and waiting eight hours for its health bar to drop at the astounding, earthshaking speed of two pixels per second.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 04:27:09 PM by Frenchfry545 »

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 03:34:37 PM »
Yea, i dont get the slow animation argument either. But if you argue now for simple 1v1 battles, I dont think you're ready for the 3v3 battles being introduced in black/white.
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 09:00:06 PM »
That's because of the high HP of Chansey. If you battled a pokemon with lower HP, the speed at which the life bar goes down seems way faster.

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 05:40:22 AM »
That's because of the high HP of Chansey. If you battled a pokemon with lower HP, the speed at which the life bar goes down seems way faster.
I know. That's why I said Chansey and not Zigzagoon.

Offline lucifer

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 11:48:25 PM »
...People get sidetracked way too easily.  The topic at hand is how Gym battles will work, not battle animations for the handheld Pokémon games.

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 01:00:17 AM »
...People get sidetracked way too easily.  The topic at hand is how Gym battles will work, not battle animations for the handheld Pokémon games.
Hm.... Maybe instead of pretending you aren't talking to the people that your reply is directed at, you could add something productive to the topic to get the thread back on track.