* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Elemental Punches  (Read 11859 times)

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
  • I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants.
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental Punches
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 03:13:45 AM »
Use proper English and think logically and I am actually a very pleasant person.
I actually find this statement to be EXTREMETLY prick-ish.

Offline Pubbles

• Beginning Trainer
  • "A Severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 03:29:28 AM »
Gold, you have a point, but it's not necessarily pertinet to this subject. We're talking about natural forces; Not technology...

Liquid Nitrogen is a far cry from an Icy Wind. As such, a Flamethrower is vastly different than a simple flame ember. This carries on to a Fire Punch or an Icy Punch.

But that's not really the point. The power of the Element comes from within the Pokemon, not from without.

While it -is- possible to freeze something that has just been set on fire, and the other way around. It still isn't all that logical, or reasonable, to think that a pokemon, can jump from one extreme to the extreme opposite... You'd think that they couldn't flip between said extremes without at least a decent time to concentrate, recover and then act.

I'm not trying to argue for argument's sake... I just think that it would make more sense to have to choose which way you'd go with your Fighting Pokemon... To specialize in Fire punches, and thus deal more damage with them and not be able to use Icy Punch... Or the other way around.

It would also add more variety to the game, and more strategy... Sure, in the cartridge games you can decide which moves to keep... But you should also be able to choose which way to specialize your Fighter to work with the above idea... Or that should already be decided when you catch them.... They could have an... Affinity for either Fire... Thunder... Ice... Etc.

I'm not too worried either way... I'm not a big fan of Fighter Pokemon personally... I just figured I'd offer my Two Cents' worth. (Or Pence if you prefer.) Perhaps if nothing else I can spark an idea that works for the PU team even if it's something to counter my idea.

-Pubbs
... ... ... Shh ... ... ... The walls have feet ... ... ...

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »
Okay, back on topic guys.
In answer to your question / idea, as far as I can see it will not be implemented as it is up to the balancing team to deal with movesets.
And you can all see what Level5Pidgey's remarks were.

Offline Dexwin

• Beginning Trainer
  • Thats my greedy Sableye v.v I love him =']
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 06:20:15 PM »
I would say no because the stones are for evolving certain pokemons the elemental punches are learn through out TM's and some natural and besides Flareon with Fire Punch? Volteon with Thunder Punch? you did say when you use the stone they will learn the move... its not possible and some players like me will like to keep the Moves, natural abilities normal =\

Flyggy, Sharpblade, Irongross, Darkness, Scepty , Terrabyte, Twigy

Plasmie, Chupacabra, Frogger ,Darkness, Aotsuki , Croco

Offline Ryan Matthews

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 08:48:07 PM »
Volteon with Thunder Punch?

Your lack of Poké-knowledge made me laugh.

Offline boyben10

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
  • I m be gud artist now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 04:41:20 AM »
Also, Could You add Special Versions Of the Elemental Punches? Alakazam really suffered from the Physical/Special Split. You could have an Ice ray Move, a fire ray move, and a thunder ray move as Special counterparts.
I like slowpoke.

Offline Gold

• Beginning Trainer
  • 10 geek points if you know the spell is Ereshkigal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 05:26:46 AM »
Flareon with Fire Punch? Volteon with Thunder Punch? you did say when you use the stone they will learn the move... its not possible and some players like me will like to keep the Moves, natural abilities normal =\

For starters its Jolteon not Volteon but that is probablly a simple typo. But if you read the the first post. And apparently no one does...

POKEMON WITH ARMS AND HANDS ONLY!
I am getting tired of repeating myself. Just like tentacruel wouldn't learn ice punch because he has TENTACLES. The Eeveelutions wouldn't learn punches, BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE HANDS! Seriously almost all humans have hands or at least know what hands look like I shouldn't have to explain this so many times.

~A New Life~

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 11:27:31 AM »

POKEMON WITH ARMS AND HANDS ONLY!
I am getting tired of repeating myself.

Now you know how we feel....

Just like tentacruel wouldn't learn ice punch because he has TENTACLES. The Eeveelutions wouldn't learn punches, BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE HANDS! Seriously almost all humans have hands or at least know what hands look like I shouldn't have to explain this so many times.

Maybe we do have to explain this to people....Shall I help you out a little?
Click here, if you don't know what these things are.

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 11:50:17 AM »
Topic can pretty much be closed because I explained why not, right? :S

I shall repeat:

Pokemon are typically given moves only when they need them, for a variety of reasons.

For example, Flareon would likely be given Flare Blitz or some other Fire Physical move as it has amazing attack, but the only Stab it can make use of is Fire Fang.

An added move that has occurred in our balance changes has been Blastoise's Reflect - which we believe greatly adds to his versatility as both a supporting pokemon, and, a Physical Tank

So basically, if a Pokemon needs/would become more versatile with an elemental punch and it'd still be balanced - sure, we might give it an elemental punch.
If the move would be useless, unnecessary, overpowered, or another move could be given to better help the Pokemon, then no, it won't get an elemental punch.

We're doing everything on a Pokemon by Pokemon basis.
So this idea isn't useful to us I'm sorry. :<

If you recall all that stuff you did for Corsola, we're doing that stuff times about 5 for every single Pokemon. I didn't give you that exercise to see how fast you could type, I gave it to you because that's how we actually carry out the balancing in the back room. ^_^
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 07:48:25 PM »
Also, Could You add Special Versions Of the Elemental Punches? Alakazam really suffered from the Physical/Special Split. You could have an Ice ray Move, a fire ray move, and a thunder ray move as Special counterparts.

Take a look at Alakazams stats, you'll notice he has more Sp Atk/Sp Def than Atk and Def thats because the Sp Atk is to increase Dark,Ghost, Psychic moves they donnot depend on Attak (exept Shadow Ball) Sp Def is to protect the pokemon from does attacks (exept shadow ball) and Alakazam has low defence, if you want to raise an Alakazam's defence you can train him by giving him 2 irons per level and only train him with Onix, geodude , nosepass, lairon, any pokemons that gives Def EV's , try it out and u'll notice your alakazam geting +4/+5 Def points

You should take note that physical psychic, ghost and dark moves exist. Here are a few quite useful physical: Shadow Punch, Shadow Claw, Shadow Force,  Zen Headbutt, Psycho Cut, Crunch, Faint Attack, Sucker Punch, Night Slash.

Shadow Ball is on the other hand a special move.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 08:28:56 PM »
Warning sent to DEXWIN for triple posting.

Please modify posts in the future.
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"