* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: [Quest] Haunted past  (Read 10198 times)

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
[Quest] Haunted past
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:30:44 PM »
First of all, I apologize to everyone for "death-by-reading" length of my post.... i promise to try and make my next one only a paragraph or two ok? ok!

Ok, so this just came to me, and is possibly not that well thought out, so just bear with me as i figure out what i am writing as i write it...

.....Yeah, i could have worked on this before posting, but where is the fun in that?

Ok....Anyways.....

So you walk into this old mans home in some town (it doesn't really matter where) and he tells you that he has a pokemon at the daycare/breeding center, but is to old to go fetch it himself (lazy old man), and if you go retrieve it for him he will reward you with a useful item.

So you go to the daycare/breeding center and talk to the owner who says he had just received a call from the old man and was expecting you. After you retrieve the pokemon (Cubone), the owner tells you about how well behaved this pokemon is, and it's friends, especially its best friend Sandshrew are going to miss having it around, and that you should tell the old man to bring it back for a periodical visit.

Now Cubone is a part of your team, and you can use it how you see fit, however to complete this quest you must return it to the old man. When you bring it to him he looks at it and evaluates its level. If Cubone has not leveled twice since you got it from the daycare the old man will say that it cannot possibly be his, or that the daycare is loosing its talent for raising pokemon. so you go out and train some more. when Cubone is finally at the appropriate level, the old man will thank you, take his Cubone back, and reward you as promised.

Time continues onward, and you play through the game. Eventually if you return to the old man, he will say that he wishes for his Cubone to be an even higher level, and also mentions that it would be nice if Cubone could go visit its friends. If you accept this quest, you will receive Cubone yet again, and have to take it to the daycare for the old man. Again, you continue on with other quests in game, until the old man requests his Cubone back. once again, you have to raise the Cubone's level a few times before returning it to him, and he notes that his Cubone appears more depressed, Well this is no surprise since the daycare owner stated that Cubone wants to be with its friends.

Anyway, this process continues back and forth a few times, with Cubones depression from staying away from its friends growing stronger, its level's getting higher, and its appreciation of you getting better with each installation of the quest.

(I suggest a bases of badges for this entire procedure. For example, you have to complete a predetermined number of gyms before you can continue with each part of the quest. Kind of like the guy in RSE who you would go to after every gym to solve his challenges and earn items for your base).

Anyway, eventually you go back to the old man, and he tells you, you can just have the Cubone (who has now evolved into a Marowak), as it seems sick and is no longer any good to him. The man thanks you for all you have done and you go on your way with your new pokemon. Sure enough, Marowak is very ill, and is in fact poisoned. you can give it an antidote, but something like 500 steps later it automatically becomes poisoned again. As you continue to use the pokemon the number of steps between its poisoned state (not including any steps you take while it is fainted) decreases, until even when you give it an antidote, or a full restore, or take it to the pokemon center, or whatever, it is permanently poisoned.

Once it is in a permanent poisoned state, if it ever runs out of health, instead of fainting, it actually dies (you must return the Marowak to the daycare one last time for a period of a few hours so that it may visit it's friends, before the game will allow it to die in such a manor). If you try to release the pokemon or put it into a box, you will get a message stating that all deceased pokemon are to go to the Spirit Hotel. The Spirit Hotel is a tower where deceased pokemon are taken and placed to rest until their spirits can ascend to another life.

When you enter the Spirit Hotel, the owner there asks you what your business is (it can either be to visit a lost soul, drop off a deceased pokemon, or other), after giving her your dead Marowak you are asked to find a suitable tomb stone for your pokemon while she prepares the procedure for Marowak's stay. Obviously you must climb several stories to reach an empty tomb stone (yes, there are ghost pokemon here....duh). Once you have found a tomb stone, you press your action button, and place a marker on it for your poor Marowak. Return to the owner and she will say that she is still fairly busy, as the process of giving a pokemon's soul to the hotel is a long and delicate one. She states, that most of the time however, is spent on letting the spirit mature and come to terms with its new self, and that you should return in three days, and that midnight she will perform the ceremony.

