* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: gym battles  (Read 14545 times)

Offline Zyrow

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: gym battles
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 05:18:57 AM »
Love the idea of having a "Bank" of potential pokemon for the gym leaders. That way, every player wont have to settle for the same strategy in beating the same 6 pokemon everyone else has already beaten. I do think that there should be a small chance of a surprise abberation every now and then.

Ex. Water gym leader has a small chance, every other battle, in calling out a pokemon with fire moves (since water's apparent weaknesses are psychic & and grass).

Doing something like this would rid of players single-mindedly entering a gym with stacked single attribute teams and advocate a little creativity when entering a gym.

Or they could have a Sharpedo against all of the psychic pokemon, a Whiscash against all the electric type pokemon and a Ludicolo against grass.

This would keep the water gym true to its name and give them neutral resistance against all its major weaknesses.
Rock, Paper, Scizor is a  broken game. Bullet Punch is super effective against rock and paper.

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 01:45:37 PM »
Love the idea of having a "Bank" of potential pokemon for the gym leaders. That way, every player wont have to settle for the same strategy in beating the same 6 pokemon everyone else has already beaten. I do think that there should be a small chance of a surprise abberation every now and then.

^^Yes

Ex. Water gym leader has a small chance, every other battle, in calling out a pokemon with fire(Why? Ground, Ice would be Better) moves (since water's apparent weaknesses are Electricpsychic & and grass).

Doing something like this would rid of players single-mindedly entering a gym with stacked single attribute teams and advocate a little creativity when entering a gym.

Or they could have a Sharpedo against all of the *psychic(Please READ) pokemon, a Whiscash against all the electric type pokemon and a Ludicolo against grass.

This would keep the water gym true to its name and give them neutral resistance against all its major weaknesses.
^^This is nothing new^^
^This happened a Lot in RSE, and DPPt. (Ex. Wallace/Juan, Volkner, Maylene, and many others. So Im sure that will be included

Or, We could do what 99% of us already do, Just earn the badge. =P.

Its not called 'Lacking Creativity,' its called, 'Being Lazy.'
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
  • I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 05:11:43 PM »
^This happened a Lot in RSE, and DPPt. (Ex. Wallace/Juan, Volkner, Maylene, and many others. So Im sure that will be included

Oh god... I remember flint. He only had like... ONE fire type pokemon. WTF?

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 04:29:47 AM »

Oh god... I remember flint. He only had like... ONE fire type pokemon. WTF?

I hated his Infernape....

anything else?
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline SantaClaws

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2010, 07:26:43 PM »
I know it's been some time since I've been here but :

But then, the Gym Leaders won't be the Gym Leaders of Nintendo, they'll be those of PU, and I can assure you that they plan to make it so that when you face a gym leader, you will need to show your worth to obtain your badge. At times, yes, one pokemon can go on a win streak. Say it's your starter. Now, you got half of your badges with this one pokemon. You head on to the next gym, but hey, this gym holds a type strong on your pokemon, and guess what? Your move pool just cannot take the pokemon in one hit or two, before your pokemon gets down. And then there is the balance team ensuring that any pokemon can beat any other pokemon. Well, you'll be 'blocked' on this gym leader if you're not well prepared. (You won't know which type the Leader has until you go up to him/her, well, unless someone else tells it to you.)

Yeah true, if you're stupid enough to only train one pokemon.. But as I wrote in another post, you can easily make a 3-pokemon-combo, that counters every kind of combination.  Fire-Lightning-psychic  for example... There's no combination of pokemon that can beat 3 strong pokemon of those types.. Fire is usually good at everything, but it's weak against water. Lightning beats water, but is weak against rock etc. Pyschich is great against everything, especially rock types..
So what can beat a combo like that??

My point is. In the original handheld games, If you have 6 lvl 45 pokemon against  1 lvl 55-60ish, the lvl 60 pokemon wins, because it 1shot K.O.'s everytime. It rarely even matters what types it is.. But the sum of the experience points of the one who only had 6 pokemon, is clearly larger then the sum of the guy who only trained 1 pokemon.. Is that fair? no way.
If two people have the exact same sum of exp over all their pokemon; logic dictates that, the one who distributes it evenly over the most pokemon, should have the advantage because he has more viable moves than the other. It's not hard to make one pokemon and spam 1-2 spells.
It requires much more gamesense to make great combos, and great gamesense has to be rewarded in a competitive enviroment, otherwise the game dies.
I'm a strategist, I've been playing turn-based and -RTS's my entire life. I'm not in this for the roleplaying. So I refuse to play a game where all I have to do is spam nukes without thinking. Turn-based strategi games should be mindgames!
-Santa

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2010, 09:44:14 PM »
I know it's been some time since I've been here but :

Yeah true, if you're stupid enough to only train one pokemon.. But as I wrote in another post, you can easily make a 3-pokemon-combo, that counters every kind of combination.  Fire-Lightning-psychic  for example... There's no combination of pokemon that can beat 3 strong pokemon of those types.. Fire is usually good at everything, but it's weak against water. Lightning beats water, but is weak against rock etc. Pyschich is great against everything, especially rock types..

Well, if this suits you, fine with me.

My point is. In the original handheld games, If you have 6 lvl 45 pokemon against  1 lvl 55-60ish, the lvl 60 pokemon wins, because it 1shot K.O.'s everytime. It rarely even matters what types it is.. But the sum of the experience points of the one who only had 6 pokemon, is clearly larger then the sum of the guy who only trained 1 pokemon.. Is that fair? no way.

This part has some truth, and a part not always true at the same time. Different pokemon get different amounts of EXP as they level up. You can have a pokemon at level 60 with, I don't know... 350000 EXP and another one at level 50 with the exact same amount of EXP. (an example)

If two people have the exact same sum of exp over all their pokemon; logic dictates that, the one who distributes it evenly over the most pokemon, should have the advantage because he has more viable moves than the other. It's not hard to make one pokemon and spam 1-2 spells.
It requires much more gamesense to make great combos, and great gamesense has to be rewarded in a competitive enviroment, otherwise the game dies.
I'm a strategist, I've been playing turn-based and -RTS's my entire life. I'm not in this for the roleplaying. So I refuse to play a game where all I have to do is spam nukes without thinking. Turn-based strategi games should be mindgames!

I would agree to a certain point, because real competitive battling is carried out at max levels, where I am most certainly sure that the player will take all 6 slots for his/her pokemon. EXP here no more matters, but strategy.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 12:19:52 AM »
I think i missed the part where psychic is super effective against rock and rock is super effective to electric

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 11:12:35 AM »
Yeah, I didn't bother to read it all :-[
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 06:19:28 PM »
[...]
Fire is usually good at everything, but it's weak against water. Lightning beats water, but is weak against rock etc. Pyschich is great against everything, especially rock types..
[...]

Psychic moves are great (2x) against FIGHTING- and POSION-typed pokemon.
ROCK is weak (2x) to FIGHTING-, GRASS-, GROUND-, STEEL- and WATER-typed moves.

So please elaborate on:
Pyschich is great against everything, especially rock types..

So for you're "So what can beat a combo like that??" statement, I give you a Rhyperior with Megahorn and Earthquake.
Of course it all comes down to your 2nd typing of those three pokes of yours.
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline MyTh

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2010, 12:02:22 AM »
I support This idea, i don't know that it will count for anything though.