* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Levels and badges  (Read 13623 times)

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
Re: Levels and badges
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 07:19:10 AM »
The best way to make a gym battle hard and fun would be to write some sort of program that recognizes the player's pokemon's levels.  Ex:  Trainer walks into third gym with team of Charizrd lvl 50 and 5 lvl 10s.  The gym leaders pokemon would then range in levels from 47-51.  To make this work you would obviously need some sort of floor. Ex:  Trainer walks into the third gym with all his/her pokemon at lvl 20.  The floor is 25, so all the gym leaders pokemon range from 22-26.

I'm not a programer so idk if this is hard to implement or not but, I feel it would make the game more challenging and about strategy and less about power leveling.

Edit:  I know it's off topic a bit but, I think it needed to be said cause the last guy mentioned power leveling.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:22:29 AM by Bing »

Offline Wire

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Since theres going to be more gyms then wouldn't it be fair to have maybe 4 badges you can obey only obey pokemn up tp level 25 or something..

Offline Absol

• New Trainer
  • Enjoy what you can, Endure when you must
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 05:39:27 PM »
Since theres going to be more gyms then wouldn't it be fair to have maybe 4 badges you can obey only obey pokemn up tp level 25 or something..

How many badges are there gunna be? Are they going to put in all the badges from all the games?

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 06:48:01 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier if you could only move on to the next area of the game by getting a badge. So you cant move on to the second area until you have the first badge and so forth. that way your stuck in that area and the higher lvl your Pokemon gets the less exp it gets so its not getting ridiculously overpowered. As for the gyms i remember playing a different Pokemon game where the gym leaders Pokemon weren't technically the lvl it should have been. So its could be lvl 10 but its stats are much higher. So it'll all balance out one way or another. Either you raise your Pokemon as high of a lvl as you can and battle the gym and still get a challenge OR you can get the option of raising a variety of Pokemon. So if its a rock based gym then raise a water/grass/ice whatever type thats effective against rock to still get a challenge from the battle but also balance the lvls out.

PS: If any of that made sense then im glad to get my idea out. If not then its alright, its 11am and it all sounds like a good idea in my head, haha.

Um, the first idea, no, that goes against one of the goals of the Devs: not to make the game linear (that is, you should not do be restricted to doing 'something' in order to be able to go further).

As for the stats, that's what the Champion of Pokemon Platinum had ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by the 3rd part... I mean... don't the other pokemon games allow you to get a variety of pokemon? ???
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Wire

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »
I mean in the games themselves you could move so far as to the point where you needed to learn cut, rock smash, surf  etc

Offline Wrathes

• Normal Trainer
  • DO NOT DISTURB
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 07:34:33 PM »
I mean in the games themselves you could move so far as to the point where you needed to learn cut, rock smash, surf  etc
This idea has been talked about. Of what I do remember, the answer for rock smash/cut will used (but I think it's just only cut). But in this case, you should search for HM uses on the search. :) I'm pretty sure there are answers.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 07:54:47 PM »
There's a big controvesy about surf/cut/rock smash and other HMs. To make the game 'non-linear', HMs will probably be removed.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline himoo1

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 04:14:35 AM »
I personally like Raikt idea on level caps for gym battles truly, it amazes me, I actually think this would have been implemented in to Pokemon by now for Nintindo with how great it would be so people cant grind too much before they challenge a gym.

Gotta love Pokemon

Offline Wire

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2011, 12:08:35 PM »
The problem with the level thing would be you could beat gym leaders by bringing in a bunch of level 2 pokemon and then defeats the purpose of trying to be at a certain level to beat their pokemon.

Offline TrainerX

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2011, 06:13:33 PM »
The problem with the level thing would be you could beat gym leaders by bringing in a bunch of level 2 pokemon and then defeats the purpose of trying to be at a certain level to beat their pokemon.
If you make a minimum level that the gym leader's pokemon can be, it solves that problem.

Offline Struka

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2011, 09:38:22 AM »
Mah, leaders are always very weak

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2011, 10:18:26 PM »
While you can't restrict overleveling, it is discouraged by saying things like:

" If you have to be more than five levels higher to beat a gym, you're a noob >.>"
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2011, 10:22:34 PM »
 That would certainly work in most cases, but I always find that kind of talk too idiotic. I usually ignore people who keep saying "noob", since they are not worth anyone's time. That being said, I ignore a lot of people. :D
                                     Cheers, Genbor
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!