It is not necessary to be present for this, as every midnight you can see her at a different tomb stone making prayers and telling pokemon to be at peace (which is the ceremony). If you are there however, she just tells you that she is currently helping your pokemon, and that it would mean the world to your Marowak if you stayed for the ceremony.

Come back the next morning and the owner will again be at the entrance, speak with her and she will tell you that your pokemon should now be at peace in its new home and that you should feel free to visit it any time. Doing so now will do nothing, however, return in one week and things will have changed.

One week later, the owner of the Spirit Hotel will state that something must have gone wrong, because your Marowak is no longer at piece. She does not know what is wrong but it is up to you to check on your pokemon. You then climb the tower again and when you reach the level where Marowak's tomb is, you see a psychic who calls herself the 'Pokemon Medium', she says that she feels a strange sense of displeasure nearby and claims that it has something to do with you. She then tells you that in order for her psychic powers to work properly, she needs to battle with you (not against you, with you), so you team up and approach Marowak's tomb. suddenly, Marowak appears and battles you in a 2 on 2 battle (the second pokemon is a random ghost type), when you win the battle, you see a ghostly image of Marowak, and its health replenishes so that it can fight you again. You fight 2 on 2 battles without being able to heal in between, and with the second pokemon being a random ghost type a few times before Marowak calms down.

After the fights, the Pokemon Medium states that she knows what the problem is, your Marowak, had an egg with its best friend Sandshrew back at the daycare, and now it will soon be hatching. Marowak is upset because it will never be able to see its child, and it is worried that its child will not have a good trainer, and wishes its former owner (the old man) could be given Marowak's child in hopes that he would become a better person too. you must then return to the daycare where you tell the owner there that Sandshrew should be in possession of an egg. the daycare owner leaves and comes back stating that he did in fact find an egg, in fact, he found two (Marowak and Sandshrew had twins). Since you were the last owner of Marowak, the Daycare owner gives you both pokemon, but states that they are still too weak for battle.

You take both to the old man who's heart is uplifted at the sight, and saddened by your tail of Marowak's death, he vows to be a better trainer to these two pokemon then he was to Marowak.

One more time, you can return to him a week or two later and he will state that he was true to his word and took very good care of the twins (one Sandshrew, and one Cubone), he then says that he wishes to give you a reward for being such a kind hearted person, you get to choose either Sandshrew or Cubone (each coming with a hold item to boost their abilities), coincidentally, it turns out he had trained both of them to the same level Marowak was at when it died.

After that, the quest is over, but if you ever want to train by fighting Marowak again, you can do so in a 2 on 2 battle with the Pokemon Medium so that she can evaluate how you have been training Marowak's child, and if Marowak is pleased with how well you have been treating its child. In order to partake in these battles however, you must have its child in your team when you visit it's tomb.

Oh, sorry to the PU team once again!
 'tl;dr = "The ability to arbitrarily read 400 small posts but not a long one." ' Kamaran
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:22:41 PM by Mr_Dark »

Offline Blaze

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Haunted past (quest idea)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:39:07 PM »
I read it (really, I did) and was great!  ;D

I think this would definitely be a good addition to the game.

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »
It is of course just not only 1 quest but many, which can be avaible over leveling and time.

I liked a major part of it, but I don't see how we can make a cubone/marowak die tbh. Remember that this is also a game for younger people. I know that the dieing-part is the major-key issue of the story, so if you could find any alternative way I would be glad. (mostly because then it would be more likely that you'll see this questline ingame) :)

"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
Haunted past (quest idea)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:12:51 PM »
Woah, that was pretty good. I liked the similarity with the r/b/y story line. I have an idea about the dying problem. How about when it reaches low health because of poisoning and you take it to the poke centre nurse joy tells you that it is too old to battle anymore. You take it to old pokemon home and one of the people discovers its issue with the babies. Not really sure what you could do for the 2v2 battles though.

