* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: MTG general  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Television17

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
MTG general
« on: August 14, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »
So, I play MTG (more IRL than online), and like to talk about it quite a bit! I thought perhaps we could get a general discussion thread going.
So, Maybe if you decide to post, talk about one of your decks? Or yourself as a player?
I'm a Johnny player (combo player, that is), and my favourite colour is blue. I'll post some of my decks, but only if this thread gets a little interest. If not, I won't bother writing it all out...
Why is a raven like a writing desk?
If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out...
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." ~Winston Churchill
The abundance of profanity is the absence of vocabulary.
"I feel like an unsprung spring; like an uncorroded gear! Like an untarnished bit of METAL THAT STICKS IN YOUR EYE!" ~American McGee's Hatter

Offline Silver

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • Touhou Encyclopedia
    • View Profile
Re: MTG general
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:05:23 AM »
I follow standard pretty closely, but I've missed the last 2 FNM's.
I personally play black more than any color.

Bloodthirst is making me want to make a Rakdos colored deck for the current metagame.
The thrill in playing a game does not come from our chances of winning. It is the weight and pressure of losing that fuels our fascination. It is why people challenge, why they gamble and why they compete. The adrenaline that comes from defying defeat is what motivates us.

Offline Television17

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »
I'm not sure that a RB bloodthirst would work in standard; wouldn't it be better to go with mono-black vampires and use that one whose name escapes me who gives other vampires bloodthirst 3?
Personally I don't follow Standard much as the cards are too expensive for so little time to use them, particularly when you live in a small town where the only card store went out of business.
I tend to play older cards as they work better with my combos. My favourite deck is probably my saproling deck. The combo involves Terra Eternal (Lands are indestructible) and Life and Limb (All Saprolings and all Forests are 1/1 Forest Saprolings) in conjunction with Mycoloth (GG3, 4/4, Devour 2. At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 1/1 Saproling into play for each +1/+1 counter on ~) to pump out loads of saprolings which are indestructible and tap for G. Then when I have a ~100/100 Mycoloth or greater, I Overwhelming Stampede and swing with +1000 +100/+100 Indestructible Tramplers.
I actually have a mono-black rat deck in the mail (if they'll ever ship it) which works with Memory Crystal and Lab Rats to pump out rat tokens for as much black mana as I can spare, then use Mirror Gallery to put out 4 Marrow Gnawers and make loads more rats.
Do you have many non-standard format decks?
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." ~Winston Churchill
"I feel like an unsprung spring; like an uncorroded gear! Like an untarnished bit of METAL THAT STICKS IN YOUR EYE!" ~American McGee's Hatter

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:20:46 AM »
I am fairly new to playing, like 2 months new.  I run two decks, a red white artifact deck, which is my main deck, and a black blue vampire merfolk deck.
Never Underestimate the Kindness of other Humans.

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 06:26:15 AM »
I have two decks as of now,  I use a red/blue counter and direct damage deck.  I also use a red/green creature deck, based loosely on eldrazzi cards.  Mostly the ones that give mana.

Offline Television17

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
@Amphi
Ah, I see. Well, everyone starts somewhere! I've been playing for almost 2 years now, though as far as play is concerned I haven't improved much! Mostly I play slowly to play my combos and see how my opponent reacts.
So, RW artifacts? I love artifacts... Just off the top of my head, this is probably a Scars block starter deck that you've modified? Might I suggest adding blue or black, as there are many cool artifacts in these colours, especially from Shards of Alara block. Blue also has awesome spells for artifacts, like Fabricate, Tinker, and March of the Machines. Bar that, I'd add some cool artifacts like Scourglass and Ethersworn Canonist, as well as Open the Vaults/Roar of Reclamation, if you're running purely artifacts.
My artifact deck is WUB (White, Blue and Black, that is), and I like to think it works pretty well. I can post a link to where I have a cardlist on Blackborder.com (Where I buy my cards) if you'd like to see it!
@Bing
Izzet colours? Love it! I have myself an Izzet (UR Control/Burn from Ravnica, in case you didn't know already) deck that I love. I'm hoping you've got 4 Lightning Bolts and 4 Counterspells, as they're the staples of such decks, and they're just great spells! Also, Gelectrode is a very useful creature for the decks, as the damage it can cause racks up pretty quickly, especially with 2 or more out!
Eldrazi can be a pain a lot of the time in formats that aren't Commander because it's difficult to create that much mana. My favourite spell is Explosive Vegetation, but Harrow tends to be the favourite. Also, a nice mana loop in RG is 2 Cloud Keys+Grinning Ignus if you're only after colourless mana, but you can throw in a Skyshroud Elf for Red if you really need it.

Offline Silver

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • Touhou Encyclopedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 08:14:06 AM »
Izzet is an evil guild.

