* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: HM Slot  (Read 17275 times)

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: HM Slot
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 01:43:51 PM »
I think you misunderstood the idea. The plan was to have a slot where an HM could be taught BUT not used in battle. For example the extra slot would only allow you to use the HM to surf on the sea and not to use the attack in a battle.

Aight so what if I wanna use a HM as a move in battle? ... Do I have to teach it twice to the same pokemon? And since it quest based in PU that would make it even more inconvenient

Offline Impwadman

• Beginning Trainer
  • Hey Ampharos. YOU'RE SUCH A BEAST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 02:37:20 PM »
Alright so what if I wanna use a HM as a move in battle? ... Do I have to teach it twice to the same pokemon? And since it quest based in PU that would make it even more inconvenient

Yea, I agree. So, just to clear up what Gammal said, basically what you're going to have to do if you want to use say, surf, as a battle move, is you're going to have to teach it to you're pokemon in your HM slot and in the battle moves list? 

or............

If you teach it to your pokemons battle moves list, you will still be able to use it outside of battle and in battle, but it would take up a slot for another move.

Personally, I like using most of the HM's as battle moves so the HM slot would not be as convinient for me.

If you could just clear things up that would be great. ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:42:25 PM by Impwadman »

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »
This whole discussion is pointless as it isn't going to happen...

There are no HM in PU. Special moves are learned by doing quests. D:

Learning special moves on the other hand, and it's limitation to one move per pokemon is kinda pointless. Why? Because special moves usually don't give much of an effect or any advantage. As for an extra ability slot... why? What if you also want to use it as an attack?

Fill me in if I missed something.

Offline ghandor

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 05:39:32 PM »
I like the pr system the best but what if your pokemon is like level 100 and has a lot f pr well how would you find an attack

i guess u would just have a longer list of moves on the battle selection, its up to you how you manage your moves. as your poke levels it gains more pr and learns new moves.

basically, in the end you can do like a few high powered moves, or many low powered moves. PR can be listed on your pokes stats eg hp 60/120, PR 50/130 and an experience bar :)
... if hyper-mega-supa attack has pr of 25 then you can use it twice more, or you could use a move a pr move of 8 six more times or a pr move of 4 twelve times. or you could use 1xpr25, 2xpr4, 1xpr8, 2xpr4 and have 1 pr left.

if you haven't enough pr to do a move i guess u could have (a) have a move like struggle that burns hp instead, (b) have the option to use any known move but the poke faints after the move, or (c) just a msg '#name# is too exhausted to attack anymore'.

Offline Urmel

• Founder/Developer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • You are now blinking manually
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 06:59:03 PM »
Here's how it will be unless someone comes with a brilliant other idea:
Current HM's will turn into regular moves (not sure yet how these will be obtainable for your Pokemon). Things like surf and strength will be abilities, in other words your Pokemon can learn to do them (probably by doing a quest) but it won't take up an attack slot.

Offline Gingimon

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
  • TUSP [] [] NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 07:20:10 PM »
sweet, so your saying that we wwill never have to use an hm on our 4 attack slots?
Support PU!

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 08:01:50 PM »
Current HM's will turn into regular moves (not sure yet how these will be obtainable for your Pokemon). Things like surf and strength will be abilities, in other words your Pokemon can learn to do them (probably by doing a quest) but it won't take up an attack slot.

So how does that work for pokemon that wish to use SURF as an attack?

Offline recneps

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 09:12:53 PM »

I really don't think getting rid of the HMs would be a good idea, that is if you are going for the classic feel of the games, you were supposed to have to make the tough choices about who to teach the HM to, knowing full well that it cant be unlearned. Maybe thats just my view on it, but i had to say something about it.

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 09:19:16 PM »

So are you going to have to do the quest more than once, if lets say;
I did the quest and squirtle learned surf. But I don't want to use squirtle anymore because I've caught a better water type pokemon...lets say...tentacruel. So now... do I need to redo the quest so tentacruel will learn surf, or is it gonna be a one time deal kind of thing ?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:14:09 PM by Urmel »

Offline Urmel

• Founder/Developer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • You are now blinking manually
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 11:11:54 PM »

So how does that work for pokemon that wish to use SURF as an attack?

The HM's will be normal attacks.

I really don't think getting rid of the HMs would be a good idea, that is if you are going for the classic feel of the games, you were supposed to have to make the tough choices about who to teach the HM to, knowing full well that it cant be unlearned. Maybe thats just my view on it, but i had to say something about it.

We'll make sure there will be other tough choices ;)

So are you going to have to do the quest more than once, if lets say;
I did the quest and squirtle learned surf. But I don't want to use squirtle anymore because I've caught a better water type pokemon...lets say...tentacruel. So now... do I need to redo the quest so tentacruel will learn surf, or is it gonna be a one time deal kind of thing ?

You will probably have to do the quest for each Pokemon. This stuff hasn't been decided yet though, so who knows.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:16:39 PM by Urmel »