Offline Kuhns

• Pixel Artist/ Part-Time Lurker
  • Normal Trainer
  • I'm (almost) back! And Sexier than ever! >:D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 08:56:19 AM »
Overall it's pretty interesting, but...

I think it might be better if, when you go back to the Old Man (for the time that he gives you the useless Pokemon) for it to already have died. That way, in its Pokeball, you just go right to the Spirit Hotel with the Pokemon.

Although, why did you chose Cubone/Marowak? I was instantly reminded of that sob-story from Blue/Red/remakes/etc.

Offline PokeBlue358

• Beginning Trainer
  • Pikachu, I choose.... Oh. I see your upset.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 12:18:23 AM »
i think, instead of having the marowak dying, have it run away, and all the same things like you had, but with these changes;

1: instead of spirit tower, spirit forest. (i kept the spirit part -  its your name - the forest has been blessed by spirits, healing anyone who enters)

2: instead of pokemon medium thingy, its the pokemon whisperer.

and i think you can put in the rest, and change it according to what my suggestions say
With my pumped up Pokemanz, I can't lose!!!

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 08:37:21 PM »
I  finally got the time to read the post :P

Think most of the stuff can be implemented as quests linked to each other. I can't say what can and what can't be implemented yet, because we're not done with the quest system.

But I like it :)
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 12:33:54 AM »
It is of course just not only 1 quest but many, which can be avaible over leveling and time.

I liked a major part of it, but I don't see how we can make a cubone/marowak die tbh. Remember that this is also a game for younger people. I know that the dieing-part is the major-key issue of the story, so if you could find any alternative way I would be glad. (mostly because then it would be more likely that you'll see this questline ingame) :)

thanks man. that is a major honor to me. as for the change in the way the quest would be played out, i have a few ideas that i would be more than happy to discuss with you.... but i think i should wait until i can speak with you on the chat.
Woah, that was pretty good. I liked the similarity with the r/b/y story line. I have an idea about the dying problem. How about when it reaches low health because of poisoning and you take it to the poke centre nurse joy tells you that it is too old to battle anymore. You take it to old pokemon home and one of the people discovers its issue with the babies. Not really sure what you could do for the 2v2 battles though.
that was the idea i had as well, which wouldn't be too hard to implement since it would also allow for the creation of a retirement home/larger pokemon hospital where you would also be able to interact with other patients. as for the 2 on 2 battle system, other patients and/or nurse's could easily be the secondary pokemon on the other team. ...obviously you wouldn't want to use ghosts here since that would just make the place seam much more depressing.
i think, instead of having the marowak dying, have it run away, and all the same things like you had, but with these changes;

1: instead of spirit tower, spirit forest. (i kept the spirit part -  its your name - the forest has been blessed by spirits, healing anyone who enters)

and i think you can put in the rest, and change it according to what my suggestions say
i actually really enjoy this version, and am highly considering pursuing this change, should i be required to keep marowak alive.

but for the record, i didn't call it the Spirit Hotel, because thats part of my name, i just did it because it made sense to the story, and sounded more appropriate for a temporary "limbo-esque" building, than a ghost house or tower, etc.

also, i like the idea of the pokemon whisperer, which is the way to go should i keep marowak alive, however, if we can still include the death aspect, i think pokemon medium makes more sense.

I think it might be better if, when you go back to the Old Man (for the time that he gives you the useless Pokemon) for it to already have died. That way, in its Pokeball, you just go right to the Spirit Hotel with the Pokemon.

