* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Maybe a good idea im not sure?  (Read 3624 times)

Offline MaryJ

• Beginning Trainer
  • Just a joke ;P
    • View Profile
Maybe a good idea im not sure?
« on: January 20, 2011, 06:10:43 AM »
PLEASE READ ALL!

Summary:
Ok my PU people i'm pretty damn sure most of us know about Pokemon World Online and yea i know we're not supposed to talk about that here but this is not about PWO i'm only using them as an example so continuing.... as most of you know there aren't many good Pokemon emulators out there, most of the good ones stop working, like Pokemon Global was great but they discontinued their work so basically everyone is at PWO right now and they hold a monopoly on Pokemon emulators(none web browser based) so when Pokemon Universe launches i already know it will become an instant success because there is currently only PWO and crater i think? So there will be an overflow of people signup and downloading PU.

Idea:
Maybe after a amount of people that signed up there would be a system where you could only sign up if you have been invited by a current member? The reason i propose this idea is because if it gets to the point wheres there to many members that the servers go bad... well that wouldn't be good would it?

Conclusion:
Please don't get me wrong i really don't want to sound greedy like "I don't want more people joining!" because i do i want this community to become huge and expand but not to the point where it's causing server issues.

-Do you guys get what i'm trying to say?
-Am i just being dumb
-Not a good idea
-Did PU team make a plan in-case theirs to many members already?

Please share your thoughts and thanks for taking the time to read ;D
So PU team..."Who You Finna Try?"
GIFSoup

Offline Baka

• Normal Trainer
  • Troublemaker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant
Re: Maybe a good idea im not sure?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
First off, the PU is A LOT more efficient than PWO in terms of resources due to the fact that we DON'T use Java. Also, we're not a crappy copy of the original games. We have our own tiles, our own maps, our own story, and even our own NPC's.

Second of all, PU is NOT, and I repeat, NOT an emulator. It's a native application.

Third of, instead of playing around with invites, we'd just set a maximum online capacity. But we have our servers hosted at Datacenters, and they are all dedicated, meaning that just one server will most likely handle around 1000 people.

Also, there is no point in a browser version of the game, as it will run on most platforms anyway. We will provide binaries for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. If you want it on anything else, you can compile the client yourself, since PU is open source, of course limited to what platforms GO compiler is available on.

Offline MaryJ

• Beginning Trainer
  • Just a joke ;P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 03:43:35 PM »
Ok thanks for the input.
GIFSoup

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »
Third of, instead of playing around with invites, we'd just set a maximum online capacity. But we have our servers hosted at Datacenters, and they are all dedicated, meaning that just one server will most likely handle around 1000 people.

Side note: I'm working on a technique which will allow us to combine multiple servers to work as one. When this works we'll be able to host A LOT more players on one "server".
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 04:26:39 PM »
Does that also mean that... say... US server players will be able to communicate to EU server players if this works?
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Baka

• Normal Trainer
  • Troublemaker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
Does that also mean that... say... US server players will be able to communicate to EU server players if this works?

Latency issues, sorry.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 06:03:30 PM »
Ah, okay, it's still good anyway since I'm among the ones getting the biggest lags. :)
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline MaryJ

• Beginning Trainer
  • Just a joke ;P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 07:24:24 PM »
Ok guys thanks for your input ... i really like the combining servers idea, that will allow a lot of players
GIFSoup