Niv Mizzet/Curiosity.
I just broke the game.

I don't play legacy. It scares me. Especially because you need about 400 dollars to make a good deck in legacy.

Turn 1 Akroma/Stormtide Leviathan? chansey you Legacy!

I already have a mono black vampire deck. Sadly, it dies in october ;_;.
The mythic vampire that gives other vamps bloodthirst 3 is nice, but its mana cost makes it hard to play in standard.
The only way to get it out at a decent rate would be to play ramp, and at that point, you're probably playing Golgari colors in standard.

Rakdos bloodthirst can work well because of all of the damage spells. Just play your creatures on the second main phase after a bolt/shock/staggershock/any burn spell whatsoever really and you're good to go with your buffed creature. Red/Black is good for ani creature, and red gives you anti artifact coverage. R/B creatures have low mana costs usually, so you can really do some aggro damage while popping off burn on the opponents end step if neccessary.
The thrill in playing a game does not come from our chances of winning. It is the weight and pressure of losing that fuels our fascination. It is why people challenge, why they gamble and why they compete. The adrenaline that comes from defying defeat is what motivates us.

Offline Television17

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 09:11:38 AM »
Yes, Niv is a pain in EDH especially (Sorry, but I'm not fond of 'commander'). There are so many UR EDH decks, especially on MTGO.
Ah, okay, I can see how red might work now. As far as artifact destruction goes, though, you might as well be playing green (ie Naturalize), and that gives you your ramp, but I guess you do miss out on the burn spells.
I did make a mono-blue illusion deck around Lord of the Unreal, but I don't think it was very good. I guess it was okay, but I'm not great at standard because I don't like playing aggressively. Swinging at them every turn makes me feel like an a-hole...
Also, Legacy is even more fun with 4 dark rituals, one swamp, lightning greaves and Phage the Untouchable. Problem is, you need a godhand/4 demonic tutors to pull it off...

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 05:52:53 PM »
The main point of my RW artifact deck is to get moltensteel dragon out, as Silver says, that's my win condition.
Never Underestimate the Kindness of other Humans.

Offline Silver

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • Touhou Encyclopedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 05:53:19 PM »
All commander is to me is the process of Wizards making EDH cards. I don't play commander, I play EDH :P.

Red lets you Crush for R, which can really mess with combos, shatter is also there so you could kill an artifact creature. Sadly, it doesn't have the nice round block that naturalize gives you, by being both anti artifact and anti enchantment, but hey, not every color can be a dick to everything *cough*cough*blue*cough*

EDIT: Sure, the big dragon with fire breathing is a win condition, but you're pumping out so many 4/4 myrs that it doesn't even matter all that much, especialy because your myr turbine is pumping one out every turn, and after 5 myrs, you toss out a myr battlesphere for free, which makes another 4 myrs.
Though infinite comboing say, iron myr/palladium with your galvanizers for infitinite red on your fire breather is really fun too.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:57:12 PM by Silver »

Offline Television17

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 08:03:50 AM »
Ah, I see. My mono-blue myr deck just uses Paladium Myr and Galvanizer, since I only have 2 non-colourless spells (Fabricate and Rite of Replication). I love kicking my Rite of Replication on Myr Battlesphere; it makes 5 more 'spheres, which gives me 20 more Myr! I also have Myr Matrix which is good when I get infinite mana, and a Master Transmuter thrown in there, just because I had it spare and I wanted to make more myr with Battlespheres, as well as prevent targeting on my artifacts.
I really would like a Myr Turbine but I'm too lazy to buy a few at the moment...
I have a deck on MTGO I'm quite fond of which I call my 'Death Shuffle' deck which forces my opponents to shuffle their decks, and then kills them for it. I think it's really clever!
I also have a less original deck based around another card I like, The Cheese Stands Alone (Or more accurately, it's legitimate version, Barren Glory). They're both fun, but they're no tournament winners.
And I agree entirely with you, Silver, on EDH, but I'd still buy the decks, purely because of the colours of some of the generals, and obviously Sol Ring.

Offline Silver

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • Touhou Encyclopedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 09:33:40 AM »
Intet is a general now.

Intet the dreamer is one of my favorite dragons.
Scion is still the coolest. He's every dragon. At the same time.

Offline Television17

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 11:10:32 AM »
I actually have an Intet EDH deck because I love him too!
Unfortunately it sucks because I suck at EDH...
My favourite dragon (or more accurately, dragoness) is Dragon Broodmother. She was my favourite card for a while, and I never got tired of playing her. With 2 Crucibles of Fire she gives you a 7/7 Flier every turn, even your opponents'!
I really want to make a mono-red ramp deck using Seething Song, Rite of Flame, Pyrettic Ritual, etc. And then dragonstorm for amazing dragon-playing.