Although, why did you chose Cubone/Marowak? I was instantly reminded of that sob-story from Blue/Red/remakes/etc.

yeah, i like the suggestion, and obviously i welcome and encourage people's points of view (especially if their honest) since it is the best way to grow and learn. however, i still think it makes the story have more heart when you have the character die the way i had it.... but if i can't, but am still allowed to have marowak die, than this is the way to go. in any case, this idea is perfect for a backup alternative

also, the "sob story" from red/blue did assist in inspiring this quest, but of course this one brings it more to home...which is why it is being questioned whether or not it is okay to have a pokemon die. but it is not just the quest from red and blue that helped with this, it is also the pokedex descriptions for cubone/marowak since death and sorrow has alot to do with these two pokemon, therefore it is the most appropriate pokemon to use for symbolic reasons in such a story (cubone where's the skull as a mask of its mother after she dies), it just wouldn't be the same if i used another pokemon, such as geodude....it doesn't have the same kind of emotional back story to it

thanks to everyones input.
please continue to constructively criticize my work, and give your opinions so that we make this the best we can
remember, i can't get better without your guys' input, and i don't have the ability to make a game like this on my own so i need the PU team's support as well. we all need each other, you can always learn something from everyone regardless of age, ethnicity, sex, experience, etc. good teachers learn more from their students than from their teachers

Offline zrper

• Beginning Trainer
  • profile pic by amphy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 03:05:14 AM »

thanks man. that is a major honor to me. as for the change in the way the quest would be played out, i have a few ideas that i would be more than happy to discuss with you.... but i think i should wait until i can speak with you on the chat.
that was the idea i had as well, which wouldn't be too hard to implement since it would also allow for the creation of a retirement home/larger pokemon hospital where you would also be able to interact with other patients. as for the 2 on 2 battle system, other patients and/or nurse's could easily be the secondary pokemon on the other team. ...obviously you wouldn't want to use ghosts here since that would just make the place seam much more depressing.

i actually really enjoy this version, and am highly considering pursuing this change, should i be required to keep marowak alive.

but for the record, i didn't call it the Spirit Hotel, because thats part of my name, i just did it because it made sense to the story, and sounded more appropriate for a temporary "limbo-esque" building, than a ghost house or tower, etc.

also, i like the idea of the pokemon whisperer, which is the way to go should i keep marowak alive, however, if we can still include the death aspect, i think pokemon medium makes more sense.

yeah, i like the suggestion, and obviously i welcome and encourage people's points of view (especially if their honest) since it is the best way to grow and learn. however, i still think it makes the story have more heart when you have the character die the way i had it.... but if i can't, but am still allowed to have marowak die, than this is the way to go. in any case, this idea is perfect for a backup alternative

also, the "sob story" from red/blue did assist in inspiring this quest, but of course this one brings it more to home...which is why it is being questioned whether or not it is okay to have a pokemon die. but it is not just the quest from red and blue that helped with this, it is also the pokedex descriptions for cubone/marowak since death and sorrow has alot to do with these two pokemon, therefore it is the most appropriate pokemon to use for symbolic reasons in such a story (cubone where's the skull as a mask of its mother after she dies), it just wouldn't be the same if i used another pokemon, such as geodude....it doesn't have the same kind of emotional back story to it

thanks to everyones input.
please continue to constructively criticize my work, and give your opinions so that we make this the best we can
remember, i can't get better without your guys' input, and i don't have the ability to make a game like this on my own so i need the PU team's support as well. we all need each other, you can always learn something from everyone regardless of age, ethnicity, sex, experience, etc. good teachers learn more from their students than from their teachers
how about the quest is optional?

Uh-huh

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
Re: [Quest] Haunted past
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 03:22:26 AM »
how about the quest is optional?

ummm...yeah....probably

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 05:08:04 PM »
What I think is that quests are always optional, right?

You choose to take a quest, or not... because your first goal is to obtain the badges and try to beat the Brutal 5 and quests may take some time, time which could have been put to better use in training for example.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 06:44:06 PM »
What I think is that quests are always optional, right?

You choose to take a quest, or not... because your first goal is to obtain the badges and try to beat the Brutal 5 and quests may take some time, time which could have been put to better use in training for example.

yeah, for the most part. but there will probably be one or two (more) quests that are mandatory

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 06:54:03 PM »
Ok, that make things clearer. Thanks!
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...